Author Topic: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)  (Read 96084 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2011, 08:44:08 AM »
In case you didn't already know this: one way to get around the NY Times' 20-article limit for free on-line reading is... once you've reached your monthly limit (as I just did), Google the article in question and access it thru the Google link -- apparently articles accessed that way aren't counted. (Whether that's on purpose or if the NYT screwed up and just hasn't figured it out yet is unclear)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2011, 10:23:09 AM »
In case you didn't already know this: one way to get around the NY Times' 20-article limit for free on-line reading is... once you've reached your monthly limit (as I just did), Google the article in question and access it thru the Google link -- apparently articles accessed that way aren't counted. (Whether that's on purpose or if the NYT screwed up and just hasn't figured it out yet is unclear)

they say they were very aware of the workarounds, but ultimately are betting their target demo will pony up and do the right thing.  There's also a little javascript thing you can bookmark on your browser which will remove the nytimes cookie and zero out your monthly quota total.   
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2011, 07:55:22 AM »

they say they were very aware of the workarounds, but ultimately are betting their target demo will pony up and do the right thing.  There's also a little javascript thing you can bookmark on your browser which will remove the nytimes cookie and zero out your monthly quota total.   

another thing is that NYT articles are repurposed by CNBC, MSNBC, etc etc, so when you google the article, often a CNBC or other version will come up.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
Article: Half of Bay Area newspaper jobs gone in last decade (the times they are a changin')
http://sfpublicpress.org/news/2011-05/half-of-bay-area-newspaper-jobs-gone-in-last-decade

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »
Question for TC about the Chron/SFGate: whatever happened to "Betting Fool"? I read his column regularly for a while; just happened to think of him today and realized he's not on the website any more.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »
Question for TC about the Chron/SFGate: whatever happened to "Betting Fool"? I read his column regularly for a while; just happened to think of him today and realized he's not on the website any more.

I think he's been gone for a couple of years.  Probably a victim of the economy/death of print media, even though he was mostly a sfgate guy.  But that is just a guess.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »

I think he's been gone for a couple of years.  Probably a victim of the economy/death of print media, even though he was mostly a sfgate guy.  But that is just a guess.

yes, he was the victim of staffing changes.   Not sure what he's up to now.  (He's a huge BÖC fan, btw, and I attended a couples shows at Slim's with him.)
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2011, 09:03:15 AM »

yes, he was the victim of staffing changes.   Not sure what he's up to now.  (He's a huge BÖC fan, btw, and I attended a couples shows at Slim's with him.)

I think he's a member of one of the golf clubs I belong to as well (Alameda Men's Club), though I have not yet met him.  In one of his columns he revealed that his golf balls are marked (preprinted) BOC.  The funny thing is that I have for 15 or 20 years marked my golf balls with the BOC hooked cross.  I think I have a small version -- I'll change my avatar.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2011, 09:12:36 AM »

I think he's a member of one of the golf clubs I belong to as well (Alameda Men's Club), though I have not yet met him.  In one of his columns he revealed that his golf balls are marked (preprinted) BOC.  The funny thing is that I have for 15 or 20 years marked my golf balls with the BOC hooked cross.  I think I have a small version -- I'll change my avatar.

yes, I remember that..!  (nice icon)   BOS plays with Foghat this weekend at the Sonoma-Marin Fair.  Maybe the fool will be there...
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2011, 09:20:58 AM »

I think he's been gone for a couple of years.  Probably a victim of the economy/death of print media, even though he was mostly a sfgate guy.  But that is just a guess.

yes, he was the victim of staffing changes.   Not sure what he's up to now.  (He's a huge BÖC fan, btw, and I attended a couples shows at Slim's with him.)

I think he's a member of one of the golf clubs I belong to as well (Alameda Men's Club), though I have not yet met him.  In one of his columns he revealed that his golf balls are marked (preprinted) BOC.  The funny thing is that I have for 15 or 20 years marked my golf balls with the BOC hooked cross.  I think I have a small version -- I'll change my avatar.

yes, I remember that..!  (nice icon)   BOS plays with Foghat this weekend at the Sonoma-Marin Fair.  Maybe the fool will be there...

Me and a couple of buddy's are probably going for Foghat friday.  I don't think I've ever seen them, though I've seen BOC several times.  I'm not that big a BOC fan, really, but I like the symbol.  For years I wore a pewter version on a chain that I bought at the Cow Palace at a late 70's show.  My dad hated it!   ;D
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2011, 03:17:57 PM »
Jeezus H Christ -- SFGate does a feature with pics of "colorful" Giants fans and they caption this one as "a red-headed fan..."? It's ORANGE, you numbskulls. Sheesh.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/g/a/2011/09/26/giants_fans_at_at_t_park.DTL&object=%2Fc%2Fpictures%2F2011%2F09%2F26%2Fba-GiantsFans27_0504240090.jpg

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2011, 03:52:30 PM »
Jeezus H Christ -- SFGate does a feature with pics of "colorful" Giants fans and they caption this one as "a red-headed fan..."? It's ORANGE, you numbskulls. Sheesh.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/g/a/2011/09/26/giants_fans_at_at_t_park.DTL&object=%2Fc%2Fpictures%2F2011%2F09%2F26%2Fba-GiantsFans27_0504240090.jpg

yikes, embarrassing. 

thanks, Mike: I changed it.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2011, 08:13:09 PM »

yikes, embarrassing. 

thanks, Mike: I changed it.

Bless you, my son!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »
Question for Tinka: Who the (bleep) is Leba Hertz? (Is she married to Dick Hertz?). I've never seen her by-line in the Chron before, but there she is today, reviewing Nick Broomfield's new Palin docu. (Because Mick, Amy and Hartlaub were all busy?) They call her "Chronicle Staff Writer" but she's NTM.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/30/DD731LAPNH.DTL