Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 447136 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #540 on: December 30, 2006, 02:23:20 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
More on the Zito signing and the other offers he got:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/12/30/SPGFRNAG9D1.DTL

That bit about his dad calling the Yankees at the last minute is kinda weird.

Yeah, I saw that in the paper this am. Very odd--particularly since he called on Friday, but the article says that the deal with the G's was finalized on Thursday. maybe dad's a closet Yankee fan who thought he could exert enough parental pressure for BZ to jump if the money were nearly as good. If Barry truly did not know his dad was dangling him in front of the Yanks, I bet there's some serious butt-chewing going on in the Zito household today--both from Barry and his agent.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #541 on: January 03, 2007, 03:28:05 PM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #542 on: January 05, 2007, 07:24:49 AM »
Commitment to... finding a new coach. Raiders are no longer a Shell game:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/01/05/SPGA2NDHSM1.DTL

In other news, how 'bout those Sharks? Hope Ali was at that game last nite.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #543 on: January 06, 2007, 11:50:21 PM »
Commitment to... finding a new coach. Raiders are no longer a Shell game:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/01/05/SPGA2NDHSM1.DTL

In other news, how 'bout those Sharks? Hope Ali was at that game last nite.

Nope but I was there tonight. Clowe managed a hat trick! And, Erhoff (who was pretty feisty) had a Gordy Howe hat trick, a goal, an assist and a fight.
Totally fab game. VERY physical. We lost Gorges early to a face laceration and fights and scuffles continued to break out the whole game.

Managed to see a bit of the SEA DAL game too. Used my binocs to watch a TV in one of the boxes and saw the end zone muff and fumble.

Editing Sunday:
GORDIE HOWE HAT TRICK
It is not an official NHL stat, but every NHL player knows that a goal, assist and fight equals a Gordie Howe Hat Trick.  On Saturday night, Christian Ehrhoff posted his first and the ninth in Sharks history.  

It marked the first time a Sharks player had a goal, assist and fight in the same game since Nov. 25, 2002 when Brad Stuart accomplished it.  Other Sharks to make the mark are Matt Bradley, Marleau, Ron Stern, Owen Nolan (twice), Jim Kyte and Link Gaetz, who recorded the first one in San Jose inaugural season on Jan. 25, 1991.

The Gordie Howe Hat Trick is not the most common accomplishment in Ehrhoff’s native Germany.

“I was familiar with it through Canadians playing in Germany,” said Ehrhoff.  “It is not popular over there.  If you fight, you get kicked out for the game.”

Ehrhoff is a strong setup man and is quickly learning the right way to score, but fighting will never be his strong suit.  However, something needed to be done when Ole-Kristian Tollefsen was running around looking for trouble and Ehrhoff landed a couple of blows and took the Norwegian down in a headlock.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #544 on: January 08, 2007, 11:46:16 AM »
So I figured I should start monitoring the Mets & Yanks websites so that I can buy tix to the A's games at Shea and at the Cathedral in the Bronx. And lo, even tho' the Mets haven't put all their single-game tix on sale yet, for some reason a smattering of games were available -- and the Friday nite A's/Mets game was one of them! I scored a pair of upper deck Sec 15, Row A (between Home & 1st).  So Gaz, mark Fri 6/22/07 on yer calendar.

Yanks haven't put anything on sale yet; that'll be a tougher ticket I assume.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
They're trying to reassemble the 2002 team!
« Reply #545 on: January 10, 2007, 09:34:35 AM »
Giants sign Russ Ortiz...again.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/10/SPG8QNFSSH1.DTL

Who's next--Benito Santiago?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: They're trying to reassemble the 2002 team!
« Reply #546 on: January 10, 2007, 09:39:48 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

LOL!  actually, as he's coming VERY cheap ($300G or so) and is "competing" for the 5th slot, I say hey, why not?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 10, 2007, 09:46:48 AM »

LOL!  actually, as he's coming VERY cheap ($300G or so) and is "competing" for the 5th slot, I say hey, why not?

Indeed--$380K, actually. We have the same pitching coach we had when he was here before, so if Rigs can figure out what he's been doing wrong and get him back to his old form and he gets, say, a dozen wins, Russ will be the bargain of the year.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 10, 2007, 02:07:25 PM »

Indeed--$380K, actually. We have the same pitching coach we had when he was here before, so if Rigs can figure out what he's been doing wrong and get him back to his old form and he gets, say, a dozen wins, Russ will be the bargain of the year.

I don't like him for the sole reason that I think he looks like Ray Romano.  Whom I don't find the least bit funny.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 10, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I don't like him for the sole reason that I think he looks like Ray Romano.  Whom I don't find the least bit funny.

He's also active in FOCA, which a a very scary organization.

Hey Gaz -- Rob Corddry is performing in SF (Marin, actually) this weekend.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 10, 2007, 07:19:22 PM »

Google Hit No. 1: Welcome to the Federation of Ontario Cottagers' Associations (FOCA) website. ...

Google Hit No. 2: The Federal Office of Civil Aviation (FOCA) is responsible for aviation development and the supervision of civil aviation activities in Switzerland. ...

Google Hit No. 3: The Foča Region (known in 1992-2004 as Srbinje Region) is one of the seven regions of Republika Srpska in Bosnia and Herzegovina. ...

Google Hit No. 4: The internet site for the Fellowship of Orthodox Christians in America, ...

Imagine my initial confusion.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 10, 2007, 09:17:32 PM »

Google Hit No. 1: Welcome to the Federation of Ontario Cottagers' Associations (FOCA) website. ...

Google Hit No. 2: The Federal Office of Civil Aviation (FOCA) ...

Google Hit No. 3: The Foča Region (known in 1992-2004 as Srbinje Region) is one of the seven regions of Republika Srpska in Bosnia and Herzegovina. ...

Google Hit No. 4: The internet site for the Fellowship of Orthodox Christians in America, ...

Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Very powerful, especially in baseball.

SFGuy

The Sports Thread
« Reply #552 on: January 11, 2007, 12:50:11 AM »
Barry Bonds apparently failed a drug test for amphetamines and blamed it on a teammate (who is still with the team). Read the AP report below.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2727325

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #553 on: January 11, 2007, 07:38:59 AM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"
Barry Bonds apparently failed a drug test for amphetamines and blamed it on a teammate (who is still with the team). Read the AP report below.

what a classy guy, eh?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #554 on: January 11, 2007, 08:47:48 AM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"

what a classy guy, eh?

Is anyone surprised?

A shame, really: The Giants have the pitching staff to contend, but they'll never be a contender while they've got one guy willing to throw the other 24 under buses one by one.  I would hope there's language in Bonds's contract that voids it in the event of positive drug tests.

And what will surely be brought up a thousand times this weekend: If you're Bonds, and giving him the benefit of the doubt you've been burned by using other people's stuff (Sheffield's flaxseed oil or whatever) and you have such a glaring spotlight on you, WHY ON EARTH would you grab ANYTHING out of ANYONE's locker?

We need Bonds out of the game.  Simple as that.