Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 427913 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: My end-of-season picks
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2005, 01:34:13 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
NL MVP:
1. Pujols
2. Derrek Lee
3. Willis (that's right, no Andruw Jones)

I just can't get past that batting average, man.  He did provide much-needed leadership, especially with Larry out of commission for so long, so I suppose I should take that into account -- but Pujols was just as integral to the Cards' success with Rolen and Walker debilitated by injuries, and D-Lee was simply dominating in all offensive categories (and has been Gold Glove calibur in the field for years).  Andruw is a solid #4.

I didn't realize his ba was that low.  

BTW, it is official now, my partner and I won our baseball pool this year!  Woohoo!  Should clear a thousand bucks each when we get paid.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2005, 03:54:25 PM »
So:  Cards 8, Pads 5.  Didn't realize Peavy's out for the rest of the postseason -- he musta done somethin' to piss off Jeezus.  Could be a Cards sweep.

And yay White Sox, clobberin' the Red Sox.  Now if the Angels can beat up on the Yanks...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2005, 01:02:26 PM »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2005, 03:50:57 PM »
Pujols was just as integral to the Cards' success with Rolen and Walker debilitated by injuries,

I believe you have a typo there, you meant to say:

Pujols was substantially more integral to the Cards' success with Sanders, Molina and Walker debilitated by injuries, and Rolen out for good after the break.

I still think Carpenter is the Cy Young as well, he did something that hadn't been done since Gibson's 1968 season, racking up 22 consecutive "Quality Starts" (min 6 inings, 3 or fewer runs).  He tailed off a bit, but his dominant consistency meant that for 3 months the Cards only lost 2 series.  Clemens famously lost a whole bunch 1-0 games, but 2 of them were to Carpenter.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2005, 03:52:26 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
A's will announce today that Macha won't be back:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051005&content_id=1238823&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Betcha he winds up in Pittsburgh.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2005, 03:57:46 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051005&content_id=1238823&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The hot rumor was that the Pirates were close to signing Tracy (late of the Dodgers), but hey it's a rumor.  One other job Macha was coveting is now filled (Detroit).

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2005, 04:28:44 PM »
Pujols was just as integral to the Cards' success with Rolen and Walker debilitated by injuries,

<snip>

I think Gaz knew what he was saying.  :wink:
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2005, 04:31:26 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

<snip>

I think Gaz knew what he was saying.  :wink:

Just being the homer that y'all know I am already.   :wink:

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2005, 07:37:37 PM »

Oh, gods.  No one deserves that fate.  Seriously: Managing the Pirates must be the least rewarding job imaginable, since the franchise is a farm team that can't keep a player as soon as he becomes good enough to make more than 1.5 mil a year.  Shameful behavior on the part of their owners, particularly in light of the way they railroaded the citizens of the city into paying for that lovely ballpark.  Literally: SHAMEFUL.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2005, 11:03:06 AM »
speaking of shameful: Game 3 of Cards/Padres will air Sat nite at 11 pm EST!  Because, of course, Yanks/Angels MUST be on in Prime time.  Bring me the head of Bud Selig!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2005, 03:51:15 PM »
That just might do it for the Red Sox.  Manny homered leading off the bottom of the 6th to make it 4-3 Chicago & chase Freddy Garcia.  Marte came and promptly loaded the bases, so they brought in El Duque, with nobody out.  Went to a full count on Varitek but then he popped out to 1st.  Full count to Graffanino but then he popped out to short.  Full count to Damon but then he struck out swinging.

Can you say 'missed opportunity'?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2005, 09:20:35 PM »
That just might do it for the Red Sox.  Manny homered leading off the bottom of the 6th to make it 4-3 Chicago & chase Freddy Garcia.  Marte came and promptly loaded the bases, so they brought in El Duque, with nobody out.  Went to a full count on Varitek but then he popped out to 1st.  Full count to Graffanino but then he popped out to short.  Full count to Damon but then he struck out swinging.

Couldn't've happened to a nicer bunch of overexposed media whores :wink:   And I just watched the Spankees lose, so I'm really smilin' ...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2005, 03:20:03 PM »

Couldn't've happened to a nicer bunch of overexposed media whores :wink:   And I just watched the Spankees lose, so I'm really smilin' ...

Well the Spankees can't lose today due to the rainout, but if Atlanta & St. Louis win I'll have had a great day.  Watched Minnesota beat Michigan for the first time since 1986 earlier, and Oklahoma was getting spanked also.  MI & OK are for me the Yankees of college football.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2005, 07:32:33 PM »

Well the Spankees can't lose today due to the rainout, but if Atlanta & St. Louis win I'll have had a great day.  Watched Minnesota beat Michigan for the first time since 1986 earlier, and Oklahoma was getting spanked also.  MI & OK are for me the Yankees of college football.

sadly, the Astros are beating the Braves 7-2 in the 7th.  But I'm watching my first Sharks game of the year -- they're in St Louis -- and the Sharks just won 7-6.  This is apparently "the new NHL", meaning lots more goals per game, and I'm diggin' it.  Guess they'll have to stop giving away free pizza after 4 goals.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2005, 09:16:51 PM »
I'm glad hockey is back. I'm going to the shark tank next Saturday. There was a family pack offer where you get four tickets, hot dogs, pretzels and sodas.
Go Sharks!
Sharks bleed teal.