Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 447216 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #630 on: April 30, 2007, 07:20:43 PM »
As the Sharks game gets underway, subbing for Marty McSorley is... Drew Remenda!  YAY!!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #631 on: April 30, 2007, 11:27:58 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
As the Sharks game gets underway, subbing for Marty McSorley is... Drew Remenda!  YAY!!

Yay indeed. I popped up to 215 between the 1st and 2nd periods and hollered over a "welcome back Drew!" He was about 8 ft away from me and was all smiles. Totally enjoying his adoring fans. Great game, can hardly wait until Wednesday.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #632 on: May 03, 2007, 08:28:36 AM »
Last night at the Tank was feeling like one of the "best games ever" nights and then it all went bad. :cry: My head hurts.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #633 on: May 03, 2007, 08:37:53 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Last night at the Tank was feeling like one of the "best games ever" nights and then it all went bad. :cry: My head hurts.

Total bummer watching at home, 33 seconds away from victory and then... BOOM.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #634 on: May 04, 2007, 08:18:21 AM »
How 'bout them Warriors!?

Cover of the Chron this morning; BELIEVE IT!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #635 on: May 04, 2007, 09:14:56 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

I'm on that band wagon.  Awesome finish to the season, spectacular first round.

I do beleive!

Somehow, they made me care.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #636 on: May 04, 2007, 09:27:35 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

I do beleive!

Quite the amazing story. They're the first #8 team to beat a #1 team since the playoffs went to 7 games in the first round.

So who do you think they have a better chance of beating in the next round, Houston or Utah? I don't have a clue--not a basketball fan at all.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #637 on: May 04, 2007, 09:46:10 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "Rod"

I do beleive!

Quite the amazing story. They're the first #8 team to beat a #1 team since the playoffs went to 7 games in the first round.

So who do you think they have a better chance of beating in the next round, Houston or Utah? I don't have a clue--not a basketball fan at all.

Yao Ming probably presents worse matchup problems than anyone on the Jazz, but it's the Warriors guards who are the real matchup problems for the other team.  Deron Williams of the Jazz might be better able to play defense on Baron Davis than anyone on the Rockets, so it's really a push I think.  

But they handled the team with the best record in the regular season since Michael Jordan left the Bulls, so they're not really going to be too worried about it.  I give them good odds to make the conference finals, but getting past either the Suns or the Spurs might be a stretch.

Note to Rod - did you see that Bill 'The Sports Guy' Simmons jumped on the Warriors bandwagon quite early & in his column yesterday morning & guaranteed a win in the Arena because he said the Oakland fans are the best?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #638 on: May 07, 2007, 07:26:23 PM »
Dunno if Alicat is at the Tank or watching at home, but things ain't lookin' so good for the Sharks, down 2-0 in the 2nd period.  But once again Marty McSorley was "unable to be with us tonite" and so Drew "Sexiest Bald Man Alive" Remenda is subbing. Methinks Mr McSorley might be out of a job.

Meanwhile the Giants are playing the Mets, Zito is pitching, and Omar Vizquel put on a fielding clinic in the top half of the 1st, making all 3 outs. And it being that rare hot night at the park, I'm hoping for SF Home Run Derby.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
gigantes
« Reply #639 on: May 07, 2007, 09:54:51 PM »
Meanwhile the Giants are playing the Mets, Zito is pitching, and Omar Vizquel put on a fielding clinic in the top half of the 1st, making all 3 outs. And it being that rare hot night at the park, I'm hoping for SF Home Run Derby.

I was keeping track via the web, and 1st half of game seemed to be a pitcher's duel, then Benji goes wild!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #640 on: May 09, 2007, 12:06:13 AM »
Dunno if Alicat is at the Tank or watching at home, but things ain't lookin' so good for the Sharks, down 2-0 in the 2nd period.  But once again Marty McSorley was "unable to be with us tonite" and so Drew "Sexiest Bald Man Alive" Remenda is subbing. Methinks Mr McSorley might be out of a job.

Yep. Was at the season closer. I wish I had been able to feast my eyes upon Drew "Sexiest Bald Man Alive" Remenda. Wish he'd come back! It was such an early start, I forgot my binocs and radio at home. I had a nice seat in 102 which was on the Red Wing side. Row 3 was a treat, got to see lots of crushing action and unfortunately saw Cheechoos face smooshed up against the glass. I made it to every Round 1 and 2 home game. My wallet is empty. A very sad way to end the season. Now cheering for the Warriors and might get to a few Giants games. Not sure who I want to cheer for in the Stanley quest.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #641 on: May 11, 2007, 10:15:26 PM »
Whoa Nellie! Winning by 20, good golly!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #642 on: May 11, 2007, 10:59:21 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Whoa Nellie! Winning by 20, good golly!

Indeed, and about time. Hope they can keep it up.  A good nite all around, Giants & A's both won big.  Jack Cust: my new favorite Athletic. Big beefy boy from Joizey. (What exit?)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #643 on: May 13, 2007, 10:08:48 PM »
So the A's were down by 2 runs (A's 5 Indians 7) in the 9th when I left the gym. By the time I got home, they had won, 10-7!  Now I really am in love with Jersey Boy Jack Cust.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/14/AS.TMP

Oh and the Giants had Home Run Derby against the Rockies in Denver, winning 15-2, and one of SF's new guys hit for the cycle.

The Warriors, on the other hand...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #644 on: May 14, 2007, 08:40:57 AM »
So the A's were down by 2 runs (A's 5 Indians 7) in the 9th when I left the gym. By the time I got home, they had won, 10-7!  Now I really am in love with Jersey Boy Jack Cust.

Went to the game Friday night, in which he broke open a 1-1 pitchers' duel in the bottom of the 7th with a blast deep into the right field bleachers.  The scorebaord had earlier noted that he had over 1100 minor league at bats...that's like 10 years!

--Carlos Santana, 2010