Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 446855 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #390 on: September 24, 2006, 10:47:55 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Mike:
Oakland A's ALDS tix on sale Monday at 9. You going to try and get to a game?

Absolutely -- I'm on vacay next week for that reason.  Field level seats are $50. And the tarps are staying on, at least for the first round. (The A's say they're staying on even if they get to the World Series, but I'm sure MLB will have something to say about that -- 34,000 seats for a WS game? when you could increase it to 55??)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #391 on: September 25, 2006, 09:40:28 AM »
My buddy just got games one and two and I'm going to join her. Let me know where you'll be so we can "meet and greet."

G1 I'm in 213
G2 in 109

I'm suck a sucker for baseball.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #392 on: September 25, 2006, 09:52:43 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
My buddy just got games one and two and I'm going to join her. Let me know where you'll be so we can "meet and greet."

G1 I'm in 213
G2 in 109

I'm a sucker for baseball.

G1: 122 row 19
G2: 120 row 20

I can taste the pulled-pork sandwiches already!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #393 on: September 26, 2006, 10:06:29 PM »
A's WIN!

A's CLINCH!!!

Finally....

My joy is tempered by the fact that next week's 2 home games are probably Fri & Sat, meaning I'll have to pass up Elvis C. in GG Park.

Oh my GOD. Frank Thomas, soaking wet. I think I have to go now...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #394 on: September 27, 2006, 07:54:34 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #395 on: September 27, 2006, 12:41:28 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
T.O. tries suicide?!?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/09/27/sports/s063810D87.DTL

best lines heard so far:

"If only Brett Favre had been his quarterback, T.O. would've succeeded in his attempt"

"This was the result of a failed booty call to Jeff Garcia"

and of course the headline T.O. TRIES TO KILL HIMSELF fits the "doo-dah, doo-dah" template.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #396 on: September 27, 2006, 09:41:07 PM »
A's WIN!

A's CLINCH!!!

Finally....

My joy is tempered by the fact that next week's 2 home games are probably Fri & Sat, meaning I'll have to pass up Elvis C. in GG Park.

Oh my GOD. Frank Thomas, soaking wet. I think I have to go now...

Talk to me before the game so we can run into each other. If it's a Friday, I'll have to be "sick". Satuday the 7th will bring a double header as I have Sharks that night. Yay baseball! Watching Major League on TV now.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #397 on: September 29, 2006, 02:52:12 PM »
End of an Era: KDKA broadcasts it's last-ever Pittsburgh Pirates game this weekend...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_469513.html

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #398 on: September 30, 2006, 11:33:10 AM »
LA dominated last night. The LAA, LAD and Kings put OAK, SF and San Jose to shame.

BEAT LA!!!!!!!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #399 on: October 01, 2006, 03:19:15 PM »
It's official: A's vs Twins in the first round. The stumbling Tigers were swept at home by KC, so they settle for the Wild Card and play the Yankees (lotsa luck!).

So it's Breakfast at the Metrodome -- the first game airs Tuesday at 10am Bay Area time.  Friday's Game 3 at the Coliseum is at 1:00. GO A's!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #400 on: October 01, 2006, 05:24:49 PM »
It's official: A's vs Twins in the first round. The stumbling Tigers were swept at home by KC, so they settle for the Wild Card and play the Yankees (lotsa luck!).

Pretty shrewd, if you ask me: The Yanks' pitching is kinda decimated.  They haven't got much beyond Wang and Mussina right now.  I'd rather face them than the second-half-hot A's or Twins.

Meantime, bummed that the Phils didn't quite make it.  And weirded out that Joe Theismann looks like Mark Foley.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #401 on: October 03, 2006, 12:37:55 PM »
Woo Hoo! A's Win Game 1!

Zito gets the win; mah main man Big Hurt hits TWO homers. A big deal in the dreaded Metrodome.

Cards/Pads comin' up at the top of the hour.

ETA: I didn't realize the Padres had home-field advantage. Given the Cards near-collpase recently, that doesn't bode well for the RedBirds.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #402 on: October 03, 2006, 01:17:24 PM »
Woo Hoo! A's Win Game 1!

Zito gets the win; mah main man Big Hurt hits TWO homers. A big deal in the dreaded Metrodome.

ETA: I didn't realize the Padres had home-field advantage. Given the Cards near-collpase recently, that doesn't bode well for the RedBirds.

YAY A's!!! Beating Minnesota in their own yard is huge. Zito needs to keep his confidence up, so getting an 8-inning win is key for him, and nice that Thomas pretty much is driving the team offensively right now.

Yeah, the Cards aren't looking so hot at the moment--they're kinda beat up. If the season had been a week longer, we'd probably be looking at Houston winning the Central. I'd love to see them pull out an upset and beat SD, but they haven't shown much life the last few weeks or so.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #403 on: October 03, 2006, 03:02:32 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Woo Hoo! A's Win Game 1!

YAY A's!!! Beating Minnesota in their own yard is huge. Zito needs to keep his confidence up, so getting an 8-inning win is key for him, and nice that Thomas pretty much is driving the team offensively right now.

Yeah, the Cards aren't looking so hot at the moment--they're kinda beat up. If the season had been a week longer, we'd probably be looking at Houston winning the Central. I'd love to see them pull out an upset and beat SD, but they haven't shown much life the last few weeks or so.

BARRY ZITO I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABY
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #404 on: October 03, 2006, 04:55:04 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Woo Hoo! A's Win Game 1!

Shows what I know. The Cards took it to the San Diegos 5-1. I'd have considered both the A's and Cards long-shots, and here they are both winning the opening games of their series, on the road no less. Nice going.
Let's get right to it.