Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 446645 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 14, 2006, 11:13:46 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
2nd sad watching-it-all-unravel-in-the-final-period Sharks/Oilers game.  They're hanging by a thread now -- they've gotta win Tuesday in Edmondton...

I was there!!  :cry:
Not their best showing. There were more than a few brazen Oilers fans suited up and with flags a waving.... We weren't booing them anymore when the game was over.

Today was a real double whammy with a Dodger loss too.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #301 on: May 17, 2006, 09:21:06 PM »
And so the Sharks season ends with a whimper. Too bad, but then, given their horrible start,  few in November expected them to get to the second round of the playoffs.  Here's to next year.

Meanwhile, the Giants AND A's bats have awakened simultaneously, with the Gigantes sweeping the Astros , scoring 10 or more runs in each game!  And the A's are whuppin' on the Mariners for the 2nd nite in a row.  Should make this weekend's Bay Bridge Series a lot more exciting.

And BTW, the producer of tonite's A's game on channel 36 is making some interesting musical choices segue-ing into commercials. Sammy Davis Jr's "Candy Man", for one, and Joe Jackson's "I'm the Man" for another.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #302 on: May 17, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »
A sad end to hockey indeed.  Their play was not up to par with the Oilers. Not sure who the Oilers are up against next but I'll be rooting for Edmonton now. I've always liked them.

Now, about to change my avatar....
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #303 on: May 19, 2006, 09:05:49 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
A sad end to hockey indeed.  Their play was not up to par with the Oilers.

In my rush to get back to the A's game after the Sharks lost, I missed Drew "sexiest bald guy in San Jose" Remenda's teary goodbye -- he's quitting as Sharks color commentator and moving back to Saskatoon. :cry:

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #304 on: May 19, 2006, 09:56:46 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
A sad end to hockey indeed.  Their play was not up to par with the Oilers.

In my rush to get back to the A's game after the Sharks lost, I missed Drew "sexiest bald guy in San Jose" Remenda's teary goodbye -- he's quitting as Sharks color commentator and moving back to Saskatoon. :cry:

I missed that!  :cry:  He is quite charismatic in person. Saw him on his bday wearing a lovely lavender shirt. He was jovial.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Giants game
« Reply #305 on: May 23, 2006, 11:01:39 AM »
draggin' my butt at school today, cuz my cousin called me at the last minute last night with an extra ticket in the Field Club area about 10 rows back from the field, between home plate and the Giants dugout.  I couldn't say no!  It's really different when you're that close.  Oh to be a member of the landed gentry who can afford such season tickets!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Giants game
« Reply #306 on: May 23, 2006, 11:09:47 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
draggin' my butt at school today, cuz my cousin called me at the last minute last night with an extra ticket in the Field Club area about 10 rows back from the field, between home plate and the Giants dugout.  I couldn't say no!  It's really different when you're that close.  Oh to be a member of the landed gentry who can afford such season tickets!

for those who are both Giants and Sopranos fans:

On last nite's Giants game, they showed a fan in the stands who looked kinda like Vito (the gay hitman who got whacked on Sun nite's ep), and one of the Giants' announcers said "didn't I see him getting beat up on the Sopranos last nite?" and then he made a JohnnyCakes reference! I nearly fell off the couch laughing!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #307 on: May 25, 2006, 10:51:01 AM »
Anybody see the Giants-Cards game yesterday?  I took a long lunch, ate some pizza & watched it at a nearby sportsbar.

Crazy, crazy game.

First of all the Cards pitchers combined to go 3-4, only a single away from hitting for the cycle.  This started with yesterday's winner Jason Marquis pinch-hitting to lead off the 3rd and hitting a triple on the first pitch, Adam Wainwright leading off the 5th and hitting a line drive on the first pitch into the 7th row of the left field bleachers, and then Braden Looper doubling in the 9th.  Neither Wainwright nor Looper had even taken batting practice since Spring Training, and in Wainwright's case it was his first major league at bat!  So he joins a very short list of guys who've homered on their first pitch in the bigs.

Going back to the 3rd inning, after one pitch Marquis (who's now 5 for 13 as a pinch-hitter in his career) is on 3rd with nobody out.  Eckstein singles him home, and then, after a multi-pitch at bat in which he doesn't look good at all, Spiezio hits a pop-up behind 2nd.  Durham runs out there, but is looking straight into the sun & loses the ball.  Sweeney on 1st & Ortmeier in RF also converge, but maybe not at full-speed because they don't seem to realize that Durham has lost it, and suddenly it lands with a plop for just about the lamest single you ever saw.  If Eckstein had know it would drop he could easily have reached 3rd, but as it was he barely made it to 2nd in time.  Now Pujols comes up and with 2 strikes hits a monstrous shot into right-center.  Ortmeier goes back to the wall right at the 385 mark - can he make a leaping grab? - only to see the ball hit off the brick facade of the Promenade about 4 feet over his head.  A home run in more than half the parks in the league, and extra bases anywhere else, but the ball ricochets off the brick so sharply that it winds up in Finley's glove in CF in about 0.3 seconds.  Once again Eckstein had stayed close to the bag because the ball might have been caught, and with Finley's arm to consider he stops at 3rd.  So, with two men on Pujols has just hit a ball that would have landed more than 400 feet from home plate, he's held to a single and NOBODY SCORES! Neither I nor Krukow nor Kuiper had ever seen anyhting like it.  But I'm still feeling good, the bases are loaded with no outs and the 4-5-6 hitters due up.  Except Rolen, who the graphic shows has a career .291 average with the bases loaded & 4 career slams, strikes out and then Encarnacion, who has 4 RBI's in the series already, grounds into a DP.

In the bottom of the 3rd the tables are turned when the G-men get the bases loaded with nobody out & the exact same thing happens, K + DP to end the inning.

Then in the 6th, Giants still leading 4-3, Encarnacion & Luna are on 2nd & 1st after leading off with back-to-back singles.  LaRussa apparently calls a double-steal, but Encarnacion jumps too soon & Lowry holds the ball & has him caught off of second.  He runs towards him to see which way he will break & when he leans back towards second Lowry throws the ball to Durham...about 8 feet over his head into center field.  Now on 3rd & 2nd, Encarnacion & Luna score easily on Molina's single & Taguchi's sac fly.  Cards now up 5-4.  This was Lowry's first career error.

Next inning with Munter pitching the Cardinals send 9 men to the plate & score 4 runs like this: infield single, walk, RBI single to right, walk, 4-pitch bases-loaded walk, RBI infield single, RBI groundout to 2nd (the last two items after Kline replaced Munter).  4 runs on 3 walks & only one ball out of the infield.  Which makes the the Cardinals' half of the 3rd inning seem even more bizarre in retrospect.

After the game the Giants send Ortmeier back to AAA and send Munter back to AA.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #308 on: May 25, 2006, 11:02:26 AM »
How much weight has Speizio lost? He was completely unrecognizable to me.  When you stop using the juice...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #309 on: May 25, 2006, 11:12:21 AM »
How much weight has Speizio lost? He was completely unrecognizable to me.  When you stop using the juice...

Dunno, but he went 2-5, raising his average to .317.  Right now the Cardinals 1 thru 4 spots look like this:

Eckstein -  BA .321, OBP .390
Spiezio - BA .317, OBP .418
Pujols - BA .323, OBP .449
Rolen - BA .315, OBP .397
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #310 on: May 25, 2006, 02:05:47 PM »
Yeah, the Gaints.....Almost went to the day game.

I saw a tidbit today that mentioned Eddie D and Carmen Policy were looking to buy the Raiders and move to LA? eh?
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #311 on: May 25, 2006, 02:45:39 PM »
Probably much or little ado 'bout nothing...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12953980/
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #312 on: May 29, 2006, 08:26:54 PM »
Well, it was a holiday weekend, so none of us were around when Barry hit 715... but I was unaware until tonite of the big story -- that the microphone went dead in the middle of Dave Fleming's call on KNBR!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/29/SPG5CJ417O1.DTL

This happened on the same day that the Chronicle ran a story about the strained relations between the station and the Giants.   :roll:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #313 on: May 31, 2006, 02:04:22 PM »
Another day, another Oakland A on the DL: Mark Ellis.

They cannot catch a break -- and add to that the fact that they're seeing the NL West during interleague, which (Giants aside) will do ZERO for their attendance figures.

ETA: OMGWTFLOL! Jason Kendall finally hits a Home Run! And the A's actually beat the Royals, 7-0.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #314 on: May 31, 2006, 09:58:36 PM »
Roger Clemens pitching for the Astros. $12.8 mil. Damn. That was a long retirement.....
Sharks bleed teal.