Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 447222 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #645 on: May 14, 2007, 08:48:20 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
So the A's were down by 2 runs (A's 5 Indians 7) in the 9th when I left the gym. By the time I got home, they had won, 10-7!  Now I really am in love with Jersey Boy Jack Cust.

Went to the game Friday night, in which he broke open a 1-1 pitchers' duel in the bottom of the 7th with a blast deep into the right field bleachers.  The scorebaord had earlier noted that he had over 1100 minor league at bats...that's like 10 years!

Yeah, he's been around -- they got him from the Padres for, like, nothing. But now he's AL Player of the Week, having hot 6 HRs in 7 games.  He's Roy Hobbs!  Cue the Randy Newman music!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #646 on: May 14, 2007, 08:54:28 AM »
So the A's were down by 2 runs (A's 5 Indians 7) in the 9th when I left the gym. By the time I got home, they had won, 10-7!  Now I really am in love with Jersey Boy Jack Cust.

Went to the game Friday night, in which he broke open a 1-1 pitchers' duel in the bottom of the 7th with a blast deep into the right field bleachers.  The scorebaord had earlier noted that he had over 1100 minor league at bats...that's like 10 years!

Yeah, he's been around -- they got him from the Padres for, like, nothing. But now he's AL Player of the Week, having hot 6 HRs in 7 games.  He's Roy Hobbs!  Cue the Randy Newman music!

No shit.  If this guy has any kind of back story to his life (sibling who died young preferably!) can there be any doubt that a movie will be made?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #647 on: May 15, 2007, 10:05:36 PM »
I don't call myself a basketball fan but watching the Warriors playoff (final?) game is killing me. I WANT them to win!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #648 on: May 16, 2007, 09:20:23 PM »
I lust for Cust!

He just hit another HR and gave the A's the lead in what was a tied game in the 8th.  That gives him 7 HRs in May (so far), the most in the American League.  As Gaz might say, I want to have his child.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #649 on: May 16, 2007, 11:45:35 PM »
I lust for Cust!

He just hit another HR and gave the A's the lead in what was a tied game in the 8th.  That gives him 7 HRs in May (so far), the most in the American League.  As Gaz might say, I want to have his child.

Then came the A's bullpen, and it was all for naught.

(That said, Cust is still the biggest story on the A's so far this year.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #650 on: May 18, 2007, 11:02:50 PM »
Anyone else see Barry Z's horrible evening at his former place of employment?

I was there, and god knows I've attended games when he was an Athletic where he had a bad night, walking guys left'n'right, but I've never seen him walk-in TWO RUNS in one inning -- the first inning, no less. Has anyone done that before, ever? Much less against their former team?

Good thing he has his guitar to fall back on :wink:

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #651 on: May 18, 2007, 11:08:44 PM »

I was there, and god knows I've attended games when he was an Athletic where he had a bad night, walking guys left'n'right, but I've never seen him walk-in THREE RUNS in succession. And in the first inning, no less. Has anyone done that before, ever? Much less against their former team?

I'll report in after seeing/hearing his guitar work this coming Thursday.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #652 on: May 21, 2007, 12:02:43 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
I lust for Cust!

Then came the A's bullpen, and it was all for naught.

(That said, Cust is still the biggest story on the A's so far this year.)

Nice piece about Cust in today's Chron -- but the A's need to update his bio on their website: it says he's single , but it turns out he's married with an 8-month-old daughter.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #653 on: May 22, 2007, 09:02:40 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

I was there, and god knows I've attended games when he was an Athletic where he had a bad night, walking guys left'n'right, but I've never seen him walk-in THREE RUNS in succession. And in the first inning, no less. Has anyone done that before, ever? Much less against their former team?

He phoned into KFOG this morning to talk about the fundraiser,don't know if anyone else  heard it.  Omar Vizquel is also going to be in the band, and playing drums as long as he's the second drummer, not the only drummer.  BZ sez Omar "sings well".

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #654 on: May 22, 2007, 09:05:31 AM »
He phoned into KFOG this morning to talk about the fundraiser,don't know if anyone else  heard it.  Omar Vizquel is also going to be in the band, and playing drums as long as he's the second drummer, not the only drummer.  BZ sez Omar "sings well".

And Omar sez BZ pitched a helluva game Friday nite :wink:

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #655 on: May 22, 2007, 09:27:22 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

I know Zito is supposed to be a decent guitarist and Omar has recorded a few things himself, but I hope the audience isn't expecting too much. I have a feeling this is going to be more on the level of a bunch of weekend warriors messing around in someone's basement than the second coming of the Rolling Stones.

There have been a few athletes who have transitioned to music careers--I remember seeing Jack McDowell's band V.I.E.W. open for the Smithereens once, but he was not the instrumental muscle of the band (although I think he'd just won the Cy Young the year before).

And Waymon Tisdale, ex-Sacramento King seems to be getting some reknown as a jazz bassist--I've seen his name in various ads and bookings in the last couple years.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #656 on: May 22, 2007, 09:40:30 AM »
I know Zito is supposed to be a decent guitarist and Omar has recorded a few things himself, but I hope the audience isn't expecting too much. I have a feeling this is going to be more on the level of a bunch of weekend warriors messing around in someone's basement than the second coming of the Rolling Stones.

Well, the basement they're messing around in belongs to Eddie Money, since he's going to be 'the muscle' Thursday night.

There have been a few athletes who have transitioned to music careers--I remember seeing Jack McDowell's band V.I.E.W. open for the Smithereens once, but he was not the instrumental muscle of the band (although I think he'd just won the Cy Young the year before).

And Waymon Tisdale, ex-Sacramento King seems to be getting some reknown as a jazz bassist--I've seen his name in various ads and bookings in the last couple years.

Wayman Tisdale is quite possibly a better musician than b-ball player.  Although he was a 1st team all-American & won an Olympic gold medal on the team featuring Michael Jordan (where he beat out Charles Barkley for a power forward spot), he now has something like 7 albums and multiple Grammy noms to his credit.  I have heard people like Dave Koz & Bob James on KKSF speaking highly of him.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #657 on: May 23, 2007, 08:41:59 PM »
AAAAAAACK! Turned on the Giants game just on time to see Cammie Blackstone (double AAACK) interviewing Condi Rice from her front-row seat at AT&T Park.  I thought football was her game. (Or lying.)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #658 on: May 23, 2007, 09:12:33 PM »
AAAAAAACK! Turned on the Giants game just on time to see Cammie Blackstone (double AAACK) interviewing Condi Rice from her front-row seat at AT&T Park.  I thought football was her game. (Or lying.)

Loving is really her game.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #659 on: May 23, 2007, 09:22:53 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Loving is really her game.

LOL! I don't think she believes in the boogie, though.  (and the boogie sure as HELL don't believe in her!)