Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 429202 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2005, 11:31:38 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Hope the Cards can pull this series out.  Hard choice between the Lastros and the Sox...

I guess it wasn't meant to be.  I'm gonna have to go with the Chisox, but only because I have cousins who are Sox fans & Houston is Bush country.  I don't plan to spend any time in front of the tube watching.  On the other hand, maybe if the As's win then Clemens, Biggio & Bagwell will all retire & the Cards won't have to play them in the playoffs anymore.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2005, 06:39:12 PM »
YAY! Clemens leaves the game after 2 innings! Woo hoo! Go Sox!

(OK, it's still a close game -- 4-3 Chicago after 4 -- but still, losing Clemens has gotta hurt the As's.)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2005, 07:28:26 PM »
GO SOX! Did you just catch Liz Phair doing God Bless America?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2005, 10:49:50 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

What was THAT about?  I know she's trying to be mainstream but... sheesh.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2005, 08:23:50 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Alicat"

What was THAT about?  I know she's trying to be mainstream but... sheesh.

Anyone else see Lou Rawls massacre the national anthem tonight?  I was so dumbstruck I had to call the Princess.  He missed almost every high note he tried, and to make it worse, his right eye squinted shut every time he attempted such a note, as if unable to bear watching.

P.S.  They really REALLY need to stop showing that freakish woman with the goalpost teeth on the "Trading Spouses" previews.  Really.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2005, 08:47:54 PM »
Damn, missed the anthem. Very SATISFYING game. WoW!!! Grand Slam, home runs, pouring rain... I can hardly wait until Tuesday for the next game.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2005, 08:51:47 PM »
If I am ever in a burning building, I want Paul Konerko to be the fireman who rescues me.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2005, 10:21:46 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
If I am ever in a burning building, I want Paul Konerko to be the fireman who rescues me.

So, is that the same burning building where Mr Oswalt is your drill sargeant?  I'd rather be rescued by Jenks -- damn, he's a big boy.  Those were 2 terrific games; I always say I'm not gonna get sucked into the WS but wow!

And whothehell was the trumpet player -- they acted like everybody was supposed to know who he was. Sorry I missed Lou. "You'll never find... another Star Spangled Banner like mine..."

Sox in Six!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2005, 09:06:38 AM »
So what's this about Bud Selig wants the roof kept open at Minute Maid for tonite's Game 3? The As's are NOT pleased.  God knows I'm not a fan, but isn't it their park? and their roof?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2005, 09:49:40 AM »
So what's this about Bud Selig wants the roof kept open at Minute Maid for tonite's Game 3? The As's are NOT pleased.  God knows I'm not a fan, but isn't it their park? and their roof?

There's precedent. When the series was in Phoenix a few years back, the D'backs wanted it closed too, but MLB ruled otherwise.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2005, 09:59:17 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

There's precedent. When the series was in Phoenix a few years back, the D'backs wanted it closed too, but MLB ruled otherwise.

But what's the reason?  to create "equal" conditions in both parks?  If so, why not enforce it in the Division and League Series too?  

I don't think Selig is trying to favor the Sox, but I do think he's looking for more HRs (the ball carries better with the roof open, allegedly).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2005, 11:05:42 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

But what's the reason?  to create "equal" conditions in both parks?  If so, why not enforce it in the Division and League Series too?  

I don't think Selig is trying to favor the Sox, but I do think he's looking for more HRs (the ball carries better with the roof open, allegedly).

The official line is that Bud wants consistency, which is complete bullshit.  He wants home runs, and maybe he wants sunshine on TV too.  But he should keep his cakehole shut: Bad things happen when he injects himself directly into any situation.  I think he's a moron who should do what he does best: Nothing.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2005, 08:31:59 PM »
sooo.... who saw the musical guests tonite?  Wynonna, Michael McDonald,  Eric Benet and, er, some other woman did a Hurricane Relief song. (I saw but did not hear; reading the lyrics on closed-captioning was nonetheless quite painful.)  Them Mr. McD stuck around to do the Anthem. He looked old.  If his picture isn't on MenWhoLookLikeKennyRogers.com, it should be.  And Aaron Neville did a vocally strained version of "Gawd Bless America".

Oh, the game... it's 5-4 Sox in the bottom of the 8th, and yes the roof is open. Dustin Hermanson Plaza just came in for Chicago.

I was NOT pleased that Smoltz beat Zito (and everybody else) for the Clemente Award. :evil:

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2005, 09:50:59 PM »
Man o man. Top o the 11th. Nice looking rookie pitcher for HOU. Walls I think. Podesednuk stole 2nd beautifully. Here comes Konerko who's getting walked to 1st. I love baseball.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2005, 09:53:37 AM »
Breaking news:  Sheryl Swoopes, arguably the greatest female basketball player ever (at least she has the most awards & championships at all levels), has come out, the first major pro US athlete to do so at the peak of their career.  She is the current WNBA MVP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=2203853
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010