Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443380 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the Jeffersons
« Reply #420 on: February 07, 2007, 03:56:42 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Rod"
Jefferson Starship is playing Justin Herman Plaza at noon today, for free!  Paid for by Microsoft Vista and some mobile service.
We built this system
We built this system for Windows geeks...

"The band features a stellar cast of old and new players, including Jefferson Airplane founder PAUL KANTNER, Quicksilver Messenger Service founder DAVID FREIBERG, The Tubes co-founder PRAIRIE PRINCE, David Crosby guitarist SLICK AGUILAR, The Supremes’ keyboardist CHRIS SMITH, and the sensational DIANA MANGANO reprising the repertpire of the legendary GRACE SLICK who retired in 1989"
I saw a promo for this in the paper last week, but the pic they ran with it was of Mickey Thomas and the Starship. Easy to confuse the two I guess, but in SF they really should know better.
So who's going?  I wonder if I could get there if I left right now?
Wish I could but I have a lunch appt at noon, so I'm going to have to miss it. Hoping the rain doesn't start--somehow I can't picture Kantner rocking it out in the rain a la Mr. Nelson on Sunday.

I had an execrable day in the bowels of the educational system today (High School Exit Exams) and would have liked nothing better than to be at this gig, even if Paul is shilling for the evil empire!  :lol:  :lol:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #421 on: February 11, 2007, 11:48:41 AM »
OMG! Petula Clark is perforing this Sat nite at the Herbst Theater in SF.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/11/PKG2ONTBV81.DTL

I may have to check this out -- she's 74, who knows when/if she'll be back.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #422 on: February 16, 2007, 11:28:07 AM »
OMG! Petula Clark is perforing this Sat nite at the Herbst Theater in SF.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/11/PKG2ONTBV81.DTL

I may have to check this out -- she's 74, who knows when/if she'll be back.

I just bought the very LAST ticket (rear balcony).  Full report Sat nite or Sun morning.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #423 on: February 18, 2007, 12:01:42 PM »
Well Ms Clark IS 74, so her voice isn't quite what it used to be, but she's not bad. She hit most of the high notes, fudged some others and at other points she lacked sheer force of lungpower.  The 9-piece band overpowered her at times.  (On the way home I tried picturing Ronstadt at 74 attempting "You're no Good" or Stevie Nicks doing "Edge of 17".) Her best moments were more intimate ones, including Petula alone at the piano doing an apparently not-planned "I Want To Hold Your hand" as a ballad.

The show was billed as "All the Hits" and she did indeed do every major US single. She opened with "Who Am I?", maybe my fave of her lesser-played songs. (Tony Hatch: underappreciated genius.)  She even did "You're the One", which I'd forgotten was originally hers, an LP track that the Vogues covered and took into the Top Ten. She also did several impressive self-penned new tunes, a few Sondheim songs ("Am I Losing My Mind?", I think it's called, from Follies), and her stage "hits": a song from BloodBrothers, which she did on B'way (and which I saw in London with Kiki Dee [!] -- one of the most godawful musicals, like, ever); one from Sunset Blvd; another from Finians Rainbow. She told a few stories, made fun of Andrew Lloyd Webber (well, who hasn't?), and read a poem.  In all, a very pleasant 2-1/2 hours --an hour, a 25 min intermission, and then another hour. And the audience showed her much much love.  Interesting mix, a lot of straight couples in their 60s, and many many queens.

FYI, the same producers are bringing Connie Francis to the Castro Theater in 2 weeks with a 21-piece Orch.  I think I'll pass on that one, but if Miss Francis is smart, she'll do a cover of ABBA's "I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do"...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #424 on: February 21, 2007, 08:54:29 AM »
so, kids... who's buying Police tix on Sunday? (The show is Wed June 13th @ McAfee Coliseum.)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #425 on: February 21, 2007, 09:45:16 AM »
so, kids... who's buying Police tix on Sunday? (The show is Wed June 13th @ McAfee Coliseum.)

At those prices? Not me. I'll be fine with my memories of seeing them in an extremely echoey 1,500 seat hall in Davis in 1979, thank you.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #426 on: February 21, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »

At those prices? Not me. I'll be fine with my memories of seeing them in an extremely echoey 1,500 seat hall in Davis in 1979, thank you.

In case you were hoping the Van Halen reunion might be less pricey, well -- it's been postponed indefinitely:

http://www.livedaily.com/news/Planned_Van_Halen_tour_hits_roadblock-11550.html?t=98

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #427 on: February 21, 2007, 02:02:26 PM »

In case you were hoping the Van Halen reunion might be less pricey, well -- it's been postponed indefinitely:

http://www.livedaily.com/news/Planned_Van_Halen_tour_hits_roadblock-11550.html?t=98

Sounds as though there will be plenty of other reformed bands to take up the slack. Besides Genesis (the post-Gabriel version, one assumes) and the Police, I'm hearing that the Jesus and Mary Chain and Crowded House will also be returning to action this summer.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #428 on: February 21, 2007, 02:07:04 PM »
Crowded House will also be returning to action this summer.

it's the "Don't Dream -- It's STILL NOT OVER" Tour!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #429 on: February 22, 2007, 12:15:23 AM »

Can't cough up $$ for Police.
This Saturday I am headed to Oakland for Seger and looking forward to it in a mighty way. Haven't been to a show in a while and have never seen Seger.

Also succumbed to a less expensive Fall Out Boy ticket in Concord, early May.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #430 on: February 22, 2007, 07:05:38 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

This Saturday I am headed to Oakland for Seger and looking forward to it in a mighty way. Haven't been to a show in a while and have never seen Seger.

A Voice contributor reviewed one of Seger's shows and was majorly impressed:

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0705,freeman,75665,22.html
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #431 on: February 26, 2007, 10:29:55 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "Alicat"

A Voice contributor reviewed one of Seger's shows and was majorly impressed:

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0705,freeman,75665,22.html

I had a great time at the show. Bob's voice was very good, at least IMHO. Very geriatric crowd. Maybe 5% of people younger than me. His age showed in his inability to physically groove to the beat although he did it vocally. Did he ever move well? Horns were incredible. Solo and together. It felt good to gaze about at one point and see the ENTIRE crowd waving arms in the air.

Steve Azar who opened had some good riffs but I had club access and the bar had a stronger pull on me than Azar. Made lots of new friends and fun was had by all.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2007, 10:41:49 AM »
Noise Pop coming up for all y'alls in the Bay:
http://www.noisepop.com/2007/

Wish I could be at either that or SXSW this week.  Instead I'm trying to keep an unstable paper together.  Good times.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #433 on: March 14, 2007, 11:11:57 AM »

Wish I could be at either that or SXSW this week.  Instead I'm trying to keep an unstable paper together.  Good times.

Actually NoisePop SF was last month (that's where I saw the Nilsson docu). March 16th is when "NoisePop invades Austin"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #434 on: March 14, 2007, 11:24:59 AM »

Actually NoisePop SF was last month (that's where I saw the Nilsson docu). March 16th is when "NoisePop invades Austin"

Oh fudge, misread on my part.  Thanks, fact-checking cuz'!