Author Topic: 25 January 2008--it's 1972  (Read 15352 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 25 January 2008--it's 1972
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »

That was a pretty representatitve 72 set for me.

Meanwhile, here's a strange item in the news:
16 year-old might have planned to crash into Hannah Montana concert.

A 16 year-old boy has been arrested, foiling his plans to hijack a commercial jet-liner and commit suicide, according to what an FBI spokesman told CNN on Thursday.

The teen was arrested in a Nashville, Tennessee airport after flying out from Los Angeles, California on Tuesday. It appears the boy was planning on hijacking a plane going to Louisiana, where authorities believe he once lived.

According to two CNN affiliates the boy was planning on crashing the plane into a Hannah Montana concert being held in Lafayette, Louisiana being held tonight at the Lafayette Cajundome. FBI spokesman, George Bolds, does not know if the concert was the target or part of the boy’s plot.

The teen had handcuffs, duct tape, and some kind of rope or yarn in his possession, which he planned on using to overpower the crew on his flight to Louisiana. How the police became aware of the teen’s alleged plan is not known.

He is being held in a juvenile detention center in Davidson County and may face charges of felony terrorism.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 10:46:26 AM »
Uriah Heep!!  Yes, avatar is just for "all you 10@10 young dudes"
in my guitar biz, Ken Hensley was an AR guy for Ampeg, and I later found out he was in Uriah Heep!  A group I only have creepy memories of on some late night rock show on TV.

Btw, Geoff, I just realized we don't have a link to the glossary page on our new forum--must have left it at the old one. Can we squeeze one onto the current page someplace? With all these new folks dropping in, it might be needed!
what is the link?  Senility is a bitch!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2008, 10:46:41 AM »
xpost

Duly filed under "Raising Arizona, Feeling Minnesota, Crashing Montana."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2008, 10:47:33 AM »
BOS3 and Proxy of Gaz I believe, for the Handbags and the Gladrags that your poor old granddad had to sweat to buy...

One of the saddest songs ever, to my ears, especially that closing.  But BOS to "992 Arguments," which I've heard maybe twice in my life.  Missed a few interesting nuggets from Dave this week; will have to toggle between tomorrow's replay and the KFRC Kasey Kountdown.

If casey does Jan '77 you might get to hear "Boogie Child" again.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »
The Thing With 2 Heads!!!!   OMFG!!

And for 10 frink points -- what radio great co-starred with Ray Milland and Rosey Grier in that, er, classic?

I have no idea, so I'll guess Wolfman Jack.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2008, 10:49:38 AM »
xpost

Duly filed under "Raising Arizona, Feeling Minnesota, Crashing Montana."

Well, I dunno, the world could certainly use less Cyruses, IMHO ;) 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »

And for 10 frink points -- what radio great co-starred with Ray Milland and Rosey Grier in that, er, classic?

TANC: The answer is... Casey Kasem!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008, 11:27:16 AM »
in my guitar biz, Ken Hensley was an AR guy for Ampeg, and I later found out he was in Uriah Heep!  A group I only have creepy memories of on some late night rock show on TV.

Btw, Geoff, I just realized we don't have a link to the glossary page on our new forum--must have left it at the old one. Can we squeeze one onto the current page someplace? With all these new folks dropping in, it might be needed!

Got me, man. I looked on the links page and it's not there either. Anyone of you other board regulars have that bookmarked? Princess?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2008, 11:46:02 AM »

Got me, man. I looked on the links page and it's not there either. Anyone of you other board regulars have that bookmarked? Princess?

Er... it's the first entry in (surprise) the "10@10Glossary" thread under Stream of Consciousness...

http://www.10at10club.com/poc/glossary.html

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2008, 12:41:28 PM »

Er... it's the first entry in (surprise) the "10@10Glossary" thread under Stream of Consciousness...

http://www.10at10club.com/poc/glossary.html

Shite! Totally forgot about that! This is what getting up before 6am does to me. (At least, that's my excuse for today.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2008, 12:47:21 PM »

TANC: The answer is... Casey Kasem!

oops... my bad. I got The Thing With 2 Heads confused with 1971's similar The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant. Casey's in the latter (with Bruce Dern). Two 2-headed horror movies within a year -- who'd'a thunk it?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2008, 05:50:47 PM »
Apropos of nothing to do with this set, but it's time for me to go home and it's *still* effing raining outside--I swear it has not stopped dumping all goddamn day. Another day or two of this and we're going to see some serious landslides and such--and let's not even think about the folks along the Russian River.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2008, 06:38:48 PM »
Apropos of nothing to do with this set, but it's time for me to go home and it's *still* effing raining outside--I swear it has not stopped dumping all goddamn day. Another day or two of this and we're going to see some serious landslides and such--and let's not even think about the folks along the Russian River.
I work in the center of the school, with no windows, and don't know much during the day, but I heard rain pelting on the ductwork connected to the fume hood today, and thought that a bit unusual!  Definitely a wet one!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »
01/25/2008 - FRIDAY!!! A ten tune visit to...1972!!!

1.  David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust   
2.  Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes   
3.  Uriah Heap - Easy Livin'   
4.  Mark Almond - The City (BEST OF SET!!)   
5.  The O'Jays - 992 Arguments   
6.  Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water   
7.  Leon Russell - Tightrope   
8.  Hollies - Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress   
9.  Al Green - Love & Happiness   
10.  Rod Stewart - Handbags & Gladrags
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2008, 10:09:11 PM »
well-hung and snow-white tan. Wha?

Dave's def. getting his glam on early--wonder if we'll have any other contributions from any of Bowie's compatriots?

And no sooner said than done--it's the Dooods!

I need TV, but I got T Rex!

YOU. WILL. NOT. BELIEVE. THIS.

I just got home about 15 minutes ago.  Launched the player while checking out some emails.  One of the notes: My brother's updated his MySpace page.  I haven't checked it out in a while.  So I pop by, and see he's gotten a lot of posted messages since the New Year.  I scroll down.

And Just. As. This. Song. starts, I get to this post:

Jamason ( Jan 9 2008 12:14 AM ) : I need TV when i got........T.REX....

Wow.