Author Topic: 8 July 2010: It's...1965  (Read 13498 times)

Rastermon

• The Core
  • Three Bits
    • View Profile
    • Rastermon Graphic Design
Re: 8 July 2010: It's...1965
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 10:34:17 AM »
That was an awesome set - and just as I tried to save - it - browser crash!
Did any one get an mp3?
There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »
BOS "Eve of Destruction."  I'm trying to think of the latest overtly political song to chart Top 10, and unless you count M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" (which I don't), I'm drawing a blank.

You're not counting "War"?

Too many choices for BOS, but I'll defer to "I Want Candy".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 10:39:51 AM »
BOS "Eve of Destruction."  I'm trying to think of the latest overtly political song to chart Top 10, and unless you count M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" (which I don't), I'm drawing a blank.

I didn't mean to imply that "Eve of Destruction" was the last.  I just can't think of any from the '00s offhand.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 10:44:12 AM »
BOS: Go Where You Wanna Go.  The Mamas and the Papas had such great songs, even though Papa John turned out to be a whack-job.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »

I didn't mean to imply that "Eve of Destruction" was the last.  I just can't think of any from the '00s offhand.
Okie… yeah, I think the 2000’s were pretty dark in that category, for some obvious reasons. Now you got me thinking as to what the last large politica-hit would be.
afsdafdsfaf

Ok

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 12:36:52 PM »
AL notes on FB that several songs that she wanted to play today were missing ("plundered from the KFOG library") so she had to improvise a bit. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 01:07:19 PM »
7/8/10- Thursday!! Double back to the fantastic sounds of 1965!!
 1. Beatles- Help!
 2. The Mamas & The Papas- Go Where You Wanna Go
 3. The Vejtables- I Still Love You
 4.  Beau Brummels- Just A Little
 5.  Rolling Stones- Heart Of Stone/ Get Off My Cloud (2 for 1 special)
(News: Vietnam/ LBJ-This is really war)
 6.  Barry McGuire- Eve of Destruction (BOS-tie!!)
 7.  Bob Dylan- Highway 61 Revisited
(Ad: Pontiac GTO)
 8.  Roger Miller- King Of The Road (BOS-tie!!)
 9.  Strangeloves- I Want Candy
10. Roy Head- Treat Her Right

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »
More from The Vejtables, from the Bay Area, their drummer was female, rare for the time. 
"Mansion of Tears"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeOGiw3LtGE
"I Stole the Goodyear Blimp"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXoxlPVBOOk
Another tune, "Feel the Music" is a more bluesy, garage-band sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHGuaTLr0Oc

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 01:47:05 PM »

Okie… yeah, I think the 2000’s were pretty dark in that category, for some obvious reasons. Now you got me thinking as to what the last large politica-hit would be.
afsdafdsfaf

Ok

You’ve got me thinking about this…. Although it may be sacrilegious to think of Fergie singing about anything important, wouldn’t the Black Eyed Peas’ “Where Is The Love” at least loosely be considered political?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »

afsdafdsfaf

Ok

You’ve got me thinking about this…. Although it may be sacrilegious to think of Fergie singing about anything important, wouldn’t the Black Eyed Peas’ “Where Is The Love” at least loosely be considered political?

Oh, and that one song of theirs:  Lady humps = boobs = Bush and Cheney.  Very political.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 04:31:50 PM »

afsdafdsfaf

Ok

Oh, and that one song of theirs:  Lady humps = boobs = Bush and Cheney.  Very political.

How about PiL's Don't Ask Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHKn_gk8WV8
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 06:44:11 PM »
How about PiL's Don't Ask Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHKn_gk8WV8

great song, but it didn't get anywhere near the Top Ten, which is what Gaz was asking.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2010, 07:37:20 PM »

afsdafdsfaf

Ok

I'll give you that one; I'd forgotten it, but yeah, there are some provocative lines in there.  (And it was before Fergie joined, I'm happy to report.)  Good call.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 10:58:18 PM »
More from The Vejtables, from the Bay Area, their drummer was female, rare for the time. 
"Mansion of Tears"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeOGiw3LtGE
"I Stole the Goodyear Blimp"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXoxlPVBOOk
Another tune, "Feel the Music" is a more bluesy, garage-band sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHGuaTLr0Oc
Jan, the drummer/singer, eventually joined the Mojo Men, who had a local hit of "Sit Down I Think I Love You."  Was this heard anywhere else?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 10:21:57 PM »

afsdafdsfaf

Ok

Were any of the songs off American Idiot popular enough to be considered hits?
Let's get right to it.