Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443365 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #405 on: November 11, 2006, 11:02:26 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
PHENOMENAL pics!!!

it's true -- leopards can't change their spots.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #406 on: November 20, 2006, 03:36:53 PM »
Saw the reformed and unbelievably funky Meters at the Fillmore Saturday night--man, I had forgotten how good those guys could be. And they seemed to be having a really good time playing together, so it didn't come off like something they did just for the paycheck, as it did when they played the Warfield about 4 years or so ago. (But that show flat out WAS for the paycheck--some guy laid out a million bucks to get them to play together one more time. They've since decided maybe playing as a group wasn't such a bad thing after all.)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #407 on: November 27, 2006, 07:17:24 AM »
I'm writing a preview of this for the Voice right now.  Don't often get Garland Jeffreys, Michelle Shocked, and Aztec Two-Step in the same place:

http://www.joeraiola.com/pages/theatre-within/lennon-page/Lennon-pr.htm
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #408 on: December 18, 2006, 08:04:11 AM »
The princess will be interested to hear that Ted Neely is touring in JC Superstar (never mind that he's, er, 30 years too old for the part).  He'll be in SF starting this week. And appearing opposite him as Judas: Corey Glover of Living Colour.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #409 on: December 18, 2006, 11:36:10 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
The princess will be interested to hear that Ted Neely is touring in JC Superstar (never mind that he's, er, 30 years too old for the part).  He'll be in SF starting this week. And appearing opposite him as Judas: Corey Glover of Living Colour.

aaaaahhhhh!!! wow! wish i could be there. corey glover - what a great choice!!! aaaahhh!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #410 on: January 15, 2007, 08:30:14 PM »
The Red Devil Lounge, where we saw the princess sing '80s covers a few years ago, is booking some interesting names lately. in the next few weeks:

Howard Jones
Blasters
Smithereens
Gene Loves Jezebel

and (somebody tell Beej!) Sir Mix-a-Lot!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #411 on: January 16, 2007, 02:27:32 AM »
The Red Devil Lounge, where we saw the princess sing '80s covers a few years ago, is booking some interesting names lately. in the next few weeks:

Howard Jones
Blasters
Smithereens
Gene Loves Jezebel

and (somebody tell Beej!) Sir Mix-a-Lot!

yeah, they started booking some big names a couple of years ago. i don't know why anyonw would WANT to play there, though, unless they've removed that big cement pole from in front of the stage.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #412 on: February 02, 2007, 11:51:54 AM »
now HERE'S a once-in-a-lifetime lineup (literally, they're calling it that): at London's Wembley Arena in April, David Essex/The Osmonds/David Cassidy/Showaddywaddy!

http://www.stargreen.com/events?artist=ONCE_IN_A_LIFETIME_TOUR%2C_DAVID_ESSEX__THE_OSMONDS_DAVID_CASSIDY_SHOWADDYWADDY

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #413 on: February 07, 2007, 09:37:52 AM »
Jefferson Starship is playing Justin Herman Plaza at noon today, for free!  Paid for by Microsoft Vista and some mobile service.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #414 on: February 07, 2007, 09:53:11 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Jefferson Starship is playing Justin Herman Plaza at noon today, for free!  Paid for by Microsoft Vista and some mobile service.

We built this system
We built this system for Windows geeks...

"The band features a stellar cast of old and new players, including Jefferson Airplane founder PAUL KANTNER, Quicksilver Messenger Service founder DAVID FREIBERG, The Tubes co-founder PRAIRIE PRINCE, David Crosby guitarist SLICK AGUILAR, The Supremes’ keyboardist CHRIS SMITH, and the sensational DIANA MANGANO reprising the repertpire of the legendary GRACE SLICK who retired in 1989"

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #415 on: February 07, 2007, 09:58:18 AM »

We built this system

"The band features a stellar cast of old and new players, including Jefferson Airplane founder PAUL KANTNER, Quicksilver Messenger Service founder DAVID FREIBERG, The Tubes co-founder PRAIRIE PRINCE, David Crosby guitarist SLICK AGUILAR, The Supremes’ keyboardist CHRIS SMITH, and the sensational DIANA MANGANO reprising the repertpire of the legendary GRACE SLICK who retired in 1989"

I saw a promo for this in the paper last week, but the pic they ran with it was of Mickey Thomas and the Starship. Easy to confuse the two I guess, but in SF they really should know better.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #416 on: February 07, 2007, 11:04:26 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

We built this system

I saw a promo for this in the paper last week, but the pic they ran with it was of Mickey Thomas and the Starship. Easy to confuse the two I guess, but in SF they really should know better.

So who's going?  I wonder if I could get there if I left right now?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #417 on: February 07, 2007, 11:16:59 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

We built this system

I'm not sure what convinced (or compelled) them to shill for M$ Vista, but I do hope someone tapes some of this . . .
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #418 on: February 07, 2007, 11:42:05 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

We built this system

Wish I could but I have a lunch appt at noon, so I'm going to have to miss it. Hoping the rain doesn't start--somehow I can't picture Kantner rocking it out in the rain a la Mr. Nelson on Sunday.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #419 on: February 07, 2007, 12:33:35 PM »
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! Ozzfest is like totally f---in' FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!

In case you missed the story:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/02/ozzfest_is_free.html