Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 427911 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2005, 08:57:19 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Great catch. I think we are 5 games out? I'm not holding onto any playoff hopes.

yeah great catch -- lucky for Benitez, who needs help.  I note the newspaper articles today all talked about Barry & Moises and barely mentioned the aggravating nearly-blown save.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2005, 09:22:01 AM »
Great catch. I think we are 5 games out? I'm not holding onto any playoff hopes.

And well you should not.  However, considering SD lost 20 to 1 last night in Colorado, anything is possible....

Go Giants.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2005, 09:28:20 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

And well you should not.  However, considering SD lost 20 to 1 last night in Colorado, anything is possible....

Go Giants.

SD actually ran out of pitchers by the end.  Gotta love that.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2005, 09:29:00 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Go Giants.

SD actually ran out of pitchers by the end.  Gotta love that.

Of course, Sean Burroughs was a logical replacement, considering he spent much of this year hitting like a pitcher ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2005, 09:46:57 PM »
Ho-lee sheet! GREAT Giants win over San Diego. Stunned them. Took it in top o the 9th and fended them off in the bottom. JT went for a foul ball and dove into the camera persons enclosure. Got nicked by the camera and played on.
wooo effin hooo! One down, three to go in the series.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2005, 07:40:03 AM »
Ho-lee sheet! GREAT Giants win over San Diego. Stunned them. Took it in top o the 9th and fended them off in the bottom. JT went for a foul ball and dove into the camera persons enclosure. Got nicked by the camera and played on.
wooo effin hooo! One down, three to go in the series.

It looked like the camera got nicked by JT too -- it was dented after he hit it!  If you'd've told me that in the last week the Giants would be closer to first place than the A's...

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2005, 09:07:59 AM »
If the A's don't wion their next game, they're out, no?
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2005, 09:32:40 AM »
If the A's don't wion their next game, they're out, no?

The Angels' "magic number" is 2.  So if the A's lose to the Angels, yes, they are done.

The Padres' "magic number" is 4.  Giants need to sweep.  And continue winning after that.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2005, 03:42:13 PM »
y'all know I love Betting Fool on sfgate. Here's his latest comments on KNBR:

" I was listening to KNBR on Friday night (I know, major loserville) and got a full dose of F.P. Santangelo and I found out three things on my 20-minute ride home.

1) Dude! Beer totally rocks.

2) Dude! Hot chicks are, like, totally hot.

3) All callers to F.P's show totally dig beer and hot chicks. Dude!

3A) Dude, F.P played professional baseball for, like, 17 years. Totally.

Monday afternoon, I heard Ralph Barbieri and Lincoln Kennedy talk about the Cowboys kicker controversy in which massive lineman Larry Allen went up to Jose Cortez and looked like he was about to beat him up after a botched extra point. Kennedy, who I like very much, goes on to say that everyone on NFL teams hate kickers and that Allen should have beat on him, etc.

Ralph chimes in with: "What makes it worse is that they're all foreigners."

Wow, and Larry Krueger got fired for what? The truth, that's right.

And where are PETA-lovin'/liberal Ralph's ancestors from? Vinatieriville in Italy, perhaps? Yes, Italy County in North Dakota I'm guessing.

Also, a quick check of NFL rosters shows that Jason Elam, Jason Tynes, Jeff Wilkins, Paul Edinger, Nate Kaeding, Jeff Reed, Josh Brown, Todd Peterson, Neil Rackers, John Carney, John Kasay, Rian Lindell, Doug Brien, Phil Dawson, Seth Marler, Mike Nugent, Matt Bryant and Jeff Chandler sound a lot more like members of a rec-league flag football team in Kansas.

Other than that, terrific statement Ralph, who has clearly been given the grim label of "sacred cow" and is untouchable. "

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2005, 08:37:50 AM »
Joe Sportsfan's worthless baseball card collection:

http://www.joesportsfan.com/CardCollection.html

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
My end-of-season picks
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2005, 10:06:14 AM »
AL MVP:
1. Ortiz
2. A-Rod
3. Damon

NL MVP:
1. Pujols
2. Derrek Lee
3. Willis (that's right, no Andruw Jones)

AL Cy Young:
1. Colon
2. Santana
3. either Garland or Wakefield

NL Cy Young:
1. Willis
2. Carpenter
3. Clemens

AL Rookie of Year:
1. Huston Street
2. Gustavo Chacin
3. Robinson Cano

NL Rookie of Year:
1. Ryan Howard
2. Jeff Francoeur
3. Willy Taveras
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2005, 12:17:19 PM »
Hey Mark, if the Pads don't start showing some sign of life, your Cards will be cruising into the NLCS. St. Louis rocked Peavy for 8 runs in 4 innings, including a Reggie Sanders grand salami. Although Carpenter did not exactly look invincible out there either--he had runners on base a lot, and got bailed out by some great defense.

Btw, Mike, who's the new avatar? Can't quite make out the type across the top there.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: My end-of-season picks
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2005, 12:34:33 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
NL MVP:
1. Pujols
2. Derrek Lee

Why not?  Too many home runs and rbi?  Too good in the outfield?  Anchored his team too well?  Without hime, the Braves would not have won their division.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2005, 12:38:13 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Hey Mark, if the Pads don't start showing some sign of life, your Cards will be cruising into the NLCS. St. Louis rocked Peavy for 8 runs in 4 innings, including a Reggie Sanders grand salami. Although Carpenter did not exactly look invincible out there either--he had runners on base a lot, and got bailed out by some great defense.

Btw, Mike, who's the new avatar? Can't quite make out the type across the top there.

I'd heard that Reggie's "salami" is rather grand...

Avatar is Willie Hutch. As noted in the RIP section, he died 2 weeks ago, tho' I only heard about it over the weekend.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: My end-of-season picks
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2005, 01:23:58 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
NL MVP:
1. Pujols
2. Derrek Lee

Why not?  Too many home runs and rbi?  Too good in the outfield?  Anchored his team too well?  Without hime, the Braves would not have won their division.

I just can't get past that batting average, man.  He did provide much-needed leadership, especially with Larry out of commission for so long, so I suppose I should take that into account -- but Pujols was just as integral to the Cards' success with Rolen and Walker debilitated by injuries, and D-Lee was simply dominating in all offensive categories (and has been Gold Glove calibur in the field for years).  Andruw is a solid #4.