Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 447196 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #600 on: March 07, 2007, 08:37:44 PM »
So after going on the DL how many times the last two seasons, NOW Mark Kotsay decides to have back surgery? In March? Oh brilliant.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/03/07/sports/s192957S59.DTL&type=sports

He'll be out at least three months. I guess it's better to miss the first half of the season than the second, but you'd think he'd have had it checked out, I dunno, maybe last NOVEMBER?
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #601 on: March 07, 2007, 08:43:53 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
So after going on the DL how many times the last two seasons, NOW Mark Kotsay decides to have back surgery? In March? Oh brilliant.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/03/07/sports/s192957S59.DTL&type=sports

He'll be out at least three months. I guess it's better to miss the first half of the season than the second, but you'd think he'd have had it checked out, I dunno, maybe last NOVEMBER?

Yeah, but you say that as if an outfield of Bradley, Swisher, and Kielty/Stewart is a bad thing . . .
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #602 on: March 07, 2007, 09:07:47 PM »

I have a permanent back injury (compression fracture of the L2 to be specific) and I've been told by doctors that back surgery is absolutely your choice of last resort.  The results are never guaranteed, and it's fairly common to come out of back surgery worse off than when you went in.  I wish Kotsay the best, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #603 on: March 07, 2007, 10:31:48 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Yeah, but you say that as if an outfield of Bradley, Swisher, and Kielty/Stewart is a bad thing . . .

I thought Swisher was more or less a lock at first this season. Of course, they haven't parted with Dan Johnson yet, so I suppose this could constitute a change of plans.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #604 on: March 28, 2007, 12:32:30 PM »
Former MLB pitcher Ugeth Urbina sentenced to 14 years in prison for attempted murder:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/03/28/urbina.sentence.ap/index.html
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #605 on: March 28, 2007, 01:56:10 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Former MLB pitcher Ugeth Urbina sentenced to 14 years in prison for attempted murder:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/03/28/urbina.sentence.ap/index.html

Then I should scratch him from my fantasy list?  

I am so far out of it, and the draft is SATURDAY!!!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #606 on: March 28, 2007, 10:03:21 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Then I should scratch him from my fantasy list?  

I am so far out of it, and the draft is SATURDAY!!!

Urbina now leads the league in holds.

Meantime, here's the team I wound up with in my annual Boston draft (it's a very competitive 16-team league):

C - Barajas
C - McCann
1B - Howard
2B - Utley
3B - Marte
SS - Hardy
MI - Uggla
CI - Johnson, Dan (fingers crossed here)
OF - Burrell
OF - Markakis
OF - Nady
OF - Francoeur
OF - Rowand
DH - Dellucci

SP - Capuano
SP - Eaton
SP - Garcia, Freddy
SP - Greinke
SP - Pettitte
SP - Zito
RP - Rivera
RP - Lidge
RP - Zumaya

Bench: Pedroia, Reed Johnson, Mulder
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #607 on: April 03, 2007, 08:51:42 AM »
this could just as easily gone into the "local radio" thread. I heard about this on the SF Radio message board, now the Chron's A's Blog has picked it up -- apparently the A's game broadcasts on KIFR/KYCY are on a TWENTY SECOND DELAY.  So bringing a radio to the ballpark and listening to the call of the game as you watch is (to say the least) very frustrating.  CBS says all their stations are required to delay live events by 20 seconds ever since Janet Jackson Nipplegate.  KNBR doesn't do this with the Giants.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=21&entry_id=14978#comments

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #608 on: April 03, 2007, 09:20:09 AM »
this could just as easily gone into the "local radio" thread. I heard about this on the SF Radio message board, now the Chron's A's Blog has picked it up -- apparently the A's game broadcasts on KIFR/KYCY are on a TWENTY SECOND DELAY.  So bringing a radio to the ballpark and listening to the call of the game as you watch is (to say the least) very frustrating.  CBS says all their stations are required to delay live events by 20 seconds ever since Janet Jackson Nipplegate.  KNBR doesn't do this with the Giants.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=21&entry_id=14978#comments

Oh jeez. How completely idiotic is that? Maybe they could start delaying the game 20 seconds to match the radio broadcast?
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #609 on: April 03, 2007, 11:35:53 AM »

Oh jeez. How completely idiotic is that? Maybe they could start delaying the game 20 seconds to match the radio broadcast?

I was watching golf Sunday, and I think Stuart Appleby cost NBC a healthy little fine after hitting it into the water on 18.  Unless he was yelling "Duck!"
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #610 on: April 03, 2007, 09:18:09 PM »
GLORIOUS day at the ballpark. Wish the Giants didn't get spanked so badly but that's the way it went. Can only get better.
Vida Blue sat behind me for about an inning and a half. Chatted with people behind me and I talked a little to him. Last Friday I met a bunch of the players and he posed for a few pictures with me and signed one of my b-balls. He was nice today and looked through my little album of pictures from Friday.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #611 on: April 04, 2007, 07:42:57 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
GLORIOUS day at the ballpark. Wish the Giants didn't get spanked so badly but that's the way it went. Can only get better.
Vida Blue sat behind me for about an inning and a half. Chatted with people behind me and I talked a little to him. Last Friday I met a bunch of the players and he posed for a few pictures with me and signed one of my b-balls. He was nice today and looked through my little album of pictures from Friday.

indeed, not an auspicious start on either side of the bay, what with the A's dropping 2 in a row to the team they OWNED last year.

I have a ticket to Giants/Cards on Thur April 19th -- day game. I noticed they've reduced the price on the upper level seats farthest away from Home Plate; they're now 10 bucks, at least for some games.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #612 on: April 05, 2007, 09:57:29 PM »
Hey MIKEY!  Piazza gets his first HR as an Athletic, and gives the A's the lead in the 9th!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #613 on: April 06, 2007, 12:07:02 AM »
Giants win!!!!  Sharks win!!!

Another great night at the Tank. Sharks defeat the Flames. A lot of rough housing but that's the Calgary way I think. Pricks.
Lotsa action and we get pizza with a score of 4. Did well Sunday too.

Speaking of Flames.... not funny but a heckuva sight to see. After leaving the tank, getting on 87 and getting to 101 (I think I was on 101 already but not sure), there are police lights ahead. Lo and behold a freaking car is on the side of the road engulfed in flames. Full on colorful fire with black smoke. Wild. Only a cop car behind it. No fire trucks, nothing.

Calgary fans who left the game early? :lol:
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #614 on: April 06, 2007, 12:08:46 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Giants win!!!!  Sharks win!!!

Another great night at the Tank. Sharks defeat the Flames. A lot of rough housing but that's the Calgary way I think. Pricks.
Lotsa action and we get pizza with a score of 4. Did well Sunday too.

Speaking of Flames.... not funny but a heckuva sight to see. After leaving the tank, getting on 87 and getting to 101 (I think I was on 101 already but not sure), there are police lights ahead. Lo and behold a freaking car is on the side of the road engulfed in flames. Full on colorful fire with black smoke. Wild. Only a cop car behind it. No fire trucks, nothing.

Calgary fans who left the game early? :lol:

Springtime, the smell of Car-B-Que in the air....
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing