Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443343 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #360 on: September 06, 2006, 09:03:28 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Here's one for the "huh?!?!?" files--Lou Reed is going to be playing Berlin in.... Redwood City?!? (Sorry, Alicat--no diss to your neck of the woods, but you gotta admit, it's kind of out of character.)

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/38208/Lou_Reed_Antony_to_Perform_Berlin_Live

C'mon down for a club field trip. I live a few miles away. I've been to some fun shows at Little Fox and only once to the Fox for David Crosby w/ CPR. Very nice venue.
The area is really growing up and revitalizing. New theater opened really recently and there's a lot of good restaurants. CalTrain also stops very close by.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #361 on: September 07, 2006, 08:52:30 AM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #362 on: September 11, 2006, 09:57:24 AM »
Bridge School tix on sale this Sunday: Neil, DMB, Pearl Jam, Brian Wilson (!) and Death Cute for Cabbies.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #363 on: September 13, 2006, 11:58:18 PM »
Excuse me kind sir, you left out Trent Reznor! I hope to be lucky enough to get seats.

The 20th Annual Bridge School Benefit Concert will be held on Saturday, October 21st at 4 pm and Sunday, October 22nd at 1 pm at the Shoreline Amphitheatre.

This year's line up includes (not necessarily in order of appearance):

Neil Young
Pearl Jam
Dave Matthews Band
Brian Wilson
Foo Fighters
Trent Reznor
Death Cab for Cutie
Gillian Welch
Devendra Banhart
plus special guests!
Tickets go on sale on Sunday, September 17th at 10 am
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #364 on: September 14, 2006, 12:29:14 AM »
Before I forget, went to see Minneapolis supergroup Golden Smog ("America's latest shitmakers") at the Fillmore last night. "Supergroup" because the band includes members of the Jayhawks (Gary Louris & Mark Perlman), Soul Asylum (Dan Murphy) and Run Westy Run (Kraig Johnson, now a J-hox sideman). And in the past, it's included members of the Replacements (Chris Mars), Big Star (Jody Stephens), Wilco (Jeff Tweedy, who's still sort of a member), but he's not touring with them), Honeydogs (Noah Levy) and others I'm spacing on--oh yeah, Dave Pirner, also of Soul Asylum.

Anyway, very fun show, if poorly attended--maybe 300 in the house total. But they played great anyway, seemed to be having a great time, and graced us with several cool covers, in addition to their own material:

Easy to Be Hard (3DN)
Backstreet Girl (Stones)
Starman (Bowie)
Dang Me (Roger Miller)

Seems to me there was one other, but it's escaping me (surprise, surprise).

Also opener Tim O'Reagan (yet another a Jayhawk, their drummer) covered Stealer's Wheel's fab Star.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #365 on: September 15, 2006, 08:49:16 AM »
Just missed Charles Aznavour in SF but he's returning to the Mountain Winery at some point:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/06/DDGGOKUB7N1.DTL

Hier encore . . .
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #366 on: September 15, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Just missed Charles Aznavour in SF but he's returning to the Mountain Winery at some point:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/06/DDGGOKUB7N1.DTL

Hier encore . . .

...j'avais quatre-vingts ans...

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2006, 10:30:32 AM »
Got Bridge tix. I'm elated. Poor seat location but seats for Saturday and Sunday. :D  :D
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2006, 11:16:31 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Before I forget, went to see Minneapolis supergroup Golden Smog ("America's latest shitmakers") at the Fillmore last night. "Supergroup" because the band includes members of the Jayhawks (Gary Louris & Mark Perlman), Soul Asylum (Dan Murphy) and Run Westy Run (Kraig Johnson, now a J-hox sideman). And in the past, it's included members of the Replacements (Chris Mars), Big Star (Jody Stephens), Wilco (Jeff Tweedy, who's still sort of a member), but he's not touring with them), Honeydogs (Noah Levy) and others I'm spacing on--oh yeah, Dave Pirner, also of Soul Asylum.

Anyway, very fun show, if poorly attended--maybe 300 in the house total. But they played great anyway, seemed to be having a great time, and graced us with several cool covers, in addition to their own material:

Easy to Be Hard (3DN)
Backstreet Girl (Stones)
Starman (Bowie)
Dang Me (Roger Miller)

Seems to me there was one other, but it's escaping me (surprise, surprise).

Also opener Tim O'Reagan (yet another a Jayhawk, their drummer) covered Stealer's Wheel's fab Star.

Alicat, cool that you got the Bridge tix, I'll look forward to the report!  And Urth, thanks for this; I got an email from the Bowery Ballroom heralding their show tonight here in NYC, wanted to go but was too fried (I worked about 70 hours this week between various gigs). Though maybe I should regret knowing what I missed.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2006, 11:18:45 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Got Bridge tix. I'm elated. Poor seat location but seats for Saturday and Sunday. :D  :D

Well done. I passed on the Bridge for yet another year, but Neil seems to be getting mostly the same groups year after year, which is true again this year. With the exception of Reznor, DCFC, & Devendra Banhart, all the other acts have played at least once before--and Pearl Jam plays every other goddamn year--enough with the Pearl Jam, I say!

I'm sure any number of those bands will be great--Brian Wilson & Gillian most def, and Reznor could be interesting too.

Anyway, I went elsewhere with my concert dollars today, & grabbed tix for one of the Yo La Tengo shows that went on sale a week ago, as well as for the Meters (with the all-original lineup), both at the Fillmore. Yeah, I bit the bullet and laid out the $$ for the latter, but I have high hopes they're gonna be great. Geoff, you ever checked out George Porter Jr.? The epitome of the funky-butt bass players. It should be a great show.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2006, 08:23:30 AM »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2006, 09:45:27 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Selvin trashes Elton:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/18/DDG2VL68U31.DTL

Selvin's done some great writing over the years but this line is simply unsupportable:

"his last decent album, "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy," "

Perhaps, you know, someone who dislikes a full 30 years of an artist's repertoire shouldn't be the one reviewing a show of said material, no?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2006, 09:53:12 AM »
Selvin trashes Elton:

Selvin's done some great writing over the years but this line is simply unsupportable:

Perhaps, you know, someone who dislikes a full 30 years of an artist's repertoire shouldn't be the one reviewing a show of said material, no?

Agreed. But he's right about the toupees.  Sombody as rich as EJ oughta be able to find better rugs.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #373 on: September 18, 2006, 10:11:10 AM »
Selvin trashes Elton:

I've always felt the same as Joel.  Certainly CF & tBDC was the last Elton album that I purchased.  Doesn't mean his career since then has sucked (he's even won an Oscar since then hasn't he?), but that he's had all of his success in something other the album category.  I don't see where you can extend Selvin's line to cover all that, unless there's more text that you didn't paste.  I don't see how, within the category of really decent album, you can include anything since CF & tBDC, not when it has to stack up against about 6 of his first 9 albums.  Hits galore, soundtracks, musicals, Grammy's & tons of money & celebrity, absolutely.  But albums???
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #374 on: September 18, 2006, 10:33:11 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Selvin trashes Elton:

I've always felt the same as Joel.  Certainly CF & tBDC was the last Elton album that I purchased.  Doesn't mean his career since then has sucked (he's even won an Oscar since then hasn't he?), but that he's had all of his success in something other the album category.  I don't see where you can extend Selvin's line to cover all that, unless there's more text that you didn't paste.  I don't see how, within the category of really decent album, you can include anything since CF & tBDC, not when it has to stack up against about 6 of his first 9 albums.  Hits galore, soundtracks, musicals, Grammy's & tons of money & celebrity, absolutely.  But albums???

"Decent" =/= "stack up against about 6 of his first 9 albums."  I agree that EJ's been far more of a singles artist since CF&TBDC, but his albums, while usually flawed and laden with filler tracks, have definitely been at least "decent."  Blue Moves and Songs From the West Coast, to cite two, still hold up well.