Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 446696 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #330 on: June 19, 2006, 11:00:30 PM »
Helluva sports night. Great Stanley Cup. Yay Carolina. Got me kinda misty. Wished it was the Sharks but that would have been way too overwhelming. Some good commercials.

G-I-A-N-T-S. One hit only through the 8th! Ended up being a two-hitter.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #331 on: June 22, 2006, 09:18:58 AM »
US eliminated from World Cup by Ghana:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/06/22/sports/s085934D94.DTL

So now Americans can stop paying attention to soccer for another 4 years :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #332 on: June 22, 2006, 09:27:47 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
US eliminated from World Cup by Ghana:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/06/22/sports/s085934D94.DTL

So now Americans can stop paying attention to soccer for another 4 years :wink:

Dang it.  I saw just a bit before heading off to work this morning.  "We" were down 1 - nil in the 43rd minute, and GOAAAAAAALLLL.  Then, in the added minutes at the end of the first half, they call a ticky-tack penalty, and we're down again....
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #333 on: June 24, 2006, 05:56:55 PM »
saw the Giants/A's this afternoon, a bee-yoo-tee-ful day at the park. Mark will be happy to learn that Steve Finley's new theme music is "Tom Sawyer", which we were treated to THREE times today.

But when Jeremy Accardo got up to pitch, his music was The Eagles' "Those Shoes". An odd, "WTF?" choice -- I kept trying to picture him with Those Pretty Little Straps Around his Ankles.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #334 on: June 24, 2006, 08:08:17 PM »
saw the Giants/A's this afternoon, a bee-yoo-tee-ful day at the park. Mark will be happy to learn that Steve Finley's new theme music is "Tom Sawyer", which we were treated to THREE times today.

But when Jeremy Accardo got up to pitch, his music was The Eagles' "Those Shoes". An odd, "WTF?" choice -- I kept trying to picture him with Those Pretty Little Straps Around his Ankles.

Huston Street might wear the little straps nicely. I'm not an A's fan but totally enjoyed the game last night. Even tho Giants lost. Surprised the heck out of me seeing Barry steal a base! The A's uniforms reminded me of the ultimate stealer, Ricky Henderson.

mmmm, I'm gonna get a dose of Finley tomorrow. Going early to watch practice/warm up. Tom Sawyer, blechhhhhhh.

Been listening to k-gay most of the day. Pretty good mix going on.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #335 on: June 24, 2006, 10:22:49 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

Huston Street might wear the little straps nicely. I'm not an A's fan but totally enjoyed the game last night. Even tho Giants lost. Surprised the heck out of me seeing Barry steal a base! The A's uniforms reminded me of the ultimate stealer, Ricky Henderson.

mmmm, I'm gonna get a dose of Finley tomorrow. Going early to watch practice/warm up. Tom Sawyer, blechhhhhhh.

Been listening to k-gay most of the day. Pretty good mix going on.

I totally LOVED those '80s retro unis.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #336 on: June 25, 2006, 09:26:50 PM »
Rich Harden. Whadda nice boy!
OK. Big Giants fan that I am, I hung out pre game in far right where the A's were practicing. I didn't recognize a single player but after they came by to see the kids and the big girl (me) I asked an A's person who they were. They're all so young. Rich Harden handed my daughter a ball and then returned to sign it and my son's mitt. Barry Zito was a little to the left of me signing stuff.

The A's deserved their win today. It was fun to watch. The Giants did make one awesome "you're out!" play at home.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #337 on: June 26, 2006, 07:32:44 AM »
Rich Harden. Whadda nice boy!
OK. Big Giants fan that I am, I hung out pre game in far right where the A's were practicing. I didn't recognize a single player but after they came by to see the kids and the big girl (me) I asked an A's person who they were. They're all so young. Rich Harden handed my daughter a ball and then returned to sign it and my son's mitt. Barry Zito was a little to the left of me signing stuff.

The A's deserved their win today. It was fun to watch. The Giants did make one awesome "you're out!" play at home.

They're all so young & adorable. Gaz will be jealous to hear you were almost close enough to touch Zito.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #338 on: June 27, 2006, 09:57:06 PM »
news & notes...

Congrats to Barry Zito, even tho' he lost tonite, The Sporting News has named him Number One "Good Guy" in Baseball for his Strikeouts for Troops charity.

And get well wishes to ESPN's Peter Gammons, recovering from surgery for a brain aneurysm:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/06/27/gammons.aneurysm.ap/index.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #339 on: July 03, 2006, 09:46:25 PM »
After being swept by the friggin' Diamondbacks, the A's managed to beat the best team in Baseball (Detroit) tonite, and the game was a salute to the troops, beamed by sattelite to Iraq. Barry Z is being interviewed as I write, and for the first time that I can recall, the post-game fireworks are being broadcast live.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #340 on: July 05, 2006, 03:27:43 PM »
France and Italy World Cup. Totally missed todays game. Just tuned in and learned it was a done deal.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #341 on: July 05, 2006, 04:27:17 PM »
France and Italy World Cup. Totally missed todays game. Just tuned in and learned it was a done deal.

Saw most of the second halves of both games--Italy-Germany yesterday at home, and France-Portugal today while eating lunch. Today's was more exciting--more shots on goal, and Portugal was fighting for its life, down a goal, while the French were playing some pretty great defense. Would not have picked France to get to the final, but what do I know about soccer?

Allez les Bleus!
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #342 on: July 05, 2006, 04:34:59 PM »

I watched all of the overtime yesterday, just a stunning outcome.  119 minutes of scoreless ball (that's the equivalent of 2 entire games in the NFL, NBA or NHL), with each team hitting the crossbar/post during the early part of OT.  Then, only about 90 seconds before going to a penalty kick shootout, Italy scores not once but twice.  The critical first goal came on an absolutely perfect strike from just inside the right corner of the box with 2 defenders & the goalie between the ball & the net. On watching the slow-mo replay, you could see clearly that the kick bent wide around the further defender, and then curved back just inches inside the post & just millimeters past the fingertips of the lunging German goalie Lehmann.  The soccer equivalent of a half-court buzzer-beater in the Final Four.  For reasons of bloodline & the time I spent there as an exchange student, I always support the Germans, and furthermore I really didn't like the Italians in this year's cup, (again yesterday they did more than their fair share of flopping to get calls, but thankfully the Mexican referee almost never rewarded them).  But that goal may have been the best I have ever seen, given the situation.

Heading into the 2nd round I told me friend that the 2 teams I was least impressed with & enamored of were France & Italy, but now they're in the final.  Oh well, shows what I know.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #343 on: July 11, 2006, 08:02:18 AM »
Zito plays the free-agent game, schmoozing with the press and switching agents to... Scott Boras (aka Satan).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/07/11/SPGL2JT3BS1.DTL

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #344 on: July 18, 2006, 11:51:50 PM »
Balmy night and fun was had by all. Giants pull one out and it was so much better than last night. Bob Ueker was calling the Brewers game. It was fun seeing him there. $!@ Steve Finley, 0 for 5.
Sharks bleed teal.