Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 447148 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #555 on: January 11, 2007, 09:31:18 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I would hope there's language in Bonds's contract that voids it in the event of positive drug tests.

It's stuff like that that's the reason they've been taking so long in getting Bonds' latest contract finalized. And all the more reason now to make sure clauses like that are included.

And what will surely be brought up a thousand times this weekend: If you're Bonds, and giving him the benefit of the doubt you've been burned by using other people's stuff (Sheffield's flaxseed oil or whatever) and you have such a glaring spotlight on you, WHY ON EARTH would you grab ANYTHING out of ANYONE's locker?

We need Bonds out of the game.  Simple as that.

I think it's safe to say that Bonds is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Either that or he's a bad liar. Or more likely, both. I really wish he were wearing some other team's uniform this season, if he has to play at all.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #556 on: January 14, 2007, 01:02:49 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
I would hope there's language in Bonds's contract that voids it in the event of positive drug tests.

It's stuff like that that's the reason they've been taking so long in getting Bonds' latest contract finalized. And all the more reason now to make sure clauses like that are included.

And what will surely be brought up a thousand times this weekend: If you're Bonds, and giving him the benefit of the doubt you've been burned by using other people's stuff (Sheffield's flaxseed oil or whatever) and you have such a glaring spotlight on you, WHY ON EARTH would you grab ANYTHING out of ANYONE's locker?

We need Bonds out of the game.  Simple as that.

I think it's safe to say that Bonds is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Either that or he's a bad liar. Or more likely, both. I really wish he were wearing some other team's uniform this season, if he has to play at all.

Absolutely not too sharp. You'd think that with all the scrutiny taking place, drugs of any sort would not be part of his equation.

Bonds or no Bonds, I'm looking forward to the new and returing Giants and counting the days until the season starts.

Urth, you going to Fan Fest next weekend? I'm coming up with family.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #557 on: January 15, 2007, 09:38:55 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Absolutely not too sharp. You'd think that with all the scrutiny taking place, drugs of any sort would not be part of his equation.

Bonds or no Bonds, I'm looking forward to the new and returing Giants and counting the days until the season starts.

Urth, you going to Fan Fest next weekend? I'm coming up with family.

Re Bonds: Yeah, you'd think.

Re the coming season: I'm always anxious for the start of baseball season, but right now I'm still looking for a reason to really get psyched about the Giants' chances. The Zito acquisition makes the rotation look a little more steady, but the offense looks like the same bunch of past-their-prime guys, just with different names on the backs of their road jerseys.  And the Dodgers made some good pickups this offseason, so they're gonna be tough.

Re Fanfest: No, not planning to.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #558 on: January 23, 2007, 02:11:26 PM »
A's trade Saarloos:

"The Oakland Athletics traded pitcher Kirk Saarloos to the Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday for minor league reliever David Shafer. Each team also received a player to be named."

I caught part of Bull Durham last nite. Costner as "Crash": "I'm the player to be named later".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #559 on: January 29, 2007, 03:29:08 PM »
They had their chance to escape this deal, but no, they had to go through with it--Barry's still a Giant:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/29/SPGGPNR2LR3.DTL

At least the entourage has been barred from the clubhouse.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #560 on: January 29, 2007, 05:46:11 PM »
They had their chance to escape this deal, but no, they had to go through with it--Barry's still a Giant:

I want a new drug
One that won't get me caught
One that makes me feel real strong
And hit homers alot

I predict Barry will hit .320, 40hr, 110 rbi.  The other Barry, 22-4, 1.68 era.  

The Giants win the series.

And Ryan Klesko will be league MVP.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #561 on: January 29, 2007, 11:37:12 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

I want a new drug
One that won't get me caught
One that makes me feel real strong
And hit homers alot

I predict Barry will hit .320, 40hr, 110 rbi.  The other Barry, 22-4, 1.68 era.  

The Giants win the series.

And Ryan Klesko will be league MVP.

You had me going until #3.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #562 on: February 02, 2007, 12:29:34 PM »

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #563 on: February 03, 2007, 11:20:09 PM »
Sharks Win! Video clips from start to finish. Click on pics.

Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #564 on: February 04, 2007, 06:35:37 PM »
Friend of mine sent me a link to this pic. Dey do love dem Bearse!

Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #565 on: February 04, 2007, 08:06:04 PM »
Friend of mine sent me a link to this pic. Dey do love dem Bearse!

LOL!

I was watching a bit of the WGN Nine O'Clock News after the game... not only were they mighty bummed, but it's going down to minus 10 degrees in Chi-Town tonite.

NFL Network just said this was the first-ever Super Bowl played in the rain. Is that possible?  after 41 years?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #566 on: February 04, 2007, 08:27:28 PM »
And it was a wicked rain, just like being in a shower.

Handful of commercials were very funny.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #567 on: February 05, 2007, 04:54:10 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
And it was a wicked rain, just like being in a shower.

Handful of commercials were very funny.

Peter Hartlaub of the Chron checks in with his take on the commercials.

Read his comment on the sheryl Crow ad, and then the very first comment.

Writers for major newspapers (and I realize it's a stretch to call the Chron a major newspaper) should have to pass a pop culture quiz these days.

Sodden thought: I wonder if the Chron's blogs are copyedited? (Ours are--at least the ones our writers post.)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #568 on: February 06, 2007, 10:39:59 AM »
Writers for major newspapers (and I realize it's a stretch to call the Chron a major newspaper) should have to pass a pop culture quiz these days.

Sodden thought: I wonder if the Chron's blogs are copyedited? (Ours are--at least the ones our writers post.)

FWIW, the Voice's blogs are not, and I'd guess that your company is the exception rather than the rule.  Reporters and writers used to be able to rely on fact-checkers to get this stuff right when they have a brain-fart or don't have time to check on something, but fact-checkers are sadly going the way of shoe repairmen and elevator operators these days.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #569 on: February 07, 2007, 02:44:45 PM »
Former NBA player John Amaechi has come out of the closet.  All over ESPN.com today.  Bully for him!  I just hope fools don't allow it to hinder his charity work with kids' basketball in England.