Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 447235 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Exploratorium and Baseball
« Reply #675 on: July 09, 2007, 07:47:42 PM »
well, I can't let this go by without a plug for some really nice people.   I have been fortunate enough to attend a workshop this year about the science of baseball, which has led to this story in the Chronicle today:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/09/MNGTDQT9H81.DTL

There is an excellent video too inside the online story; I recommend it highly.  Sebastian Martin, the guy who "threw like a European" when he started, is a really cool guy.  I'm halfway through a 4-week teacher's institute program, and it's kind of like being a kid in the candy store.  We get to walk around the exibits in the morning (or all day Monday) before the crowds of kids arrive, and hear the real reasons the exhibits work.  It's amazing how far out the science is for something that on a kid's level, is just plain fun.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #676 on: July 10, 2007, 12:13:46 AM »
It was a great day/night for the Home Run Derby. Weather was great! Not a single ball came near me, I was on the walkway between right field and the water. Amusing to watch the water party. I'll send you links to online photos. Some good pix and some you can move past quickly.
Sharks bleed teal.

SFGuy

The Sports Thread
« Reply #677 on: July 10, 2007, 02:40:36 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
It was a great day/night for the Home Run Derby. Weather was great! Not a single ball came near me, I was on the walkway between right field and the water. Amusing to watch the water party. I'll send you links to online photos. Some good pix and some you can move past quickly.

With all the stuff that happened, Babe Ruth was turning in his grave. While the Derby was fun, some of the other stuff wasn't. The two song Counting Crows set was pointless. I HATED hearing the XM commercial the played in the ball park with one of the worst songs I've ever heard was playing (Ali, if you know what that song is let me know so I could completely avoid it).

It was fun seeing Vlad "Should of been a Giant" Guerrero hit the 500ft homer, though. Matt Holliday is a pretty good power hitter and Alex Rios did better then I thought he would.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #678 on: July 10, 2007, 07:03:46 AM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"

With all the stuff that happened, Babe Ruth was turning in his grave. While the Derby was fun, some of the other stuff wasn't. The two song Counting Crows set was pointless. I HATED hearing the XM commercial the played in the ball park with one of the worst songs I've ever heard was playing (Ali, if you know what that song is let me know so I could completely avoid it).

It was fun seeing Vlad "Should of been a Giant" Guerrero hit the 500ft homer, though. Matt Holliday is a pretty good power hitter and Alex Rios did better then I thought he would.

I got home from work in time for the finals.  Worst round ever: Vladdie and Her Name Is Rios hit a combined total of 5 balls out.

But all was atoned for by Alicat's fab pix!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #679 on: July 10, 2007, 07:48:38 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Her Name Is Rios

:?:  :?:  :?:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #680 on: July 10, 2007, 08:30:44 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Her Name Is Rios

Alex Rios.  And he dances on the sand.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #681 on: July 10, 2007, 08:43:31 AM »
Her Name Is Rios

Alex Rios.  And he dances on the sand.

Damn, I thought you were outing him.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #682 on: July 10, 2007, 10:02:47 AM »

I had an experience similar to Ali's except I was in my regular seats rather than on the Portwalk. but I didn't come close to any balls either, except during batting practice when I was hanging out down by where they tally BB's intentional walks and hang up the chickens. Gorgeous weather, but for me the HRD was all about round two. No one really lit fire in round one, but the 4 who made the second round really did. Rios was a big surprise, but I think he'd shot his load by the time they got to the finals, so it was a walk in the park for Vlad to hit three and win.

And yeah, the two songs by Side Show Bob and his band of hired guns were pretty ludicrous. The pyrotechnics pretty much obscured the entire second song--we were speculating that the drummer finished with no hair left on the back of his head.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #683 on: July 10, 2007, 08:47:24 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

I had an experience similar to Ali's except I was in my regular seats rather than on the Portwalk. but I didn't come close to any balls either, except during batting practice when I was hanging out down by where they tally BB's intentional walks and hang up the chickens. Gorgeous weather, but for me the HRD was all about round two. No one really lit fire in round one, but the 4 who made the second round really did. Rios was a big surprise, but I think he'd shot his load by the time they got to the finals, so it was a walk in the park for Vlad to hit three and win.

And yeah, the two songs by Side Show Bob and his band of hired guns were pretty ludicrous. The pyrotechnics pretty much obscured the entire second song--we were speculating that the drummer finished with no hair left on the back of his head.

I didn't get to see who did the Anthem earlier, but when they introduced Paula Cole (!) to sing "God Bless America" I said "WTF??? What rock did they find her under?"  But she actually did one of the nicer (i.e., least-bombastic) versions I've ever heard of the tune.  Still, an odd choice -- new CD coming out? sleeping with someone at Fox?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Anthem
« Reply #684 on: July 10, 2007, 09:21:19 PM »
I didn't get to see who did the Anthem earlier.

It was Chris Isaak and his drummer Kenny.  Relatively tame.  Chris is always so toungue-in-cheek, so he might have been out of his element singing a song like that.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Anthem
« Reply #685 on: July 10, 2007, 10:24:45 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

It was Chris Isaak and his drummer Kenny.  Relatively tame.  Chris is always so toungue-in-cheek, so he might have been out of his element singing a song like that.

Great game, much colder than yesterday.
I have video of Chris performing the anthem and then the fly over. Also video of the Willie celebration and player intros. I'll try to get them online soon. I have a great shot of Haren pitching to Barry and the swing that shoulda been a home run. Urth, I hung out in VB between 317 and 318.
Sharks bleed teal.

SFGuy

Re: Anthem
« Reply #686 on: July 11, 2007, 12:41:25 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Great game, much colder than yesterday.
I have video of Chris performing the anthem and then the fly over. Also video of the Willie celebration and player intros. I'll try to get them online soon. I have a great shot of Haren pitching to Barry and the swing that shoulda been a home run. Urth, I hung out in VB between 317 and 318.

That is pretty close to where I have my regular seats. I was in my VR319 for all 3 All Star events. I had a great time.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #687 on: July 12, 2007, 01:17:29 PM »
Rickey's back in the bigs!  Mr Henderson has just been hired as the Mets' new hitting coach.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/mlb/news/AAN4090031.htm

So the "oldies" are back in NY in more ways than one :wink:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #688 on: July 19, 2007, 02:26:23 PM »
Barry breaks his hitless streak in a big way, hitting TWO homers at Wrigley today:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/19/SPGVNR3IGS2.DTL

...making it possible he could tie or pass Aaron at Bud Selig's home field this weekend.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #689 on: July 19, 2007, 10:37:19 PM »
Barry breaks his hitless streak in a big way, hitting TWO homers at Wrigley today:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/19/SPGVNR3IGS2.DTL

...making it possible he could tie or pass Aaron at Bud Selig's home field this weekend.

I've got $1,000 for the first pitcher to throw a ball at his knees rather than concede the crown to him.  I wonder if this has been bandied about among those who take the game seriously.