Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 446994 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #465 on: October 20, 2006, 01:51:10 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
From theChron's A's Blog, re: 2007 schedule:

"If you have friends or relatives in New York, think about visiting next June. The A's play the Mets in a weekend series, go on to Cleveland (giving you a few free days in NYC to shop, go clubbing, visit museums, yell back at cabbies, whatever), and then return the next weekend to face the Yankees"

WOO HOO!  (that's 6/22 thru 6/30, BTW -- which would also put me in NYC for Pride Weekend, which I haven't experienced in Noo Yawk since the '80s.  And I could actually follow the A's to Cleveland and see the RnRHOF too!)

ETA: I just realized that if Zito ends up with the Mets or Yanks, this could be even more interesting!

addendum: the weekend that the A's are in NY playing the Mets, the Yanks are in SF playing the Giants.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #466 on: October 20, 2006, 08:37:59 PM »
And hiring Marty "the Goon" McSorley as his replacement is just shameful -- the guy should be flippn' burgers somewhere...

He's fit for "pro wrestling," nothing more, nothing less.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #467 on: October 22, 2006, 12:40:30 AM »
Woo Hoo!  Cards win game 1.  Remember two years ago?  We were having a party here at my house as the Cards lost game 1 against the Red Sox on their way to being swept.

Factoid that may only interest me:  Tony LaRussa is now in his 5th WS, and the first four were all sweeps (and as I'm sure you all know the only sweep that went his way was the Quake series in '89).  Does that mean Cards in 4?  Who knows?  

They're certainly due.  Each of the last 3 times the Cards made it to the World Series they were missing one of their key guys because of injury:  
Jack Clark in '85 - which also featured Don Denkinger's "worst blown call in the history of sports"
Vince Coleman in '87 - with the freakiest injury WS ever (he somehow got his leg caught under the tarp roller during a rain-delay in game 1)
Chris Carpenter in '04 - and don't forget that Rolen was having an MVP season in '04 until a late Aug injury knocked him out for 30 games & he was nothing like himself in the playoffs (except of course the dramatic homer off of Clemens to win game 7 of the NLCS)
This year they are missing Mulder & Isringhausen, but neither was playing at anything like their usual levels.  So who knows?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #468 on: October 22, 2006, 09:54:44 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Woo Hoo!  Cards win game 1.  Remember two years ago?  We were having a party here at my house as the Cards lost game 1 against the Red Sox on their way to being swept.

Ah, yes.  What a time it was, it was a time . . .

Two years already.  Dazamn.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #469 on: October 22, 2006, 10:24:27 AM »

Factoid that may only interest me:  Tony LaRussa is now in his 5th WS, and the first four were all sweeps (and as I'm sure you all know the only sweep that went his way was the Quake series in '89).  Does that mean Cards in 4?  Who knows?  

This year they are missing Mulder & Isringhausen, but neither was playing at anything like their usual levels.  So who knows?

Well, the pundits have been wrong all thru the postseason: "Twins in 4"... "A's in 6" ... "Mets in 6 or 7".  And since most are going with Detroit in the WS...

BTW the A's are rumored to be interested in bringing Mulder back if they can get him cheap enuf -- Mr Beane just loves his reclamation projects. They also might want Ted Lilly.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #470 on: October 24, 2006, 07:46:31 AM »
well, this "whutthehell did Kenny Rogers have on his hand?" story doesn't seem to want to go away...

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/24/SPGHVLURI51.DTL

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #471 on: October 24, 2006, 09:20:29 PM »
CARDS WIN!!

Woo Hoo!  My brother Joel & his wife drove over from KC with a couple of friends & they got their money's worth tonight.

Loved the sign the cameras caught in the 9th which read: Cardinals Magic Number = 2.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #472 on: October 25, 2006, 07:35:34 AM »
CARDS WIN!!

Woo Hoo!  My brother Joel & his wife drove over from KC with a couple of friends & they got their money's worth tonight.

Loved the sign the cameras caught in the 9th which read: Cardinals Magic Number = 2.

When Tigers pitcher Zach Miner -- born in St Louis -- was on the mound late in the game, Tim McCarver said "he's pitching in the city from which he reigns."  Whaa???  I assume he meant "city from which he hails", but sheesh.  McCarver may be one of the few people who makes Dubya look like an intellectual.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #473 on: October 25, 2006, 09:58:09 AM »
CARDS WIN!!

When Tigers pitcher Zach Miner -- born in St Louis -- was on the mound late in the game, Tim McCarver said "he's pitching in the city from which he reigns."  Whaa???  I assume he meant "city from which he hails", but sheesh.  McCarver may be one of the few people who makes Dubya look like an intellectual.

In the 4th inning, with Pujols on 2nd & Preston Wilson on 3rd with no outs, and Ronnie Belliard coming up who had a lot of success against Robertson, the obvious call is the intentional walk to get the potential force at home, which even my 6-yr old knew, and which in fact actually happened.  McCarver, in his infinite wisdom, decided to tell America that "if the Tigers walk Belliard this will load the bases."  Moron.

But, he also makes several really insightful comments about the mechanisms of pitching, hitting and catching each game that are great.   So I still actually listen to him.  Wish I could say the same for John "I'm not nearly as senile as Reagan was at this age" Madden or Joe "Whatever I'm saying now I'll contradict it next quarter" Theisman.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #474 on: October 25, 2006, 10:11:06 AM »

Reign, hail, it's all inclement weather.  But seriously, I think Timmy Mac has the unenviable task of having to explain the obvious to non-fans who are watching just becasue it's the World Series (or because their SOs are glued to the TV).  It would be a turnoff to casual fans if he stuck with the intricacies.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #475 on: October 25, 2006, 10:30:51 AM »
Some of y'all appreciate fine pitching, so here is a short list of some of the truly remarkable accomplishments of Chris Carpenter last night in his first WS appearance (remember, he was on injured reserve in the 2004 WS).

The Tigers never got the leadoff man on in any inning.
They never had more than 4 plate appearances in any inning.
Only one runner got past 1st base (and that was on a Wild Pitch).
Carpenter pitched 8 innings and faced 2 over the minimum 24 batters.
He not only failed to give up a walk, but not one of those 26 patters even got to Ball Three.
Seventeen out of 26 batters never even saw Ball Two!
He only threw 82 pitches, and 55 of them were strikes.
He threw first-pitch strikes to 15 batters and 9 of them were Looking.
Only 4 Tiger batters stayed at the plate longer than 4 pitches.

Too bad the wind chill dropped so much during the Cardinals long at bats in the bottom half of the 8th*, or he would have probably gotten only the 3rd complete game shutout in the Cardinals long WS history. (Bob Gibson & John Tudor for you completists)

(most of these factoids are courtesy of Jason Stark at ESPN.com)

*LaRussa let him bat for himself as the second man up in that inning, and he sacrificed the runner over who later scored the 5th and final run.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #476 on: October 26, 2006, 08:56:58 PM »
Game 4
yowza! Bottom o the 8th and Cards move ahead 5-4.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #477 on: October 27, 2006, 07:12:41 AM »
it's official: your new Giants manager is Bruce Bochy...

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/27/SPG9AM176Q1.DTL

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #478 on: October 27, 2006, 08:46:18 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Game 4
yowza! Bottom o the 8th and Cards move ahead 5-4.

When Wainwright got the final out I discovered just how low the ceiling is in my TV room & skinned the heck out of my knuckles when I pumped my fists.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #479 on: October 27, 2006, 08:38:48 PM »
CARDS WIN!

I'm sure Mark will chime in shortly after he finishes a glass or 2 of bubbly :wink:

I didn't really have a rooting interest but it's nice to see the NL win a WS for a change. And the Cards have been disappointed by coming close several years in a row, so good job.  And most importantly, as I said earlier in the thread, the pundits have been wrong throughout the post seaon. They said:

Twins would beat the A's
Yanks would beat the Tigers
A's would beat the Tigers
Mets would beat the Cards

So screw 'em all, hooray for the underdog!