Author Topic: The Next Club Get-Together  (Read 140298 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Next Club Get-Together
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2005, 09:44:03 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Hey Y'all, it's time to start nailing down our plans for May 21.

I myself have no real interest in trying to attend any of the Kaboom music, but I definitely want to see the fireworks.  

As to the BBQ shindig, I have confirmed spousal approval, and am already thinking up some good kid friendly activities for mine, Ali's &  Dave's kids.

So I was thinking of a roughly 2pm to 7pm timeframe.  What do you think?

sounds fab.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2005, 09:53:19 AM »

I myself have no real interest in trying to attend any of the Kaboom music, but I definitely want to see the fireworks.  

As to the BBQ shindig, I have confirmed spousal approval, and am already thinking up some good kid friendly activities for mine, Ali's &  Dave's kids.

Sounds good. I have no desire to see the Kathleen Butler Wallflowers either; but you might want 6pm as your cutoff since getting into the city for the fireworks will be hellish after 7. (unless you're thinking of watching from Oakland? I've never tried that.)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2005, 10:01:10 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
the Kathleen Butler Wallflowers

Is that like the Kathleen Turner Overdrive?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2005, 10:08:36 AM »

Sounds good. I have no desire to see the Kathleen Butler Wallflowers either; but you might want 6pm as your cutoff since getting into the city for the fireworks will be hellish after 7. (unless you're thinking of watching from Oakland? I've never tried that.)

Not if you're taking BART from Castro Valley.  Catch the train at 7:09 (or 7:29) & you're at Embarcadero 32 minutes later.  That gives you 80 (or 60) minutes to find a vantage point.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2005, 10:26:12 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
the Kathleen Butler Wallflowers

Is that like the Kathleen Turner Overdrive?

to-totally my favorite band. :)

oh, i forgot all about traffic. guess i will bart to your place, mark. i'm heading to the late night peyroux show after our shindig. it doesn't start until 10, but i don't want to spend three hours sitting in traffic.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2005, 02:31:02 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

sounds fab.

I'm still good for that date, but not sure if the better half will make it or not. She's taken a new job and often works Saturdays (it's part time), so she might have to take a pass.

And I'll probably do the BART thing as well, so you may end up running shuttles from the CV BART station there, Mark.

There's also an A's/Giants game at Willie Mays Field that night at 5, which will likely end around 8ish, so there'll be a huge clusterfuck at Pier30/32 (and probably all along the Embarcadero) between the arriving kaboomers and those baseball fans that don't choose to stick around for the fireworks.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2005, 02:59:31 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
There's also an A's/Giants game at Willie Mays Field that night at 5, which will likely end around 8ish, so there'll be a huge clusterfuck at Pier30/32 (and probably all along the Embarcadero) between the arriving kaboomers and those baseball fans that don't choose to stick around for the fireworks.

Wow, I'm surprised both events are the same day, they usually coordinate better, no?  The big prob with Kaboom isn't getting there, it's getting home -- everyone descends upon BART at once. The one time I went, I nearly got trampled.  I drive up towards Twin Peaks and watch from above, it's safer  :) .

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2005, 05:20:08 PM »

Wow, I'm surprised both events are the same day, they usually coordinate better, no?  The big prob with Kaboom isn't getting there, it's getting home -- everyone descends upon BART at once. The one time I went, I nearly got trampled.  I drive up towards Twin Peaks and watch from above, it's safer  :) .

Blame the Giants. Last season they scheduled two or three Saturday night games, and they've increased that number this year. I have no idea why that is, being as Saturday games sell out either way, and I would think they'd make more money selling WAY overpriced beer and soda to warm daytime game-goers than selling somewhat overpriced hot chocolate and coffee to chilly nighttime ones.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
kind of makes one wonder...
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2005, 06:51:12 PM »
Blame the Giants. Last season they scheduled two or three Saturday night games, and they've increased that number this year. I have no idea why that is, being as Saturday games sell out either way, and I would think they'd make more money selling WAY overpriced beer and soda to warm daytime game-goers than selling somewhat overpriced hot chocolate and coffee to chilly nighttime ones.
If the Giants are playing a night game, I would imagine some of Kaboom will be visible, at least to many in attendance at SBC.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2005, 08:01:29 PM »

Not sure when FOX starts their Saturday games, but if they begin in May, then it's a non-compete issue -- you can't be on TV at the same time as the FOX game o' the week. So if FOX doesn't pick you to go national, you either play at nite or you're radio-only.

But yeah, I wonder if fans will be allowed to hang out in the park and watch the fireworks from their seats.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2005, 09:38:17 AM »
Not sure when FOX starts their Saturday games, but if they begin in May, then it's a non-compete issue -- you can't be on TV at the same time as the FOX game o' the week. So if FOX doesn't pick you to go national, you either play at nite or you're radio-only.

But yeah, I wonder if fans will be allowed to hang out in the park and watch the fireworks from their seats.

Well, with a 5:05 first pitch, and assuming the fireworks start before 9, all you'd need would be about 2 or 3 extra innings for the game to extend into fireworks time. Wouldn't put money on it happening, but it'd sure be cool for the fans (although the players would probably hate it).
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2005, 12:02:24 PM »

Well, with a 5:05 first pitch, and assuming the fireworks start before 9, all you'd need would be about 2 or 3 extra innings for the game to extend into fireworks time. Wouldn't put money on it happening, but it'd sure be cool for the fans (although the players would probably hate it).

The fireworks never start before 9:00.  It's usually about 9:10 when Dave gets on the horn & they first ask all the boats to toot their horns, then they ask all the people in the skyscrapers to flash their lights (which was us the past 3 years at Christina's old job).

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2005, 04:15:44 PM »
I'm still good for the date but I'm going to try and NOT bring the kids. IF I take them to my Mom's in SF, I could shuttle any of you SF-ites to CV. I would be passing near Urth, Beej and Geoff.

I have a more relaxed time without them and don't want to burden the childless with unnecessary kid chaos. Also, staying up past 9 leaves them a bit cranky which makes me cranky.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2005, 08:52:29 AM »
Well it's May now & the 21st is coming up in less than 2 weeks.

How's it shaping up for everyone?  I still encourage anyone thinking of going from my house to the fireworks to come by BART.  I'll gladly arrange shuttle service & will almost certainly take BART myself to go into SF for the fireworks.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2005, 08:59:26 AM »
Well it's May now & the 21st is coming up in less than 2 weeks.

How's it shaping up for everyone?  I still encourage anyone thinking of going from my house to the fireworks to come by BART.  I'll gladly arrange shuttle service & will almost certainly take BART myself to go into SF for the fireworks.

I saw poc Fri nite and we'll be BART-ing together, as she's house-sitting in my 'hood.  BTW, did you come to a decision about the A's game on Memorial Day?