Author Topic: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)  (Read 95949 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »
And while we're harping on SFGate (sorry TC) -- that "Meebo" thing they've grafted onto the website makes my browser crash constantly whenever I try to click the "hide" button. Sheesh.

what's your browser and OS?

yes, it blows.

I've got IE 7 at work, which is where the crashing happens. We've been begging for an upgrade forever. (at home I have IE 9 and the problem doesn't happen there)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »
And while we're harping on SFGate (sorry TC) -- that "Meebo" thing they've grafted onto the website makes my browser crash constantly whenever I try to click the "hide" button. Sheesh.

what's your browser and OS?

yes, it blows.

I've got IE 7 at work, which is where the crashing happens. We've been begging for an upgrade forever. (at home I have IE 9 and the problem doesn't happen there)

Crashes sometimes with IE8 too.  Meebo is annoying as hell, but I understand it's an income generator and there is no such thing as a free lunch.  Slate.com has Meebo too, but it doesn't seem to crash as often.  Not sure all the sfgate crashes are caused by Meebo...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2012, 09:28:22 AM »
Sfgate, especially the movie reviews, is awfully crashy today.  At least it is in IE8.

I will have to go with my gut on "Ted" -- yech.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »
Sfgate, especially the movie reviews, is awfully crashy today.  At least it is in IE8.

I will have to go with my gut on "Ted" -- yech.

reviews have been mixed -- no surprise since you either love McFarlane or hate him. I hate Family Guy but love American Dad, and Ted seems closer to FG than AD.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »
SFGate: seriously, Meebo has got to go. I give up. The site crashes every single time I try to read an article that's longer than 2 paragraphs. Sheesh.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2012, 09:00:46 AM »
sorry to keep ragging on SFGate, but a link to this article showed up in the "we also recommend" section today. Only problem: this article is 5 YEARS OLD!

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Man-dies-in-20-foot-fall-off-wall-at-Monster-Park-3300176.php

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2012, 09:05:55 AM »
sorry to keep ragging on SFGate, but a link to this article showed up in the "we also recommend" section today. Only problem: this article is 5 YEARS OLD!

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Man-dies-in-20-foot-fall-off-wall-at-Monster-Park-3300176.php

it's all contextual. The machine figures if you're interested in reading whatever you were reading, you also might like this horror story.  What was the orig story you were reading?

PS: Meebo!  blah!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2012, 09:18:26 AM »

it's all contextual. The machine figures if you're interested in reading whatever you were reading, you also might like this horror story.  What was the orig story you were reading?

I was reading the AP story about actress Tammy Blanchard and her new movie.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »

It appears that Meebo has been removed from Slate.com. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »

It appears that Meebo has been removed from Slate.com.

so if Slate.com jumped off a bridge, we should, too?  ;) 
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »

I was reading the AP story about actress Tammy Blanchard and her new movie.

funny, I just looked at that same article and this was one of the suggested pieces, also from 1987!

S.F. man arrested for contact with Chronicle employees
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-man-arrested-for-contact-with-Chronicle-3233227.php

It's ponderous, man, ponderous.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2012, 11:11:07 AM »
Rich Lieberman just dropped a notch or 2 in my esteem: today's blog post is about how much he loves reading Mick LaSalle.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2013, 11:08:48 AM »
And you thought Al-Jazeera buying Current was weird:  The company that owns the Examiner and the SF Bay Guardian just bought SF Weekly.

http://blog.sfgate.com/bottomline/2013/01/09/sf-weekly-acquired-by-sf-examiner-which-owns-the-bay-guardian/

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2013, 06:58:03 PM »