Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 446610 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #285 on: April 30, 2006, 12:00:51 PM »
OK, this business of A's games not being on TV has gotta stop.  Listening on radio as Nick Swisher hits a 3-run homer to give the boys a 5-1 lead over KC.  Chavvy & Swishy: the new Bash Brothers?

Yesterday's disastrous Louiza outing begins to fade from memory...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2006, 09:29:48 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
OK, this business of A's games not being on TV has gotta stop.  Listening on radio as Nick Swisher hits a 3-run homer to give the boys a 5-1 lead over KC.  Chavvy & Swishy: the new Bash Brothers?

Yesterday's disastrous Louiza outing begins to fade from memory...

And no sooner had I posted this, than the Royals tied the game! But the A's eventually came roaring back and won 13-6.

Meanwhile -- GO SHARKS! They eliminated the Predators (having Barbara Mandrell in da house didn't bring the Nashville boys any luck).  Now it's on to... Colorado, I think. Maybe we should make a little wager with Ginger.

BTW, I'm taking a 4-day weekend, so I'll be missing Rob, Bob & Ginger on Mon & Tues.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2006, 09:46:11 PM »
right on SHARKS!!! On to round 2. TIckets on sale Wednesday. I'll be there for at least two of the home games. Being at the home playoff games is too exciting to miss.

Last week on Tuesday I was taking the train to San Jose and bad luck have it, an old lady fell off the train while disembarking in Palo Alto. 30 minute train delay while fire and ambulance got to the scene. I felt badly for her but was sweating about getting to the game on time. Total sports distraction.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #288 on: May 02, 2006, 09:22:30 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
right on SHARKS!!! On to round 2. TIckets on sale Wednesday. I'll be there for at least two of the home games. Being at the home playoff games is too exciting to miss.

Last week on Tuesday I was taking the train to San Jose and bad luck have it, an old lady fell off the train while disembarking in Palo Alto. 30 minute train delay while fire and ambulance got to the scene. I felt badly for her but was sweating about getting to the game on time. Total sports distraction.

Everybody gots to cheer for the Mighty Ducks tomorrow night as they play their Game 7 up in Calgary.  If they win it'll mean that every lower seeded team in the Western Conference upset the higher seed (which is unprecedented), but more importantly that the Sharks will be the highest seed remaining and have home ice for the duration of their run!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #289 on: May 02, 2006, 04:56:38 PM »
Game report: Beautiful day, not-so-beautiful game (Giants lost 5-3). I shoulda flew to Anaheim for that A's/Angels bench-clearing brawl! Yowsah!

Nonetheless...

1. Barry did homer, 712, and, new this year (?), you can take your ticket stub for a Bonds-HR game to any Giants Dugout store and get an "I saw a Bonds HR" button. Sweet.

2. Matt Morris' final strikeout was his 1,000th career K. Very cool.

3. Omar Vizquel's theme music is Zep's "Kashmir".

4. And you thought the beer was expensive: I paid 5 bucks for the world's smallest tube (1 oz.) of sunscreen, which turned out to have an expiration date of February 2005.

But back to the A's: they won, 10-3; Chavvy hit his 200th career HR; and that brawl (starring Jason "KaveMan" Kendall) will be on SportsCenter all week.  And of course, the game was not televised locally.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #290 on: May 02, 2006, 05:04:00 PM »
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #291 on: May 04, 2006, 11:14:59 AM »
Yay Ducks!  http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=260503003

Sharks now the top seed in the Western Conference.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #292 on: May 04, 2006, 09:33:43 PM »
Edmonton comes to San Jose. I was lucky and got tix for Sunday!!!!! Two single seats, Bob in one end zone, me in the other. Can't complain. This feels more exciting than Giants Opening Day. No tix yet for Monday but I'm going to try.  Cheechoo apparently threw out the A's 1st pitch yesterday,

OAKLAND A’s
When Jonathan Cheechoo was a young man, he wrote a school essay about one day playing professional hockey for the San Jose Sharks he also took a liking to another Bay Area professional sports team. When he was youngster, Cheechoo enjoyed watching the likes of Dave Stewart and Rickey Henderson wear the green and gold of the Oakland Athletics. Cheechoo can be seen sporting an A’s cap in many postgame interviews.

On Wednesday night, they honored the NHL’s leading goalscorer by having him throw out the first pitch.

“I got to going to the clubhouse and meet (Nick) Swisher, (Rich) Harden, (Manager) Ken Macha, (Mark) Kotsay and so many more,” said Cheechoo. “They gave me a jersey with my name and number on it. I want to go when our season is over and get some autographs on it.”
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #293 on: May 09, 2006, 07:33:27 AM »
Go Sharks! Woo Hoo!

KFOG jumped on the bandwagon (and made fun of themselves for doing so) this morning -- played that "Hockey Monkey" song back-to-back with the Wailing Souls' "Shark Attack" which I hadn't heard in ages.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #294 on: May 09, 2006, 08:25:18 AM »
Lady in front of me in traffic this morning had a home-made sign across her rear window, that read DRILL the OILERS!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #295 on: May 09, 2006, 08:28:38 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Lady in front of me in traffic this morning had a home-made sign across her rear window, that read DRILL the OILERS!

Well, if we're talking Chris Pronger I'd love to do some, er, drilling :wink:

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #296 on: May 09, 2006, 08:56:33 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "mshray"

Well, if we're talking Chris Pronger I'd love to do some, er, drilling :wink:

Pretty sure he's a 'Top'.

:wink:  :lol:  :wink:  :lol:  :wink:

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #297 on: May 09, 2006, 09:43:52 AM »
I don't want to know!!!!

Made it to the game last night. wooooo effin hooo! I'm so bloodthirsty. There was plenty of physical skirmish. Great fun. Hopefully we take both Edmonton games, otherwise they'll be back here for a Mothers Day game.

Totally threw me at the end when we thought the game was over, we won, we celebrated...then 3 seconds got put back on the clock. We got to celebrate again.
Yay!
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #298 on: May 10, 2006, 11:42:55 PM »
Sharks lose in TRIPLE overtime. Damn. Longest game I've ever seen. At least an Edmonton player spit out a few teeth.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #299 on: May 14, 2006, 09:54:30 PM »
2nd sad watching-it-all-unravel-in-the-final-period Sharks/Oilers game.  They're hanging by a thread now -- they've gotta win Tuesday in Edmondton...