Author Topic: KFOG A-to-Z 2012  (Read 24980 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KFOG A-to-Z 2012
« on: May 12, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »
Figured we'd give this it's own thread. If it's really gonna last 'til Memorial Day, that would make it one of the longest (if not THE longest) A-to-Z ever. Will it be loaded with clues as to a possible flip to a new format, or will it be the hail-and-farewell of the current one? Will 10@10 be pre-empted this time? Will it be voice-tracked in the morning? (I can't ever remember an A-to-Z that didn't have a Morning crew talking about it, but with no Webster it seems that might be the way they'll go.) Inquiring minds wanna know.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG A-to-Z 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
So far so... standard.  A-to-Z kicked off with Genesis' "Abacab" and the first hour included the Beatles (Across the Universe), Costello (Accidents Will Happen) and TWO versions of Crapton's "After Midnight". Your usual usual, judged against past A-to-Z's.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:24:27 AM »
I wish they'd post an index somewhere.  The tunegenie is kaput. 

I tuned away and just tuned back to hear the end of The Cars' All Mixed Up.  Kudos for that.

First appearance of the Foo Fighters?  All My Life sounded like Live 105 for Tweens.

Uh, Greg, that story about being in a men's room and seeing Ric Ocasek doesm't officially count as "meeting" him.   Unless it was after a wide stance foot tap.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:38:03 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:31:31 AM »

I tuned away and just tuned back to hear the end of The Cars' All Mixed Up.  Kudos for that.
Playing some weird stuff that they've never played before, Counting Crows and Foo Fighters. Guess it's not weird, just no way these songs are (or ever were) in the playlist.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »

Playing some weird stuff that they've never played before, Counting Crows and Foo Fighters. Guess it's not weird, just no way these songs are (or ever were) in the playlist.

can you give song titles? 'cause they play C-Crows and F-Fighters all the time.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »

Sure, CC "All My Friends" and FF "All My Life". The playlist on their website is working.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »
I'm guessing the Greg Gory is just filling in until the new and exciting morning show is rolled out. He blander than bland, but maybe that's what they're going for...

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »

Sure, CC "All My Friends" and FF "All My Life". The playlist on their website is working.

The playlist (aka Tunegenie) was down earlier.   Glad it's back.

http://kfog.tunegenie.com/
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:02:24 AM »

that was apparently a TuneGenie issue rather than a KFOG problem -- The Peak's was also not working earlier.

And Gory solo has indeed been less than stellar. But he seems to be more upbeat than previously and I think THAT is what they want in the morning. 

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »

that was apparently a TuneGenie issue rather than a KFOG problem -- The Peak's was also not working earlier.

And Gory solo has indeed been less than stellar. But he seems to be more upbeat than previously and I think THAT is what they want in the morning.

I like the sound of Gory's voice, but if he lets loose with some of his own "personality," that could change.  Who knows?
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »

I like the sound of Gory's voice, but if he lets loose with some of his own "personality," that could change.  Who knows?

During the 'news' segment at about 6:05 he chimed in with his own commentary at least 3x. I don't necessarily mind a little conversation, but he seemed a bit unprofessional in the doing.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »

During the 'news' segment at about 6:05 he chimed in with his own commentary at least 3x. I don't necessarily mind a little conversation, but he seemed a bit unprofessional in the doing.

I admit I was still sleeping at that time.  It might've sounded unprofessional because he does sound rather professional usually.  was it his content?  Broadcast standard pronunciation, nice baritone -- doesn't flub words.  He's a good second (or third) banana, I suppose, but he's not meant to carry all the weight of a wacky morning zoo show, or whatever The Mourning After will offer -- at least I hope not.
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »
what's wrong with A-Z? I've got it on in the classroom, and the kids instantly know it's 311!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 12:45:17 PM »
Angry Johnny = Happy David

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »
Right now, Clapton's "Bad Love," which we don't hear enough on 10 @ 10.  One of the great later era Clapton records.  The guitar solos are sweet.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing