Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443300 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #345 on: August 21, 2006, 02:50:11 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
wow, quite a lineup for Oakland Art & Soul this year: Subdudes, Calexico and Rickie Lee Jones.

three winners!
What's the date on that?

I believe it's Sun of Labor Day wknd (9/3).

not to be confused with sun of a sailor day.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #346 on: August 23, 2006, 01:42:26 PM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Burn Baby Burn
« Reply #347 on: August 26, 2006, 12:03:15 PM »
Chili Peps were Red Hot! The boys can play.

Best show I've been to in a long time. (Almost made it to the Raiders game too but couldn't coordinate picking up the passes. Got to the parking lot at half time and it was apparently 41-1!?)

I can't talk about Mars Volta, the openers as they offended my musical senses. Just sounded noisy. I people watched pre-show. Great sound and light show. I can't remember another show which was better.

Hot guitar (John Frusciante, WOW!) and drums and great vocals melded perfectly. Some great high harmonies. Sounded like a bit of jam going on here and there,  they played off each other so well. I think they enjoyed the Oakland crowd and appreciated the strong support. More old work than Stadium Arcadium but a really good mix and plenty of it.

For a nice ending, when the lights came on and I was edging my way toward the stairs, a beer-soaked $10 spot appeared beneath my feet and I snagged it. Nice and dry and spendable this morning.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #348 on: August 27, 2006, 04:41:14 PM »
Beautiful night at the Mtn. Winery for the Doobs. Totally sold out and people aged from 4 to probably 70's. Lots of drum appeal with two sets going. Nice bass playing from Skylark. Good sax too. They played the hits and some nice bluesy numbers. Very local gig as Pat Simmons had a good number of what sounded like high school friends in attendance.

Opening act was nice young talent, Katie Knipp. I didn't go to my seat but watched and listened from above. She played a nice acoustic guitar and keyboards as well. Energetic.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #349 on: August 27, 2006, 10:15:34 PM »
Here's some cool news:

Was listening to Bonnie Simmons' show earlier on KPFA, and she announced that this year's annual "Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival" in GGPark will be a 3-day affair rather than the usual 2.  And the Friday afternoon program is being billed as "Elvis Costello & Friends"!!! That's Friday Oct. 6th. Mark yer calendars and take a vacation day -- how 'bout a Club Outing?

Just when I was thinking they couldn't make that extravaganza any better--they've done just that. I'll be putting in a PTO request in the morning. Fab news indeed--thanks, Mike!

The hits just keep on coming.

It hasn't been promoted much yet, but the evening of that Elvis gig in the park, T-Bone Burnett is doing a show at the GAMH. And while there's no mention or promise of any guests showing up, I'd be very surprised if someone didn't drop in, what with all the other artists coming thru town for HSB that weekend. Hell, Emmylou Harris will get up and sing with just about anyone, and EC and T-Bone worked together on the Cold Mountain soundtrack--I'd be thrilled to see either of them turn up.

I picked up my tickets tonight--$35 apiece and money well spent, imo. It's seated, so there'll be a limited number of tix available.

Oh, and a few more details on who'll be in EC's band for the gig in the park, from the Bill Kirchen newsletter:

“Oct 6, Bill will be playing with Elvis Costello at the
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in San Francisco.
The band will be Elvis, Bill, Austin DeLone,
Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher with
guest appearances by Emmylou Harris and Gillian Welch.
The festival will be in its fifth year, a wonderful and free
weekend extravaganza of roots music. Elvis was so taken
with the title of Bill's upcoming Proper Records release
that he has, for this one show, named the band after it.
Soooo.....   It's Friday, October 6th at 4 PM in
Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, Elvis Costello and
The Hammer Of The Honky-Tonk Gods! Be there.
Being square is not an option."
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
EC and Bil
« Reply #350 on: August 27, 2006, 10:28:57 PM »
Oh, and a few more details on who'll be in EC's band for the gig in the park, from the Bill Kirchen newsletter:

I have to say this is an incredible combination.  Bill Kirchen is a god-like Tele player, and the combination of him and Elvis has enormous potential!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: EC and Bil
« Reply #351 on: August 28, 2006, 07:34:28 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I have to say this is an incredible combination.  Bill Kirchen is a god-like Tele player, and the combination of him and Elvis has enormous potential!

Indeed this is awesome.  I read the other day that Linda Ronstadt is supposed to be appearing Sat or Sun -- but I also read somewhere that her fall tour was acncelled due to emergency surgery of some kind, so who knows?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #352 on: September 01, 2006, 12:56:18 AM »
Just got home from one of the most amazing rock & roll shows I've seen in a good while (well, since the Zappa Plays Zappa show anyway). Radio Birdman, and Australian band that's been around since the 70s was at the Music Hall tonight, and OH MY F***ING GOD, do they rock. Loud, fast, hook-filled. Sort of surf-garage-protopunk. Their first time ever in the States, Truly a great show. Joe, they're at Irving Plaza a week from Friday (9/8). If you can make it, go. And take earplugs.

I could continue gushing but I gotta get some sleep. Tomorrow's gonna suck at work. Cheers, mates!
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #353 on: September 01, 2006, 09:43:35 AM »
Just got home from one of the most amazing rock & roll shows I've seen in a good while (well, since the Zappa Plays Zappa show anyway). Radio Birdman, and Australian band that's been around since the 70s was at the Music Hall tonight, and OH MY F***ING GOD, do they rock. Loud, fast, hook-filled. Sort of surf-garage-protopunk. Their first time ever in the States, Truly a great show. Joe, they're at Irving Plaza a week from Friday (9/8). If you can make it, go. And take earplugs.

I could continue gushing but I gotta get some sleep. Tomorrow's gonna suck at work. Cheers, mates!

Sounds worthy of a listen.
http://www.radio-birdman.com/
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Idol threats...
« Reply #354 on: September 01, 2006, 12:20:09 PM »
I didn't see anyone else had posted this, Aidin Vaziri's review of the Idol show.  I'm not really a fan of Vaziri's self-indulgence usually, but he's pretty good when shooting fish in a barrel.  Love the line about the best part of "Patience".

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/01/DDG3BKS9AN1.DTL&type=music
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Idol threats...
« Reply #355 on: September 01, 2006, 12:30:13 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
I didn't see anyone else had posted this, Aidin Vaziri's review of the Idol show.  I'm not really a fan of Vaziri's self-indulgence usually, but he's pretty good when shooting fish in a barrel.  Love the line about the best part of "Patience".

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/01/DDG3BKS9AN1.DTL&type=music

"Former roller-skating waitress Kellie Pickler might [play on a stage this big again], but judging by the little red bustier she wore while singing Bonnie Raitt's "Something to Talk About," it would have to involve some kind of pole" LOL!

I was unaware until today that winner Taylor Hicks has appropriated the phrase "Soul Patrol" -- his followers call themselves that, apparently.  Sheesh.  Google "soul patrol" and you get hundreds of pics of him. Utterly frightening.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Idol threats...
« Reply #356 on: September 01, 2006, 03:39:21 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

"Former roller-skating waitress Kellie Pickler might [play on a stage this big again], but judging by the little red bustier she wore while singing Bonnie Raitt's "Something to Talk About," it would have to involve some kind of pole" LOL!

I was unaware until today that winner Taylor Hicks has appropriated the phrase "Soul Patrol" -- his followers call themselves that, apparently.  Sheesh.  Google "soul patrol" and you get hundreds of pics of him. Utterly frightening.

Truth is, I like Taylor.  Not that he's a real star.  But for what he is -- an upjumped wedding singer -- he's very good.  As I've said before, he can play my local bar anytime, and it would be great.  And that single they foisted on him -- just awful.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #357 on: September 06, 2006, 10:08:02 AM »
Here's one for the "huh?!?!?" files--Lou Reed is going to be playing Berlin in.... Redwood City?!? (Sorry, Alicat--no diss to your neck of the woods, but you gotta admit, it's kind of out of character.)

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/38208/Lou_Reed_Antony_to_Perform_Berlin_Live
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #358 on: September 06, 2006, 10:09:56 AM »
Here's one for the "huh?!?!?" files--Lou Reed is going to be playing Berlin in.... Redwood City?!? (Sorry, Alicat--no diss to your neck of the woods, but you gotta admit, it's kind of out of character.)

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/38208/Lou_Reed_Antony_to_Perform_Berlin_Live

and then he'll fly to Berlin to premiere his new CD... oh, you're way ahead of me.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
dissin' Ali
« Reply #359 on: September 06, 2006, 05:25:10 PM »

Well, Redwood City has really changed.  We went to the Little Fox recently, and the whole downtown area is really hoppin', and lots of acts come to the bigger Fox.  I note Lou's playing Campbell Hall at UCSB, where I remember sleeping through lectures almost 40 years ago!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!