Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 446792 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #360 on: August 05, 2006, 09:13:10 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
very cute piece from today's sfgate A's Blog, on what it's like to be a woman who's more fanatical about baseball tahn most men:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=21&entry_id=7622#readmore

I'm not that fanatical but I love the game and I like the boys. Never been to spring training but will one day.
Sharks season is almost here too!
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #361 on: August 05, 2006, 09:56:53 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
very cute piece from today's sfgate A's Blog, on what it's like to be a woman who's more fanatical about baseball tahn most men:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=21&entry_id=7622#readmore

I'm not that fanatical but I love the game and I like the boys. Never been to spring training but will one day.

Right there with ya.  Can't wait to see your pics!  (Didn't have time last night / this morning.)

Parks I have been to games at, in roughly chronological order:
Three Rivers
Fenway
Candlestick
Oakland Coliseum
Anaheim Stadium
Pac Bell Park
Shea Stadium
Citizens Bank Park
PNC Park

Parks I have seen firsthand but not attended games at:
Dodgers Stadium
Safeco Field
Yankee Stadium
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #362 on: August 05, 2006, 10:46:26 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Right there with ya.  Can't wait to see your pics!  (Didn't have time last night / this morning.)

Parks I have been to games at, in roughly chronological order:
Three Rivers
Fenway
Candlestick
Oakland Coliseum
Anaheim Stadium
Pac Bell Park
Shea Stadium
Citizens Bank Park
PNC Park

Parks I have seen firsthand but not attended games at:
Dodgers Stadium
Safeco Field
Yankee Stadium

You got me. I've been to
Candlestick
Oakland
ATT
San Diego (don't know what it was called back then in the mid 80's)
Busch Stadium
Monteal
minor league games in San Jose and Salt Lake City
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #363 on: August 06, 2006, 07:34:22 PM »
So I'm watching the Mets beat the crap outta the Phillies, and the Shea Stadium organist (dunno if they actually have a live one, but it was organ-sounding) played a snippet of the intro to Violent Femmes' "Blister in the Sun"!  Would that the music programmers at AT&T or McAfee were half that clever.

I'm predicting a Mets/Tigers WS -- any other predicts?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #364 on: August 07, 2006, 08:09:10 AM »
So I'm watching the Mets beat the crap outta the Phillies, and the Shea Stadium organist (dunno if they actually have a live one, but it was organ-sounding) played a snippet of the intro to Violent Femmes' "Blister in the Sun"!  Would that the music programmers at AT&T or McAfee were half that clever.

I'm predicting a Mets/Tigers WS -- any other predicts?

I'm going with the White Sox for the AL -- you cannot make it through the playoffs with Todd Mutherfuck Jones as your closer -- but the NL's still a toss-up to me.  I suppose the Mets have to be the faves, but I still don't think they're quite for real.  Feh, I'll go with them for lack of other options.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #365 on: August 17, 2006, 08:17:40 AM »
The Sharks announced that Marty McSorley -- yes, THAT McSorley, who was convicted by a Canadian court of assaulting Donald Brashear in a game and was suspended by the league for one year -- will replace the beloved Drew Remenda as their color/play-by-play guy on next year's games.

Bad enough Remenda decided to move back to Saskatoon, but McSorley? Jeez.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #366 on: August 17, 2006, 08:21:50 AM »
The Sharks announced that Marty McSorley -- yes, THAT McSorley, who was convicted by a Canadian court of assaulting Donald Brashear in a game and was suspended by the league for one year -- will replace the beloved Drew Remenda as their color/play-by-play guy on next year's games.

Bad enough Remenda decided to move back to Saskatoon, but McSorley? Jeez.

They're mcsorely in need of reconsideration.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #367 on: August 20, 2006, 06:21:53 PM »
Anybody watching Niners/Raiders right now? It's on both KTVU 2 and KCBS 5 and the KTVU version seems to be an experiment in lack of graphics -- no scorebox in the corner of the screen, no clock, no nothing.  Odd, expecially considering it's on two channels, thereby giving viewers a clear choice. Wonder what the ratings will reflect.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
ktvu vs kpix
« Reply #368 on: August 20, 2006, 06:25:01 PM »
Anybody watching Niners/Raiders right now? It's on both KTVU 2 and KCBS 5 and the KTVU version seems to be an experiment in lack of graphics -- no scorebox in the corner of the screen, no clock, no nothing.  Odd, expecially considering it's on two channels, thereby giving viewers a clear choice. Wonder what the ratings will reflect.
for me, the picture is much worse on ktvu, as I get more ghost interference since the broadcast channel (2) is closer to the cable input (3)  I sometimes wonder if it's that way for everybody, or will it get better when I can afford digital cable?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #369 on: August 22, 2006, 09:54:11 PM »
Hummmm Babeeeee!
Giants kicking some AZ ass in the 8th! BUT, Benitez about to come in...... :?

Urth, ya going to any games this week?
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #370 on: August 22, 2006, 10:40:52 PM »
Hummmm Babeeeee!

And Benitez almost coughed up another one, came in in the 9th with a four run lead and couldn't hold it. Kline ended up with the save. Whew. Never shoulda been that close. When is Alou going to realize he's not good in pressure situations, which for your closer is not ideal. I hope that fella isn't making long term plans to stay in SF. He's outta here after this season, if not sooner.

Yep, Thursday night vs. the Reds.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
we wuz there!
« Reply #371 on: August 22, 2006, 10:50:44 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Hummmm Babeeeee!

And Benitez almost coughed up another one, came in in the 9th with a four run lead and couldn't hold it. Kline ended up with the save. Whew. Never shoulda been that close. When is Alou going to realize he's not good in pressure situations, which for your closer is not ideal. I hope that fella isn't making long term plans to stay in SF. He's outta here after this season, if not sooner.

Free killer tix at last minute, then report to work in the morning!  Some pretty exciting stuff tonight.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #372 on: August 23, 2006, 07:38:31 AM »
Hummmm Babeeeee!

I knew that all-time-fave-Giant Rich Aurilia is now a Red, but I didn't realize they had former Oak A, Scott Hatteberg too!

...and speaking of former G-men, did you see Will "the Thrill" Clark last nite? he was at the Giants game and they showed him in the stands -- he's gained so much weight he looks like James Gandolfini's twin briother!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #373 on: August 23, 2006, 09:24:44 AM »
Hummmm Babeeeee!

I'll see you Thursday then. Look down to your left and I'll be in 222. I'm going to be down at the rail a few times if Rich Aurilia is in the lineup. I have a large neon poster in the making. Rich, #33 mm mmm mmm.
If I see you in your seat, I'll come say hi.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #374 on: August 23, 2006, 03:52:28 PM »
OMG! Giants sweep the D'Backs -- and Benitez actually didn't blow the save for a change.