Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 443588 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "urth"
So anyone care to guess how long before Joe Torre is shown the door? I'd say probably by this weekend. Steinbrenner cannot be happy that his Yankees have missed two World Series in a row, have not won the series in 5 years and have only played in two of the last four. I'm thinking Torre will be handed his head, and sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, I don't think he'll be out of work for long. Can you picture him in Dodger blue?

I dunno, people said the same thing last year. George & Joe are co-dependent, methinks.  Word is Cashman may be more likely to leave.  But yeah, if they fire Torre the Dodgers'll snap him up immediately.  But who will the Yanks get?  Ken Macha? ROTFL!!!

Lou Piniella.

I still think Torre's on the way out. Heard that someone quoted Steinbrenner last night as saying "it's in the manager's hands." Can't be much plainer than that.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2005, 12:34:55 PM »
oo, I forgot about Sweet Lou. Piniella and Steinbrenner -- THAT'LL be fun to watch!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2005, 08:09:53 PM »
Holy shit, AJ Pierzynski just stole that game -- pretty much literally -- from the Angels.  If I were an Anaheim fan I'd be mightily pissed tonight.

Hope Mshray enjoyed his Cards game!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2005, 08:11:44 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
I still think Torre's on the way out. Heard that someone quoted Steinbrenner last night as saying "it's in the manager's hands." Can't be much plainer than that.

Steinbrenner is such an astonishing asshole.  He has no idea what he's got in Torre.  Fuckwad thinks he knows the game because he has some money.  I hope children laugh at him all winter.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2005, 10:33:29 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Holy shit, AJ Pierzynski just stole that game -- pretty much literally -- from the Angels.  If I were an Anaheim fan I'd be mightily pissed tonight.

That play will be talked about for years (especially if the Sox win that series).  For his part, AJ says he observed the same thing when he was catching for SF -- the Red Sox did it to the Giants (they showed the clip). But out is out... unless it's not.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2005, 08:21:23 AM »
A's may do it Orel-ly: Hersheiser a candidate for manager.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/13/SPG6LF7M8D1.DTL

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2005, 09:12:44 AM »

That play will be talked about for years (especially if the Sox win that series).  For his part, AJ says he observed the same thing when he was catching for SF -- the Red Sox did it to the Giants (they showed the clip). But out is out... unless it's not.

I'm still shaking my head in amazement. He was OUT. Catcher had the ball.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2005, 12:53:12 PM »
From the Onion:

Fox Cancels ALCS After Just Two Episodes

LOS ANGELES—Fox Entertainment president Gail Berman announced Thursday that the network is pulling the plug on ALCS, the new three-hour drama/comedy about two rival clubs competing for the coveted "pennant," just two shows into its run. "This uninspired series featured a cast of uninteresting characters, a hackneyed plot, and more boring narration than actual meaningful dialogue," Berman said. "We tried to find an audience on Tuesdays, then on Wednesdays, and we were prepared to move its time slot to Friday nights or Saturday afternoons before ultimately realizing that the series had zero potential." Television experts cited several other possible reasons for the early cancellation, such as the overly expensive sets and costumes, the show's subject matter, and the fact that the series' projected breakout character—a brash, outspoken black man named Carl Everett—tested very poorly with audiences. Fox remains optimistic about its other fledgling program, NLCS, but critics say the series has "very little chance" of making it past seven episodes.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2005, 07:49:40 PM »
If I were in the army, I would want Roy Oswalt to be my drill sergeant.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2005, 10:19:12 AM »

Hope Mshray enjoyed his Cards game!

We shore did.  What more could you ask for?

We went a bit early and walked around the big pep rally, with booths from about 6 local radio stations, all broadcasting live, a live band, and the big fountain had red colored water going.  Of course everyone was wearing red themselves.  

Walked around the backside of Busch to see the new stadium construction, which is very interesting.  The south half of the new stadium is already built, complete with seats.  It's like someone chopped it in half.  After they demo the old Busch stadium they will build the north half of the stadium in the area where the first base & right field sections are of the old stadium.  There is a yellow pole sticking up out of the right filed bleachers where the new stadium's left field foul pole will be.  When it's finished batters will be looking over the center field fence directly at The Arch.

In Busch the only difference between the first row of the 200 level and the last row of the 100 (field level) is a metal bar going across.  There are 4 more rows and then a walkway.  So we were in row 6 of the 200 level, one row removed from the walkway, just to the outfield side of the home dugout.  Awesome seats!  (which for over $1000 for 4 tix they damn well should have been!)

The game had everything a Cards fan could want except that Edmonds couldn't quite make the spectacluar first inning grab of Berkman's double.  But for the rest of the game Berkman, Ensberg & Lane (3-4-5 hitters) combined to ground out 8 times.  When Sanders came up in the bottom of the first with Eckstein aboard, the whole place started chanting "REG-GIE!! REG-GIE!!" and he responded with a 445 ft homer to left center.  We also saw a squeeze play and a pair of 2 out RBI singles.  Baseball at its best.  The temperature was 70 at game time and by the 9th inning had dropped all the way down to 68.  I kept looking and it was only on the way out that I finally saw someone who wasn't wearing red.  Oh, and I was on the Jumbotron between innings twice!  I had a hand puppet of the Fredbird mascot, maybe it was on the telecast.

Of course what happened last night has dampened my enthusiasm.  But they've beaten the Astros with less in the past.

Almost forgot, one radio guy said on the air "...tonight's game against the Astros, or as I like to call them, the Asses.  Hey if they can shorten it to the 'Stros, I can shorten it to the Asses."  

Gotta love it.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2005, 10:32:15 AM »
Actually that'd be the As'es, but I'm down with the sentiment.

GO CARDS!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2005, 12:22:49 PM »
The A's are bringing back Ken Macha after all!  This is a bit surreal, no?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/10/14/sports/s115225D08.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2005, 08:35:57 PM »
Damn, what happened to the Cards? David Eckstein is their last chance here in the ninth. Will we all be rootin' for the White Sox in the Series?

Eckstein gets a base hit! Now it's up to Edmonds...

... who draws a walk! Pujols could do something here, I hope.

AND HE DOES!!!  3-run homer to put the Cards ahead. Stayin Alive, Baby!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2005, 09:49:54 PM »
On to hockey now. It was more than wonderful to have hockey again. Sharks on Saturday night were grand. Quite a pre-game show. Lights, music, images on ice and thru the crowd. The fanfare had the fans in a frenzy. I don't know the right techno term for the image displays. The players and their names were shown on the ice in glorious color. Covered the whole rink. The NHL logo was splashed across the audience all around the rink. Quite a "show" as well as sport. Also, winning aint bad. "Four in the net and it's pizza you get."  Ticket stubs redeemable at Round Table for free pizza. YAY SHARKS!!! Oh, some guy proposed to his gal at center ice. She said yes. At least in front of the crowd she did.

Going back to San Jose in a few weeks for an Earthquakes playoff game or some semi-final type game. If you havern't been to a 'Quakes game, it's a real nice outdoor event. It sure is nice having so many sports to choose from.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2005, 09:50:23 PM »
Damn, what happened to the Cards? David Eckstein is their last chance here in the ninth. Will we all be rootin' for the White Sox in the Series?

Eckstein gets a base hit! Now it's up to Edmonds...

... who draws a walk! Pujols could do something here, I hope.

AND HE DOES!!!  3-run homer to put the Cards ahead. Stayin Alive, Baby!

Yep, quite the finish.  Pujols CRUSHED that hanging slider.  Hope the Cards can pull this series out.  Hard choice between the Lastros and the Sox...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing