Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443304 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #330 on: July 27, 2006, 12:18:51 PM »
Quote from: "Sassafrass"
Ma' bestest friend in da' whole wide world.  Why I knew her when she was still in the tummy. Oh, ya... and we're kin too.

aw, shucks...

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #331 on: July 28, 2006, 03:25:22 PM »
While running an errand today, I drove by the Fox Theater and the marquee boasted Randy Newman and Gordon Lightfoot coming. Not together.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #332 on: July 30, 2006, 09:18:25 AM »
Boz was very good last night. I only recognized about four of the songs but it was all good. He had two female singers and one did Street Life with Boz and band backing her up instrumentally.
He looked good and voice was good.
Can't remember most of it but sure he did
Georgia, Hercules, Jojo, Lido, Breakdown Dead Ahead, and Slow Dancer I think.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
more Boz notes
« Reply #333 on: July 30, 2006, 05:09:41 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Boz was very good last night. I only recognized about four of the songs but it was all good. He had two female singers and one did Street Life with Boz and band backing her up instrumentally.

I flaked on going to the James Hunter show last night!  From a Boz fan list, I got this extra info:

Quote from: "Jan"
My pleasure. Until you hear from someone who wrote the official set list down, I can tell you that Boz added "Hercules" and "What Do You Want the Girl To Do" to the usual Lowdown, Lido, JoJo, Slow Dancer...

Shane Theriot - lead guitar
Paul Nagel - piano
Richard Patterson - bass
Eric Crystal - sax
Khari Parker - drums
Dave Scott - trumpet
Monet and Barbara Wilson
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #334 on: July 31, 2006, 01:16:46 AM »
Not together.

that's too bad. what a bill that would be!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: more Boz notes
« Reply #335 on: July 31, 2006, 01:17:46 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I flaked on going to the James Hunter show last night!  From a Boz fan list, I got this extra info:

Quote from: "Jan"
My pleasure. Until you hear from someone who wrote the official set list down, I can tell you that Boz added "Hercules" and "What Do You Want the Girl To Do" to the usual Lowdown, Lido, JoJo, Slow Dancer...

Shane Theriot - lead guitar
Paul Nagel - piano
Richard Patterson - bass
Eric Crystal - sax
Khari Parker - drums
Dave Scott - trumpet
Monet and Barbara Wilson

monet is awesome! and boz always looks good!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2006, 09:50:37 PM »
Here's some cool news:

Was listening to Bonnie Simmons' show earlier on KPFA, and she announced that this year's annual "Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival" in GGPark will be a 3-day affair rather than the usual 2.  And the Friday afternoon program is being billed as "Elvis Costello & Friends"!!! That's Friday Oct. 6th. Mark yer calendars and take a vacation day -- how 'bout a Club Outing?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #337 on: August 03, 2006, 10:32:24 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Here's some cool news:

Was listening to Bonnie Simmons' show earlier on KPFA, and she announced that this year's annual "Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival" in GGPark will be a 3-day affair rather than the usual 2.  And the Friday afternoon program is being billed as "Elvis Costello & Friends"!!! That's Friday Oct. 6th. Mark yer calendars and take a vacation day -- how 'bout a Club Outing?

Just when I was thinking they couldn't make that extravaganza any better--they've done just that. I'll be putting in a PTO request in the morning. Fab news indeed--thanks, Mike!
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #338 on: August 03, 2006, 11:03:15 PM »
Sounds good to me. Remind me when the date is closer.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #339 on: August 13, 2006, 07:14:31 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Here's some cool news:

Just when I was thinking they couldn't make that extravaganza any better--they've done just that. I'll be putting in a PTO request in the morning. Fab news indeed--thanks, Mike!

Just wanted to mention this show again. I'm definitely taking that week off, as (fingers crossed) The A's may be playing some first-round playoff games that week. (Giants... probably not. :roll: ) And I'll definitely go to Elvis & Friends thing -- perfect October weather in the park, no doubt, and one assumes Friday will be less crowded than the weekend days.

Urth, did ya go to the World Party show Sat nite at GAMH?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #340 on: August 14, 2006, 10:38:48 PM »
Here's some cool news:

Just wanted to mention this show again. I'm definitely taking that week off, as (fingers crossed) The A's may be playing some first-round playoff games that week. (Giants... probably not. :roll: ) And I'll definitely go to Elvis & Friends thing -- perfect October weather in the park, no doubt, and one assumes Friday will be less crowded than the weekend days.

Urth, did ya go to the World Party show Sat nite at GAMH?

You can pretty much count on me being at Barely Strictly Bluegrass this year, particularly that EC day, although I haven't decided whether to take PTO or a mental health day. Your instinct about there being less of a crowd is most likely dead on, but I wouldn't bet one way or the other on the weather--the last two years I've been out there in multiple layers, including flannel, sweatshirt, fleece, and longjohns. The weather pattern this year seems to be significantly different tho, so I'm really hoping for some nice weather.

And yeah I did catch the World Party gig on Saturday. Good show and they hit Goodbye Jumbo pretty hard--only a song or two from each of their other albums but at least a half-dozen from GJ. Sweet Soul Dream was particularly inspired, as was When the Rainbow Comes. Decent crowd for a Music Hall show, about 2/3 of the house--good thing they moved it from the Fillmore, where it would have been embarassingly empty.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #341 on: August 21, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »
wow, quite a lineup for Oakland Art & Soul this year: Subdudes, Calexico and Rickie Lee Jones.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #342 on: August 21, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »
wow, quite a lineup for Oakland Art & Soul this year: Subdudes, Calexico and Rickie Lee Jones.

three winners!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #343 on: August 21, 2006, 01:57:10 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

three winners!
What's the date on that?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #344 on: August 21, 2006, 02:12:41 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

three winners!
What's the date on that?

I believe it's Sun of Labor Day wknd (9/3).