Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 446887 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 06, 2006, 10:50:13 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Woo Hoo!  

A's SWEEP!!

Hopefully the Cards can follow suit.

Where can I find the words to describe this afternoon? Well, here's 2: Marco. Scutaro.

I was at Pac Bell when the Giants clinched their division in 2000, and I was at the Coliseum in 2002 when the A's lost to the Twins. This was way better than either.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #421 on: October 07, 2006, 12:05:10 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "mshray"
Woo Hoo!  

A's SWEEP!!

Hopefully the Cards can follow suit.

Where can I find the words to describe this afternoon? Well, here's 2: Marco. Scutaro.

I was at Pac Bell when the Giants clinched their division in 2000, and I was at the Coliseum in 2002 when the A's lost to the Twins. This was way better than either.

This Giants fan had a great time today! I echo the Marco....Scutaro
Getting in at least one October ball game was great. If it turns out to be an A's Cards series, I'll do what I can to get to a game. A's fans know how to party. The parking lot was quite "festive". I made new friends while waiting to get out of there.

Ricky Henderson was in the house. Went up the stairs one section over from me and looked to be friendly. My friend said she saw Nolan Ryan up in a box but I didn't.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Sharks
« Reply #422 on: October 07, 2006, 12:13:28 AM »
Detroit rocked tonight! wooo hoooo.

Now onto the SHARKS.
Going tomorrow night and curious about the goal song. This is probably totally unimportant to all of you but bothers me. The NHL and apparently other leagues have banned the Gary Glitter Rock and Roll 2 which was the goal song. I guess they don't want him getting royalties. The Sharks now play some lame hey hey hey tune that I can't even hear what it is.
They are taking suggestions for a new song. With your vast musical knowledge, I'm sure you can make some excellent recommendations. From the SJS site,

We are in the process of selecting a new goal celebration song and would like your input. Please listen to the options below and submit your selection.
-- Holiday-Green Day
-- Ain’t talkin’ ‘bout love- Van Halen
-- Elevation- U2
-- Song 2 - Blur

To suggest another option, send an mail to goalsong@svse.net.  
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Sharks
« Reply #423 on: October 07, 2006, 10:08:40 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Detroit rocked tonight! wooo hoooo.

Now onto the SHARKS.
Going tomorrow night and curious about the goal song. This is probably totally unimportant to all of you but bothers me. The NHL and apparently other leagues have banned the Gary Glitter Rock and Roll 2 which was the goal song. I guess they don't want him getting royalties. The Sharks now play some lame hey hey hey tune that I can't even hear what it is.
They are taking suggestions for a new song. With your vast musical knowledge, I'm sure you can make some excellent recommendations. From the SJS site,

We are in the process of selecting a new goal celebration song and would like your input. Please listen to the options below and submit your selection.
-- Holiday-Green Day
-- Ain’t talkin’ ‘bout love- Van Halen
-- Elevation- U2
-- Song 2 - Blur

To suggest another option, send an mail to goalsong@svse.net.  

Indeed, I was there Thurs nite and it took 2 goals before it dawned on me why the song was different (and the new one, a cheap rip-off of Mr Glitter's classic, is very lame).  I'd vote for Blur's "Song 2" (aka the woo-hoo! song).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #424 on: October 07, 2006, 04:46:05 PM »
Wow! Tigers yank the Spankees!!!  They come to Oakland on Tues for the ALCS (A's get home field advantage -- yay!).  Gonna be fun.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
hey, there's a football game on!
« Reply #425 on: October 08, 2006, 02:19:51 PM »
I just remembered it was Sunday!  The Niners have a one-point lead (although I wouldn't hold my breath at this point)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: hey, there's a football game on!
« Reply #426 on: October 08, 2006, 03:36:06 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I just remembered it was Sunday!  The Niners have a one-point lead (although I wouldn't hold my breath at this point)

Niners are kicking ass. 31-13 now. I'll call the win with 10 min to go.

If Arizona can hold their lead for nine more minutes, my weekend picks are 100% so far. woo hoo.
ARI and KC is the only game RGM and I differ on. C'mon AZ!
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: hey, there's a football game on!
« Reply #427 on: October 08, 2006, 03:37:52 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Quote from: "ggould"
Niners are kicking ass. 30-13 now. I'll call the win with 10 min to go.

If Arizona can hold their lead for nine more minutes, my weekend picks are 100% so far. woo hoo.

Yeah, the Niners did lose the lead at my last post, but now that the Raiders have pulled this bonehead move, and lost a touchdown, it would seem to be over, but we'll see.  I picked the Raiders, but I'll be happy if the Niners win.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #428 on: October 08, 2006, 03:51:32 PM »
The AZ/KC game is stressing me out. Tied now with 3 min to go.

Raiders haven't given up yet. Still scoring with 6 to go.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #429 on: October 08, 2006, 05:31:12 PM »
I couldn't believe that Channel 2 was NOT ALLOWED to show the Dallas/Philly game because of an NFL rule about competing with a home game on another channel.  Bet "the T.O. Game" woulda got bigger ratings than Oakland/SF.

So I went to the movies instead and saw The US vs. John Lennon. Guess you could say since Friday I went from The Departed to The Deported, har har.

Worth seeing (and since it was co-produced by VH-1, I'm guessing it'll show up on that channel quite soon), even if it is a little heavy on the John-as-saint stuff and a little lax on the darker activities of the Panthers and Angela Davis (both Davis and Bobby Seale pop up as talking heads).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #430 on: October 09, 2006, 05:40:31 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
A's re-take the lead! it's 4-2 going into the 8th.

BTW, I was unaware that Barry Z has a blog:

http://barryzito.mlblogs.com/barryzito/2006/10/an_awesome_day_.html

No surprise that it's very well-written.  Gaz should check it out -- there's a comments section, you can tell him about wanting to have his baby...

This was some great reading -- Barry Z's the perfect guy to do a feature like this.  Though it's (hopefully) a long ways off, I look forward to seeing what BZ does with his life after baseball.

BZ proves once again that he's the best writer among current pro athletes:
http://barryzito.mlblogs.com/barryzito/2006/10/i_cant_explain_.html
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #431 on: October 10, 2006, 08:35:44 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
BZ proves once again that he's the best writer among current pro athletes:
http://barryzito.mlblogs.com/barryzito/2006/10/i_cant_explain_.html

Tonight Barry was a better writer than he was a pitcher. Only lasted 4 innings. A's down 5-1 as we go to the bottom of the 9th. :cry:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #432 on: October 11, 2006, 09:39:23 AM »
a nice piece about Zito from the Chron's Bruce Jenkins:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=21&entry_id=9666

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #433 on: October 12, 2006, 03:48:39 PM »
A's Alert:  Friday's game has been moved up to 1:30pm Pacific time, presumably so the Mets/Cards game could air in primetime without competition.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2006, 08:22:47 PM »
A's Alert:  Friday's game has been moved up to 1:30pm Pacific time, presumably so the Mets/Cards game could air in primetime without competition.

There's a second reason: Chances of snow flurries (!) tomorrow night in Detwat.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”