Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443339 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #375 on: September 19, 2006, 10:44:31 PM »
I'm a sucka for the boys. Joe Perry, Tyler too and the Crue coming to town. Must be there.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #376 on: October 02, 2006, 10:03:21 AM »
I lost my mind and drove to Concord last night for Rob Zombie and Godsmack.
GREAT show. I'm a tad hearing impaired today. It was GA and I was 6 deep center and there was no getting out. Insane people still moshing. They gotta get hurt doing that.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #377 on: October 02, 2006, 10:22:57 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
GREAT show. I'm a tad hearing impaired today. It was GA and I was 6 deep center and there was no getting out. Insane people still moshing. They gotta get hurt doing that.

Were you the oldest person there? :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #378 on: October 02, 2006, 11:07:08 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

No, Rob Zombie was.

Alicat, kudos on maintaining your youth and not being "too old for that."   8)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #379 on: October 02, 2006, 08:03:01 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

No, Rob Zombie was.

Alicat, kudos on maintaining your youth and not being "too old for that."   8)

Thank you. There were many older than I. Rob was a little grizzled and raspy. Ghoulish/satanic video stuff going on. I stayed a bit back for that and moved up between sets.

Godsmack lightly covered AC/DC and Black Sabbath which was cool. Sully kicked ass on drums.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #380 on: October 03, 2006, 11:42:36 AM »
Godsmack lightly covered AC/DC and Black Sabbath which was cool. Sully kicked ass on drums.

Lamont & Tonelli's sidekick plays drums???

Meanwhile, John Mayer gets no respect from Aidan Vaiziri. Anyone surprised?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/03/DDGQFLFTPB1.DTL

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #381 on: October 03, 2006, 08:15:24 PM »

And sings too.
http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/1999/godsmack_int.asp
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #382 on: October 03, 2006, 08:43:06 PM »

And sings too.
http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/1999/godsmack_int.asp

er, OK, that's not him.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #383 on: October 05, 2006, 04:14:15 PM »
My weekend "barely bluegrass" marathon starts tonight with Billy Bragg at the music hall. Double header tomorrow with EC & friends in the park (sorry you won't make it, Mike, but big props for showing up for your team--you too, Alicat) and then T-Bone Burnett and god knows who tomorry night, again at the Music Hall. Then a huge smorgasbord in the park all weekend--hope the forecasts of nice weather hold true. And I hope the goddamn Blue Angels stay the f*** away.

Details here if anyone takes a mind to check it out:

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #384 on: October 05, 2006, 04:27:44 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
My weekend "barely bluegrass" marathon starts tonight with Billy Bragg at the music hall. Double header tomorrow with EC & friends in the park (sorry you won't make it, Mike, but big props for showing up for your team--you too, Alicat) and then T-Bone Burnett and god knows who tomorry night, again at the Music Hall. Then a huge smorgasbord in the park all weekend--hope the forecasts of nice weather hold true. And I hope the goddamn Blue Angels stay the f*** away.

Details here if anyone takes a mind to check it out:

http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/

I'm sorry to be missing EC, tho' with this cold I guess a few hours in the Oaktown sun is better than sitting in wet grass all afternoon.  I'd've def gone to Billy Bragg at GAMH if I weren't going to SJ for the Sharks tonite. We expect a full report!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #385 on: October 05, 2006, 04:38:18 PM »
I'd've def gone to Billy Bragg at GAMH if I weren't going to SJ for the Sharks tonite. We expect a full report!

If the game's over early enough you still can. The late show (the one I'm going to) isn't sold out, and it's not supposed to start til 10:30, but I'm guessing later. But if you're still fighting that cold, I guess that might be a lot to cram into one evening.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #386 on: October 07, 2006, 12:00:06 PM »
Quick Tom Petty revue (last Sat at the Greek).  I was sick as a dog with a nasty cold, but damned glad I was there.

Big ol' lovefest, Tom's fan's are adoring.  And he thrives on it.  A few too many sing-a-longs for my taste, and a couple of his more pedestrian hits dragged (though they were almost always saved by the big finish, Mike Campbell's guitar and a wall of sound).

The Heartbreakers are a terrific band, always 3 guitars going (Tom, Mike and the other guy who Tom introduced as their human swiss army knife -- guitar, keyboards, harmonica and back-up singer (did a fine Roy Orbison imitation on the Willbury tune)), a fine piano player and the rhythm section rocked.  

Turned into a fine cover band about 45 minutes in, doing "I'm a Man" and "Oh Well" impeccably.  

Stevie came out, for "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" (kinda scary lookin', she would have done better just standing at the mike belting it out 7rather than her wierd looking gestures that worked better when she was younger).  Then they did "Don't Do Me Like That" with Stevie on vocals, which I liked much better.

The highlight of the show might have been "It's Good to Be King" off of Wildflowers.  Mike Campbell was just awesome on it, and Tom too, and it built into a truly grand finish, earned all the way.

They ended (before the encore) with my favorite Petty track, "Runnin' Down A Dream" that just tore the place down.  And, to my vast satisfaction, the last song of the night was "American Girl."  

Mighty damned fine.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
cover
« Reply #387 on: October 07, 2006, 08:56:35 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Turned into a fine cover band about 45 minutes in, doing "I'm a Man" and "Oh Well" impeccably.

Did they really kick it?  (Oh Well)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #388 on: October 08, 2006, 07:43:09 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Stevie came out, for "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" (kinda scary lookin', she would have done better just standing at the mike belting it out 7rather than her wierd looking gestures that worked better when she was younger).  Then they did "Don't Do Me Like That" with Stevie on vocals, which I liked much better.

Very cool!  But aw, no "Needles & Pins"?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #389 on: October 11, 2006, 12:43:04 AM »
I'm in heaven.... la la la la......
Roger Waters put on a great show. Took 20 minutes to get home and almost an hour and a half to get there. He did NOT start promptly at 8 as announced. I think he was stuck in traffic too.

From Shine on Your Crazy Diamond to Another Brick in the Wall to an encore of Comfortably Numb. It was a wonderful night. My seat was dead center (WOW!) in about the 8th row. Yep. Bob's birthday gift was good for me. Everyone performed well. I'm still trying to wind down.

Bridge in two weeks, Yay! Any of you going? Haven't heard yet who special guests are.
Sharks bleed teal.