Author Topic: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)  (Read 96024 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2011, 08:35:22 PM »
Question for Tinka: Who the (bleep) is Leba Hertz? (Is she married to Dick Hertz?). I've never seen her by-line in the Chron before, but there she is today, reviewing Nick Broomfield's new Palin docu. (Because Mick, Amy and Hartlaub were all busy?) They call her "Chronicle Staff Writer" but she's NTM.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/30/DD731LAPNH.DTL

She's the movie assignment editor.  The default byline for anyone on staff who doesn't have a specific title is 'Chron Staff Writer.'
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2011, 07:57:05 AM »
In today's Chron: Greil Marcus examines culture through the prism of pop
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/30/MN961KS2G3.DTL&ao=all

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2011, 01:56:27 AM »
Good news: Just discovered that three of the four surviving Faces (I'd bet you can guess who was the party pooper) have put together a book telling their version of the band's story.

Bad news: Near as I can tell, the best price on it is 345 pounds. Which means it's not bloody likely that my local library will be adding it to their collection. Guess I'm waiting for the paperback.

http://www.genesis-publications.com/faces/
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2011, 08:10:42 AM »
Good news: Just discovered that three of the four surviving Faces (I'd bet you can guess who was the party pooper) have put together a book telling their version of the band's story.

Bad news: Near as I can tell, the best price on it is 345 pounds. Which means it's not bloody likely that my local library will be adding it to their collection. Guess I'm waiting for the paperback.

http://www.genesis-publications.com/faces/

very cool!  some cool pix on that web site, including this one where they're partying at a Holiday Inn!  woohoo!  check out the bus in the background. 

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2011, 08:15:13 AM »
woohoo!  check out the bus in the background. 

check out the bus in Rod's pants!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
woohoo!  check out the bus in the background. 

check out the bus in Rod's pants!

Check out Ian McLagan going down the pool slide!  Weeeeeee!

... and notice the "Ford" sign in the background. Where was this Holiday Inn anyway?  Frontage Road, New Jersey?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:27:44 AM by T-Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2012, 08:30:28 AM »
The NYT deceases the number of "free" internet articles you're allowed each month from 20 to 10. 

http://www.nytimes.com/subscriptions/Multiproduct/lp6128.html?campaignId=39UWK

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2012, 07:42:20 AM »
So, all of a sudden the SF Examiner is no longer a right-wing rag and they're buying the Guardian? WTF??

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2012, 10:54:38 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »
Can someone explain the SFGate re-design? Where's the link to the Sunday Datebook, which I'm guessing is what MOST people head for first on Sunday morning?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2012, 10:38:51 AM »
Can someone explain the SFGate re-design? Where's the link to the Sunday Datebook, which I'm guessing is what MOST people head for first on Sunday morning?

OK I finally found what I wanted after looking for 15 minutes. It's tagged as "Entertainment"

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/

And you really have to hunt to figure it out (even their "FAQs about thye re-design" page wasn't all that helpful).   Needless to say, what I was looking for was BFT's radio column, and -- yes -- he does a KFOG follow-up today.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2012, 12:04:11 AM »

OK I finally found what I wanted after looking for 15 minutes. It's tagged as "Entertainment"

And you really have to hunt to figure it out (even their "FAQs about thye re-design" page wasn't all that helpful).   Needless to say, what I was looking for was BFT's radio column, and -- yes -- he does a KFOG follow-up today.

It also turns up on the TV & Radio page, which is where I've always gone to find it. The only thing is, it used to be accompanied by one avatar that made it easy to ID (the microphone with a sort of green electrical halo around it) and today it had some random picture that didn't say anything about radio to me.  Still managed to find it, but yes, a bit more of a shot in the dark.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2012, 08:00:35 AM »

It also turns up on the TV & Radio page, which is where I've always gone to find it. The only thing is, it used to be accompanied by one avatar that made it easy to ID (the microphone with a sort of green electrical halo around it) and today it had some random picture that didn't say anything about radio to me.  Still managed to find it, but yes, a bit more of a shot in the dark.

under the previous design, EVERY article had 2 links at the top of the page: one for the SFGate home and another for the Chronicle page with all the sections linked.... and then on Sunday there was a link to "Sunday datebook" on that page. That old-layout Chronicle page no longer exists, apparently

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
And while we're harping on SFGate (sorry TC) -- that "Meebo" thing they've grafted onto the website makes my browser crash constantly whenever I try to click the "hide" button. Sheesh.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »
And while we're harping on SFGate (sorry TC) -- that "Meebo" thing they've grafted onto the website makes my browser crash constantly whenever I try to click the "hide" button. Sheesh.

what's your browser and OS?

yes, it blows.
~CPL593H~