Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 447261 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #720 on: August 10, 2007, 08:04:20 PM »
Barry hits his first homer off of Matt Morris!  Nice.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #721 on: August 10, 2007, 10:00:25 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Barry hits his first homer off of Matt Morris!  Nice.

There is nothing nice about that.  For any of the parties involved.

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #722 on: August 11, 2007, 06:05:56 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Meanwhile, the Giants deal Mark Sweeney...to the Dodgers?!?

jeezus, this has been one weird week for local castoffs.  Less than a week after Milton Bradley accuses the A's of being racist, they designate their only black player (Shannon Stewart) for assignment (!) ... and now this.

OK, I *swear* I read that in the Chronicle -- yet I'm watching the A's/Tigers game and Stewart is still very much an Oakland Athletic. WTF?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #723 on: August 20, 2007, 12:16:29 PM »
Looks like Mr. Vick will enter a "guilty" plea -- he could go to prison for as much as 5 years (tho' it'll probably be less):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/08/20/sports/s114337D00.DTL&tsp=1

So the man who electrocuted dogs will end up somebody's bitch, most likely.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #724 on: August 22, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
Looks like Mr. Vick will enter a "guilty" plea -- he could go to prison for as much as 5 years (tho' it'll probably be less):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/08/20/sports/s114337D00.DTL&tsp=1

So the man who electrocuted dogs will end up somebody's bitch, most likely.

from the "unclear on the concept" file:

NEW YORK (AP) - New York Knicks guard Stephon Marbury defended Michael Vick, calling dogfighting a sport and comparing it to hunting.

Marbury spoke Monday about the federal dogfighting conspiracy charges against Vick while promoting his basketball shoe in Albany, N.Y.

"I think it's tough,'' Marbury said, according to Albany TV station Capital News 9. "I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors.''

Uh, Stephon, the deer stuff? It's called "hunting". And you have to have a "license". And nobody keeps deer as pets. Oh, never mind...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #725 on: August 30, 2007, 12:58:12 PM »
Just became aware that the Yankees have a pitcher named Joba Chamberlain -- it's apparently pronounced like "Jabba the Hutt". What WERE his parents thinking? (and no, he's not black.)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
fishing for a connection
« Reply #726 on: August 30, 2007, 01:23:55 PM »
NEW YORK (AP) - New York Knicks guard Stephon Marbury defended Michael Vick, calling dogfighting a sport and comparing it to hunting.

Marbury spoke Monday about the federal dogfighting conspiracy charges against Vick while promoting his basketball shoe in Albany, N.Y.

"I think it's tough,'' Marbury said, according to Albany TV station Capital News 9. "I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors.''

http://www.nippyfish.net/fightingbettas.html
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #727 on: September 21, 2007, 03:46:21 PM »
It's official: Barry won't be back with the Giants next year. (Bonds, that is)

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/21/SPCHSBUV3.DTL

SFGuy

The Sports Thread
« Reply #728 on: September 22, 2007, 02:58:51 AM »
Just became aware that the Yankees have a pitcher named Joba Chamberlain -- it's apparently pronounced like "Jabba the Hutt". What WERE his parents thinking? (and no, he's not black.)

Just noticed this today. From reading his bio in the Yankees media guide, it said "as the 41st overall pick in 2006, became of the highest-drafted Native American in baseball history. I guess it's a Native American name.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #729 on: September 22, 2007, 11:01:09 AM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"

Just noticed this today. From reading his bio in the Yankees media guide, it said "as the 41st overall pick in 2006, became of the highest-drafted Native American in baseball history. I guess it's a Native American name.

Oops.

Still, ya gotta feel for him as a little kid going to school in the '80s. :wink:

SFGuy

The Sports Thread
« Reply #730 on: September 24, 2007, 02:45:20 AM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"

Oops.

Still, ya gotta feel for him as a little kid going to school in the '80s. :wink:

More like the 90s. He was born in 1985. Makes all of us feel old.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #731 on: September 24, 2007, 08:09:14 AM »

Good. Now the Giants can work on fielding a competitive team again. There was no chance of that happening with the Melon around.  My assumption is that he'll go to the Angels to DH next year.  I hope he hits .135.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #732 on: September 24, 2007, 08:37:05 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Good. Now the Giants can work on fielding a competitive team again. There was no chance of that happening with the Melon around.  My assumption is that he'll go to the Angels to DH next year.  I hope he hits .135.

I'm going to my final Giants game of the season tomorrow night and hope to see him play. Not sure if he's injured or not.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #733 on: September 24, 2007, 09:34:25 AM »

What do the NY press think of him joining the Yankees?  Doesn't George still have to weigh in on any/all high-profile free-agents?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #734 on: September 24, 2007, 09:48:14 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

What do the NY press think of him joining the Yankees?  Doesn't George still have to weigh in on any/all high-profile free-agents?

George, by many accounts, has gone senile; and with Johnny Damon and Jason Giambi physically falling apart, they've already got a surplus of damaged goods in the DH slot.