Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 447277 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #750 on: October 08, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »
Nice job Stanford!  

The Bears are #2!

GO BEARS!!!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #751 on: October 09, 2007, 08:17:50 AM »
Happy to see the Tribe yank the Spankees.  Hope they can do the same to the Red Sucks!   A Cleveland WS against either AZ or CO will have FOX execs jumping out of windows.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #752 on: October 09, 2007, 09:27:20 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Happy to see the Tribe yank the Spankees.  Hope they can do the same to the Red Sucks!   A Cleveland WS against either AZ or CO will have FOX execs jumping out of windows.

And much conjecture as to whether Joe Torre will be taking his place in the employment line. I gotta think it'll happen this time--how long has it been since the Yanks even won a divisional series?

ETA: Oh, yeah, 2004, as the Sox beat 'em in the ALCS that year. So not *that* long.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #753 on: October 09, 2007, 09:27:57 AM »

I think it just might be the Indians turn to end a curse.  Sabathia is pitching lights out.

12 years ago Joe Torre got fired by the Cardinals who then hired LaRussa.  Now both seem likely to leave/be let go.  Add to that Barry moving elsewhere & the baseball writers will be having more fun than usual this offseason.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #754 on: October 10, 2007, 03:28:41 PM »
I've long known that the Yankees play Sinatra's "NY, NY" after a game (when they win), just as the Mets play Billy Joel and the Giants play Tony Bennett.

But according to someone on the NY Radio Message Board, the Yanks play the Liza Minnelli version when they lose! If true, that is hilarious!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #755 on: October 10, 2007, 07:08:38 PM »
I've long known that the Yankees play Sinatra's "NY, NY" after a game (when they win), just as the Mets play Billy Joel and the Giants play Tony Bennett.

But according to someone on the NY Radio Message Board, the Yanks play the Liza Minnelli version when they lose! If true, that is hilarious!

C'est vrai, from people I've talked to.  Mike, did we leave the stadium early when Gaudin spun off his one-hitter in June?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #756 on: October 10, 2007, 10:21:58 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

C'est vrai, from people I've talked to.  Mike, did we leave the stadium early when Gaudin spun off his one-hitter in June?

Yes, we did. I left the Mets game early too -- no Billy Joel for me.  But they sang "Sweet Caroline" at the 7th inning stretch, which I thought was odd -- isn't that a Red Sox thing?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #757 on: October 15, 2007, 09:17:46 PM »
Rocktober indeed. Rockies are ready to sweep. Some fine (not so fine if you're AZ) ball being played.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #758 on: October 15, 2007, 09:57:11 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Rocktober indeed. Rockies are ready to sweep. Some fine (not so fine if you're AZ) ball being played.

Rockies-tober? I feel bad for Byrnesy, but it's really an amazing run they're having. Ginger HAS to do a baseball set before the World Series!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #759 on: October 16, 2007, 08:46:43 AM »

Rockies-tober? I feel bad for Byrnesy, but it's really an amazing run they're having. Ginger HAS to do a baseball set before the World Series!

21 out of 22 is nothing short of astonishing, at any point in the season.  At THIS point in the season it's nothing short of miraculous.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #760 on: October 16, 2007, 09:23:22 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

21 out of 22 is nothing short of astonishing, at any point in the season.  At THIS point in the season it's nothing short of miraculous.

And at this point, you have to feel a little sorry for whichever AL team ends up going against the Rockies juggernaut. However, since the Series doesn't start for another EIGHT DAYS (why is the world series starting on a Wednesday?), the off time could work in their favor--or not. Other baseball machines have had their rhythm disrupted by winning the LCS too quickly and then having to cool their heels for several days waiting for the Series to start. but in any case, winning 10 straight, including NLDS, NLCS, and a one-game playoff just to get into the post season, and 21 of 22 is indeed incredible. Literally.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #761 on: October 16, 2007, 09:33:26 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
why is the world series starting on a Wednesday?

I believe Fox cajoled MLB into changing for ratings reasons. It had been starting on a Saturday, so that if it went to a game 7, that game would be the following Sunday night (Sunday = high viewership).  But lately the series hasn't been going the full 7. This way you've got games 3 & 4 (more interest than games 1 & 2) on the weekend and if there is a 5, 6 & 7 it's just a bonus.  Or something like that.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #762 on: October 16, 2007, 10:28:37 AM »

I agree, we should lobby Ginger to do a baseball set next Wednesday. And offer a few suggestions of songs she should include. Other than the obvious (Centerfield, anyone?), I'd suggest A Dying Cub Fan;s Last Request for starters. Others?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #763 on: October 16, 2007, 10:32:48 AM »

I agree, we should lobby Ginger to do a baseball set next Wednesday. And offer a few suggestions of songs she should include. Other than the obvious (Centerfield, anyone?), I'd suggest A Dying Cub Fan;s Last Request for starters. Others?

"Love is Like a Baseball Game", Intruders
That Rupert Holmes National Anthem thing
"Talkin' Baseball" (Colorado version if there is one)
"Mad Ruth, the Babe", Danny O'Keeffe.
"Paradise by the Dashboard Light", Mr. Loaf.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #764 on: October 16, 2007, 11:22:24 AM »

"Love is Like a Baseball Game", Intruders
That Rupert Holmes National Anthem thing
"Talkin' Baseball" (Colorado version if there is one)
"Mad Ruth, the Babe", Danny O'Keeffe.
"Paradise by the Dashboard Light", Mr. Loaf.

"Night Game" -- Paul Simon
"Catfish" -- Dylan
""Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" -- Chuck Berry
"Glory Days" -- Broooce.
and of course the Springsteen-parody "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".