Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 447243 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
eh?
« Reply #690 on: July 19, 2007, 11:01:30 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I've got $1,000 for the first pitcher to throw a ball at his knees rather than concede the crown to him.  I wonder if this has been bandied about among those who take the game seriously.

lighten up dude!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #691 on: July 27, 2007, 08:47:27 AM »
Giants Marlins series begins. Can hardly wait to welcome (NOT) Benitez. Going Sat and Sun hoping to see a Barry HR.

Before being jettisoned, Benitez became the most reviled Giants player since shortstop Johnnie LeMaster (1975-85), who once took the field at Candlestick Park wearing "Boo" on his jersey where his surname should have been.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #692 on: July 27, 2007, 08:50:42 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Giants Marlins series begins. Can hardly wait to welcome (NOT) Benitez. Going Sat and Sun hoping to see a Barry HR.

He's not AR-mando, he's THEIR 'mando!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #693 on: July 27, 2007, 08:56:15 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

He's not AR-mando, he's THEIR 'mando!

Still on AR payroll too  :x
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #694 on: July 28, 2007, 10:41:14 PM »
Excting game tonight. Mando was bood and cheered as well for doing what he does so well. At least now it's in our favor.

Crazy out in the lot with caboodles of news trucks broadcasting.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #695 on: July 28, 2007, 10:51:28 PM »
Excting game tonight. Mando was bood and cheered as well for doing what he does so well. At least now it's in our favor.

I was watching on Channel 2, and when 'mando started to warm up, Jon Miller said "the fans near the Marlins bullpen are greeting Benitez just as they would have if he were still a Giant". LOL!  Mike Krukow totally cracked up.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #696 on: July 29, 2007, 07:29:07 PM »

I was watching on Channel 2, and when 'mando started to warm up, Jon Miller said "the fans near the Marlins bullpen are greeting Benitez just as they would have if he were still a Giant". LOL!  Mike Krukow totally cracked up.

I was at the games both last night (great) and this afternoon (not so much), and I thought Armando's 8th inning stint kind of turned the game around for the Giants even tho he set the locals down in order. But his haughty presence definitely got the crowd going, sending some electricity thru the ballpark and in turn putting a charge into the Giants, who really came thru in the 9th. Big ups to Sweeney and Durham, who got the hits when we needed them.

Today's game, with the exception of the fifth inning when we busted out a 5-spot on the Tunas, wasn't so thrilling. The Floridas have an exciting young team that hits pretty darn well, from the 1 thru 8 spots in the order. Hope the Giants front office takes note.

The pregame tribute to the Giants' 87 squad, that came within one game of the World Series was really nice. A huge turnout, nearly the entire 97 roster, from Al Rosen and Roger Craig to stars like Will Clark and Jeffrey Leonard, on down thru the lineup to Joel Youngblood and Harry Spilman. The only names I didn't notice as being in attendance were Candy Maldonado and Chili Davis--and I could have missed them.  Craig said a few words as did Krukow and Dave Dravecky, who got one of the biggest ovations of the afternoon.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #697 on: July 29, 2007, 09:11:35 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
[The pregame tribute to the Giants' 87 squad, that came within one game of the World Series was really nice. A huge turnout, nearly the entire 97 roster, from Al Rosen and Roger Craig to stars like Will Clark and Jeffrey Leonard, on down thru the lineup to Joel Youngblood and Harry Spilman. The only names I didn't notice as being in attendance were Candy Maldonado and Chili Davis--and I could have missed them.  Craig said a few words as did Krukow and Dave Dravecky, who got one of the biggest ovations of the afternoon.

I was unfamiliar with Dravecky's story -- pretty amazing stuff. No surprise that he's a "Christian inspirational speaker" these days.  Per Wikipedia, he was accused of being a member of the John Birch Society as well (do they even still exist?)

Will Clark looks like James Gandolfini!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Dravecky
« Reply #698 on: July 29, 2007, 10:08:02 PM »
[The pregame tribute to the Giants' 87 squad, that came within one game of the World Series was really nice. A huge turnout, nearly the entire 97 roster, from Al Rosen and Roger Craig to stars like Will Clark and Jeffrey Leonard, on down thru the lineup to Joel Youngblood and Harry Spilman. The only names I didn't notice as being in attendance were Candy Maldonado and Chili Davis--and I could have missed them.  Craig said a few words as did Krukow and Dave Dravecky, who got one of the biggest ovations of the afternoon.
I was unfamiliar with Dravecky's story -- pretty amazing stuff. No surprise that he's a "Christian inspirational speaker" these days.  Per Wikipedia, he was accused of being a member of the John Birch Society as well (do they even still exist?)

Will Clark looks like James Gandolfini!

I was fortunate enough to see Dravecky pitch at Candlestick.  He was the classic 'pitcher' as opposed to a hurler.  He certainly didn't overpower anyone, but just did what needed to be done.  Such skill.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #699 on: July 29, 2007, 10:37:14 PM »
The 87 reunion was better than the game. I'm thrilled with my new Will Clark bobblehead. I went to many a game in 87 and they were a wonderful team. It was good so see them together again. The Giants organization does a nice job of pulling events together. Nice tribute to Uribe and Brown. Dave Dravecky is certainly a star. I have a ton of photos and will get them online soon.

During a bar run, my friend met Dontrelle Willis' mom. Said she was really nice and had a very good sense of humor. Apparently she played (plays?) softball and was an inspiration in getting Dontrelle to play.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #700 on: July 31, 2007, 02:30:39 PM »
Wow! Giants trade Matt Morris to Pittsburgh (!) for Rajai Davis and the proverbial Player To Be Named Later.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/31/SPGHPRA8QT4.DTL

Meanwhile the A's do no deals whatsoever.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #701 on: July 31, 2007, 03:02:41 PM »
Wow! Giants trade Matt Morris to Pittsburgh (!) for Rajai Davis and the proverbial Player To Be Named Later.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/31/SPGHPRA8QT4.DTL

Meanwhile the A's do no deals whatsoever.

File this under "offloading a large salary for next season". I feel bad for Morris--last year he was the hard-luck guy on the staff, pitching well but not getting any run support (see also: Matt Cain) and consequently having a losing record to show for it. This year he started out better, but he's been decidedly hittable since the first of June, and he just wasn't getting better. Ultimately this was a necessary deal for the Giants, but it must suck to be Morris right now.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #702 on: July 31, 2007, 04:08:13 PM »
File this under "offloading a large salary for next season". I feel bad for Morris--last year he was the hard-luck guy on the staff, pitching well but not getting any run support (see also: Matt Cain) and consequently having a losing record to show for it. This year he started out better, but he's been decidedly hittable since the first of June, and he just wasn't getting better. Ultimately this was a necessary deal for the Giants, but it must suck to be Morris right now.

I think Matt Morris is a consummate pro, who is maybe becoming a veritable Crash Davis, but who, like Crash, appreciates that he still has the opportunity to play the game that he loves.  And it makes sense if Pitt thinks he can be a good influence on a young pitching staff, and if the Giants think he's done as much of that as can be done with Lincecum, et al.  He'll always be a fan favorite* when he pitches in St. Louis, so nice that they traded him back to the NL Central.

*speaking of the '87 squad, all baseball purists (which includes Cardinal nation en masse) loved a guy like Dravecky, and we likewise all loved Will Clark - whose last MLB game was a Cards playoff loss - despite his brush up with the Wiz back in the day.  

Unlike a certain other honoree from the '87 squad, whom I won't name except to say that if he tried that one-flap-down shit against a LaRussa-managed squad...well, let's just say that he'd have been hit for sure the next time up & the benches would've cleared.  To this day I can't hear or read his name without muttering 'a**hole' under my breath.  I know he was y'all's big stick, but that was exceedingly poor sportsmanship & it's a serious knock against Craig, an otherwise excellent manager, that he allowed it to continue.  

It's worth pointing out (imho) that as much as Bonds has earned his bad rep over the years, he has NEVER pulled shit like that in the field of play.

Which is The. One. Reason. I can still admire the guy.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #703 on: August 02, 2007, 09:57:56 AM »
WOO HOO!  Drew Remenda returning to the SJ Sharks broadcast booth!

http://sharks.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=335537

SFGuy

The Sports Thread
« Reply #704 on: August 02, 2007, 04:19:22 PM »
Last fall, I mentioned that I participated in a football pool online (through ESPN's website). It's a private group and all of you are invited. ESPN keeps track of the results so you have to do it manually here. Makes things easier. Join here: http://games.espn.go.com/pigskin/group?entryIDFrom=1323

(if it doesn't work http://games.espn.go.com/pigskin find group name Yakuza Gaijin)

with the password CowboysSuck.

If you don't have a user name, just sign up. No worries about spam. I've been doing their games for 10 years and I don't get any spam from them.