Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 446965 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #450 on: October 17, 2006, 07:47:33 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
A's fire Macha:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/16/SPGD3LQE7N3.DTL

I had no idea he was so disliked by so many.  I certainly don't envy anyone in the world of coaching.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #451 on: October 17, 2006, 03:32:05 PM »
Here is a HILARIOUS baseball themed list from McSweeney's.  I meant to post this a while back, but since the World Series is still a few days away I guess it's not too late.

IF SHAKESPEARE HAD SOLD HIS PLAYS
TO MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL
INSTEAD OF TO THE KING'S MEN

BY RYAN SMITH

- - - -

Taming of the Brewers

A Midsummer Night's Bream

As You Van Slyke It

Much Alou About Nothing

King Liriano

All's Well That Dontrelle

Romeo and Junior Ortiz

The Humorously Poor Fielding Performance

Julius Selig
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #452 on: October 19, 2006, 07:42:08 AM »
Gotta love those Mets for making it exciting (wish the A's had done the same!).  Game 7 tonite, baby!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #453 on: October 19, 2006, 09:35:29 AM »
Gotta love those Mets for making it exciting (wish the A's had done the same!).  Game 7 tonite, baby!

I'll be missing bball for the Sharks. Might have to go to the bar to see TV. Torn. Redwings or game 7?  :roll:
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #454 on: October 19, 2006, 11:59:54 AM »
Murray Chass in today's NYTimes, about John Maine, last night's winning pitcher:

"Maine, it should be remembered, was Anna Benson’s goodbye gift to the Mets. He joined the Mets last winter in the trade that sent Anna’s husband, Kris, to the Baltimore Orioles. The Mets traded Benson because Anna had become too much of a loose verbal cannon. The Mets, however, are unlikely to send Anna a World Series share."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #455 on: October 19, 2006, 04:15:29 PM »
Murray Chass in today's NYTimes, about John Maine, last night's winning pitcher:

"Maine, it should be remembered, was Anna Benson’s goodbye gift to the Mets. He joined the Mets last winter in the trade that sent Anna’s husband, Kris, to the Baltimore Orioles. The Mets traded Benson because Anna had become too much of a loose verbal cannon. The Mets, however, are unlikely to send Anna a World Series share."

Sorry, I don't buy that.  The Mets traded Benson because his arm's got the staying power of the spaghetti straps on one of Anna's cocktail dresses.  Anna provided a convenient (and media-riffic) excuse, but there is no such thing as being too much of a loose verbal cannon in NYC.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #456 on: October 19, 2006, 09:56:52 PM »
Well, Dave gets his wish: it's a Tigers/Cards WS. (and we get a '68 set tomorrow, I'll wager).  Very exciting Game 7 of the NLCS, tho'.  Bummed about the Mets, and I'm more or less neutral for the Series.

Meanwhile, how 'bout those Sharks, kickin' some Detroit butt tonite?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #457 on: October 19, 2006, 10:05:36 PM »
Cards Win!!!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #458 on: October 19, 2006, 10:07:42 PM »
I was talking to my brother in KC, who had our folks with him in his TV room, as we got the last three outs.  After the immediate dust cleared he said, 'Well, I gotta go get online to get some tickets.'

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #459 on: October 20, 2006, 08:19:45 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Cards Win!!!

What a thriller of a game.  I'm happy to see the Cards going; New Yorkers win too much of everything as it is.  And the '68 rematch hook is irresistible.

And Don Imus pissed me the hell of this morning as his resident Omar Minaya mimic started dropping F-bombs, and I don't mean "fuck."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #460 on: October 20, 2006, 08:30:58 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Don Imus pissed me the hell of this morning as his resident Omar Minaya mimic started dropping F-bombs, and I don't mean "fuck."

is the real Minaya known to be a 'phobic asshole?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #461 on: October 20, 2006, 08:45:44 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Don Imus pissed me the hell of this morning as his resident Omar Minaya mimic started dropping F-bombs, and I don't mean "fuck."

is the real Minaya known to be a 'phobic asshole?

No, not at all -- the mimic gave Minaya an Ozzie Guillen personality.  Guess they all look/sound alike to him.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #462 on: October 20, 2006, 09:30:22 AM »
From theChron's A's Blog, re: 2007 schedule:

"If you have friends or relatives in New York, think about visiting next June. The A's play the Mets in a weekend series, go on to Cleveland (giving you a few free days in NYC to shop, go clubbing, visit museums, yell back at cabbies, whatever), and then return the next weekend to face the Yankees"

WOO HOO!  (that's 6/22 thru 6/30, BTW -- which would also put me in NYC for Pride Weekend, which I haven't experienced in Noo Yawk since the '80s.  And I could actually follow the A's to Cleveland and see the RnRHOF too!)

ETA: I just realized that if Zito ends up with the Mets or Yanks, this could be even more interesting!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #463 on: October 20, 2006, 11:57:29 AM »
Well, Dave gets his wish: it's a Tigers/Cards WS. (and we get a '68 set tomorrow, I'll wager).  Very exciting Game 7 of the NLCS, tho'.  Bummed about the Mets, and I'm more or less neutral for the Series.

Sharks were AWESOME. I did stay down in the bar until almost the 8th inning tho. Got to see "the catch."
I also got filmed for a Sharks commercial. I didn't ask details but did sign a release so someday you might see goofy me on TV.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #464 on: October 20, 2006, 12:17:35 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

Sharks were AWESOME. I did stay down in the bar until almost the 8th inning tho. Got to see "the catch."
I also got filmed for a Sharks commercial. I didn't ask details but did sign a release so someday you might see goofy me on TV.

Way to go!

It's gonna be a fun season -- their best start in history (they're 6-1, no?) and my only quibble is, it's just not the same without Drew Remenda. And hiring Marty "the Goon" McSorley as his replacement is just shameful -- the guy should be flippn' burgers somewhere...