Author Topic: Music & Advertising: 'interesting' combinations  (Read 230963 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music & Advertising: 'interesting' combinations
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2008, 08:30:09 PM »
a song from the new Coldplay CD (not "Violet Hill"; I'm guessing the song is called "When I Ruled the World"?) is flogging iPods... and it's the best U2 imitation I've ever heard.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2008, 09:59:19 PM »
a song from the new Coldplay CD (not "Violet Hill"; I'm guessing the song is called "When I Ruled the World"?) is flogging iPods... and it's the best U2 imitation I've ever heard.
I've always thought Coldplay sounded like U2 without the soul.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »
Though I haven't heard it, I assume you're talking about "Viva la Vida" - and it's up to #3 on the Billboard singles chart this week, their biggest hit to date.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2008, 06:14:56 PM »
Though I haven't heard it, I assume you're talking about "Viva la Vida" - and it's up to #3 on the Billboard singles chart this week, their biggest hit to date.

indeed. KFOG has it in rotation now. One for the "songs that don't include the title in the lyrics" list, yes?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »
I was pretty floored about the men's hair coloring product called "Touch of Gray."  They were using the instrumental guitar riffs from "Sunshine of Your Love."  Sheesh!

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2008, 08:30:32 PM »
I was pretty floored about the men's hair coloring product called "Touch of Gray."  They were using the instrumental guitar riffs from "Sunshine of Your Love."  Sheesh!

and speaking of sunshine, some financial-planning company is using "Let the Sunshine In".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2008, 10:34:07 AM »
Here's a weird one: Scandal's semi-hit "Goodbye to You" is being used to sell a birth-control product called YAZ. (I guess Yaz weren't willing to license their songs).   

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2008, 08:15:37 PM »
Marvin Gaye's sexy take on the "Star-Spangled Banner" is being used in a Nike/US Olympic Basketball Team spot.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »
Oh. My. GAWD... a cover of Morrissey's "Every Day is Like Sunday" is being used by the NFL to flog their mobile and internet incarnations.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2008, 07:18:59 PM »
The Fixx's "Saved by Zero" is being used by Toyota to promote 0% financing.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2008, 03:58:15 AM »

That's funny - I've been waiting for that product! But I always imagined they would use the Dead song.

So does it add grey to your hair? Or remove what little you have? And if you have a lot?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2008, 09:05:14 AM »

That's funny - I've been waiting for that product! But I always imagined they would use the Dead song.

So does it add grey to your hair? Or remove what little you have? And if you have a lot?

Basically, it strikes a middle balance so older men don't look like Marv Albert.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2008, 09:17:34 AM »

Basically, it strikes a middle balance so older men don't look like Marv Albert.

"More power!" Maybe Biden should consider using it. He looked awfully orange the other day.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2008, 08:44:44 PM »
The Fixx's "Saved by Zero" is being used by Toyota to promote 0% financing.

Another car ad: the Mercury Milan is using Morey fave, Tones on Tail's "Go" (aka "the ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya song").  And why is the instrumental intro to 3DN's "Shambala" (but not the vocal) currently being used to flog at least 3 different products?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
And why is the instrumental intro to 3DN's "Shambala" (but not the vocal) currently being used to flog at least 3 different products?

Because whoever owns the publishing is selling it cheap? It couldn't have passed into public domain yet, could it?
Let's get right to it.