Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 447039 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #495 on: November 10, 2006, 07:07:59 AM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"
What do you folks think of the proposed move of the 49ers to Santa Clara??

as Scott Ostler put it yesterday in the Chron:

"The good news, if you're bummed about the 49ers announcing their plans to flee San Francisco, is that before it happens, you'll be dead.
Unless you're under five and you take your vitamins, in which case, congratulations on reading this.

There will be a Starbucks on Mars before there's a 49ers stadium in Santa Clara."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #496 on: November 10, 2006, 05:47:20 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
What do you folks think of the proposed move of the 49ers to Santa Clara??

as Scott Ostler put it yesterday in the Chron:

"The good news, if you're bummed about the 49ers announcing their plans to flee San Francisco, is that before it happens, you'll be dead.
Unless you're under five and you take your vitamins, in which case, congratulations on reading this.

There will be a Starbucks on Mars before there's a 49ers stadium in Santa Clara."

For the past 4 years I have worked basically across the street from that big Great America parking lot that they say they are going to build it on, and all I can say it that Ostler is right.  Forget the team ownership or the SF governement, if nothing else the city of Santa Clara would have to be insane to do that.  There's nothing there except office parks (like the one I worked in until today).  The nearest place that even comes close to qualifying as a drinking establishment would be the Bennigan's half a mile down GA Blvd, and then you have Pedro's a little ways down Mission College Drive.  But those are just restaurants.  And the roads are not equipped to handle that kind of traffic either.

And after you get rid of the existing parking lot, where are you going to have room for a new one to accommodate all those tailgaters?  The article about this in today's Chron quoted York as saying there is plenty parking all around, and this was reported without any contradiction even though it is egregiously untrue.  Every parking lot around there has signs reading "No Great America Parking", which isn't even really a problem, so can you imagine they'll all suddenly decide to allow stadium parking to a bunch of folks who will need recepticals for hot coals and empty beer bottles and places to urinate? Frankly I could care less about the Niners, but this is just so utterly ridiculous that I can't believe anyone coud take it seriously for two seconds.  York needs to be committed to a mental institution.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #497 on: November 16, 2006, 08:09:38 AM »
according to MLB.com, Frank Thomas is about to sign with the Blue Jays. The move to Fremont makes me sad, but this pisses me off! :evil:

SFGuy

The Sports Thread
« Reply #498 on: November 17, 2006, 01:19:03 AM »
according to MLB.com, Frank Thomas is about to sign with the Blue Jays. The move to Fremont makes me sad, but this pisses me off! :evil:

Maybe you'll get steroid...er Barry Bonds to be the DH in '07.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #499 on: November 17, 2006, 09:19:56 AM »

Maybe you'll get steroid...er Barry Bonds to be the DH in '07.

Stranger things have happened, but Barry's going to have to settle for a whole lot less than what his agent's been tossing around--I can't see the A's kicking down 8 figures guaranteed for a DH. Although he would put a whole lot of butts in THEIR seats for a change, instead of the ones at Willie Mays Field.

That said, I hope the Giants hold firm and let ol' Barry go on his way. That team needs to get on with things without him distracting everyone in the dugout with his histrionics and his entourage.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #500 on: November 20, 2006, 08:50:03 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #501 on: November 21, 2006, 12:23:30 PM »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #502 on: November 21, 2006, 12:42:33 PM »
Moises is a Met: Mr Alou signs a one-year deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061120&content_id=1744282&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

Not surprised to see him go--it was just a question of where. And the Giants pick up a couple of draft picks, so it's not a total loss.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #503 on: November 22, 2006, 11:08:23 AM »
Turns out Bobby Crosby had a (badly misdiagnosed) spinal fracture:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/11/22/SPG32MI15N1.DTL

Maybe Mr Wolff can take some of the gazillions he's making by moving the team and hire some better doctors...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #504 on: November 25, 2006, 12:05:31 PM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #505 on: November 26, 2006, 10:08:28 PM »
Is "Manny being Manny" better than "Barry being Barry"? Giants exploring the possibility of finding out:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/11/27/GIANTS.TMP

This strikes me as SF's way of telling Barry to lower his price, but... whatever.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #506 on: November 26, 2006, 11:56:06 PM »
Rich Aurelia a Giant again?!?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/11/25/SPG19MJSSI1.DTL

SWOON!!!!!!!!!!
oooohhhh baby!
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #507 on: December 04, 2006, 02:47:13 PM »
Rich is on board for two years. YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you. This makes up for losing Steve Finley. (although I know I could handle both of them)
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #508 on: December 04, 2006, 02:52:53 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Rich is on board for two years. YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you. This makes up for losing Steve Finley. (although I know I could handle both of them)

and the Bengie Molina deal may be closed any minute, supposedly.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #509 on: December 04, 2006, 03:08:04 PM »
Didn't know if this should go in the Sports thread or the Funny Stuff.  I'll go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ufwukWgKfI
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”