Author Topic: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)  (Read 95822 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »

Out here in the hinterlands, a housemate has decided not to renew their subscription to
the Sunday Chronicle, as the price as risen to $5.75 a paper ($75 for 13 weeks), delivered.
They can still tootle out to the local convenience store and pick one up for $3.30, tax included.

What are people in, and closer to, the big city paying for Sunday Chronicle delivery?

I agreed that rate was pretty steep, given the same delivery person also handles the BANG
papers (Murky News, etc.), the NYT, and (I think) the WSJ -- so the presumably lower subscription
density shouldn't be a big factor.
We are old-timers who still get daily delivery.  I'm embarrassed to report the monthly fee is 102.80.  Way too much.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2018, 10:20:57 PM »

I haven't seen Tom Stienstra's outdoors column in the Sunday Chronicle for several weeks.  Anybody
know why it's been missing?
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »
I haven't seen Tom Stienstra's outdoors column in the Sunday Chronicle for several weeks.  Anybody
know why it's been missing?

I'm guessing that Stienstra's Sunday column, along with the "Sunday Drive" feature, was simply
eliminated.  And now the Insight section has been axed as well, reduced from a dozen pages to
three and placed at the end of section A.  The sad downward spiral of newspapers continues.

Yes, a lot of the material is available online.  But then, why go to the Chronicle's web site?  I can
get that commentary anywhere.  And I don't want to sit at my computer on Sunday mornings.

One used to go to the cafe with one's sweetie on Sundays for a fashionably late brunch, trading
sections of the Sunday paper back and forth, and pointing out items of interest.  What do kids do
now, each just staring at their own phones?  Where's the romance in that?
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"