Author Topic: The Next Club Get-Together  (Read 144910 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: The Next Club Get-Together
« Reply #315 on: December 04, 2008, 02:37:01 PM »
I'm in favor of y'all getting an earlier start & then letting me bring Gaz along as soon as he touches down.  He just called me from his Philly stop-over & all signs point to on-time arrival.
I can get there anytime as it's pretty much in my 'hood. Mike if you're early, call me and I can be there in 10 minutes.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 04, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »
I plan on leaving my house at 7.  The google instructions say it will take me 43 minutes. 

My dig its if y'all change plans:
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 04, 2008, 05:49:55 PM »
I'll be there around 7:45 too.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »
This sounds very promising.  Why don't we say, tentatively, 12:30 Saturday at the Citrus Club on Haight Street (inexpensive pan-Asian noodle joint near the park), Amoeba field trip to follow.

BTW, for those joining us in the Haight tomorrow who might be looking for something to do afterward, The Red Vic is showing the recent  Patti Smith docu, Dream of Life (which barely got released, theatrically) all day.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 06, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »
This sounds very promising.  Why don't we say, tentatively, 12:30 Saturday at the Citrus Club on Haight Street (inexpensive pan-Asian noodle joint near the park), Amoeba field trip to follow.
I wanted to make the get-together to meet you all, but I've had an annoying cold the past couple days.  I waited til last minute, decided it best I don't make trip to the Haight today.  I'll catch up with you at other opportunities.  Have fun! -Wayback Dave

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 10, 2008, 09:46:04 PM »
I can't even express how much fun I had with you guys during my trip.  It'll take me several days to catch up on all the e-mails and other correspondence I missed, but at some point soon I'll post a ton of pictures.

Y'all have reminded me - as if I needed reminding - why SF is my favorite city of all.  Thanks for all the joy you've brought my way, both virtually and in person.

Gaz

PS: I wound down my visit nicely quietly: Monday at Fisherman's Wharf followed by dinner with my friend Niel (who let me stay at his place), then Tuesday in the Castro for a matinee showing of Milk (I have observations to post on this soon) and a visit with my former Boston roommate Brian, who now lives in the Mission.  Made it back to NYC on a red-eye, then straight to work, and now home to crash.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 10, 2008, 11:39:32 PM »
I can't even express how much fun I had with you guys during my trip.  It'll take me several days to catch up on all the e-mails and other correspondence I missed, but at some point soon I'll post a ton of pictures.

Y'all have reminded me - as if I needed reminding - why SF is my favorite city of all.  Thanks for all the joy you've brought my way, both virtually and in person.

Gaz

PS: I wound down my visit nicely quietly: Monday at Fisherman's Wharf followed by dinner with my friend Niel (who let me stay at his place), then Tuesday in the Castro for a matinee showing of Milk (I have observations to post on this soon) and a visit with my former Boston roommate Brian, who now lives in the Mission.  Made it back to NYC on a red-eye, then straight to work, and now home to crash.

A hearty seconding of that, both to the crew that made it to the Citrus Club on Saturday, and those who weren't able to make it--you were missed, but are no less important to this group. Our get-togethers are going to be even more rare for me now that I'm out of state, but it was so fortuitous that Gaz and I were in town simultaneously that I'm glad we were all able to get together in whatever combinations, particularly in light of DM's impending departure.

And I have to say a big thanks for the "Make Cheese Not War" t-shirts that Gaz imported from Murray's Cheese in NYC--one of the top cheese emporia in the Big Apple. Sarah loves hers as much as I do mine, and ya gotta know we agree with the sentiment expressed. Thanks, youse guys! (TANC: About two hours later, when I got back to San Rafael to pick up my in-laws, my mother-in-law gave me a t-shirt as well--from Saxelby's Cheeses, another NYC artisan cheese shop.) And it was great to meet John/Tinka in the flesh--he's a good guy and just as much of a 10@10 geek as the rest of us, so a fine addition to our number. Safe to say the same applies to Wayback, but I'll have to save meeting him for my next time down there (TBD).

So I'm curious: what did the rest of y'all pick up at Amoeba? Anything good?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:41:19 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 11, 2008, 08:05:34 AM »
yes, I had a great time meeting you guys.  Glad I could make it out to the Citrus Club, hang w Mike, Gaz, Urth and Ali and her daughter.   

Amoeba was fun, too, although I wasn't in the mood to buy as much as I wanted just to lurk over the shoulders of Mike, Gaz, urth, Ali and Shray to see what everyone was looking at, interested in, and to hear what their opinions are on this or that song, or that album cover (thanks for pointing out "Electric Landlady," Gazoo!).

... and that's exactly why I stick around here!   :)

I picked up a Creeper Lagoon CD for a buck b/c one of the guys from CL is my neighbor!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:23:40 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 11, 2008, 09:49:57 AM »

My tally (total cost: $50):

70s Greatest Hits - 3CD bit-o'-everything, mostly cheezy comp, which I bought primarily to have "Joanne" and "Amos Moses"
Howard Jones, Greatest Hits - ACK!  This turned out to be one of those "re-recorded by the orig artist" cheat jobs!
Pet Shop Boys, Disco 2 - a remix collection
Tanita Tikaram, Ancient Heart - now I'll find out what she did apart from "Twist in My Sobriety"
The Stone Roses, Second Coming - "the Messiah is my sister; ain't no king, man, she's my queen"
Christmas Gumbo - a Nawlins Christmas gift for my uncle Art in Florida
Social Distortion, s/t - bought on Mshray's urgent recommendation, only knowing "Ball & Chain"
Bodacious D.F., s/t - Marty Balin's band in between his Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship rides; I've not heard a note of this, but suspect I may never see this on CD again.  I'll report on this once I've given a listen or two.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »

Howard Jones, Greatest Hits - ACK!  This turned out to be one of those "re-recorded by the orig artist" cheat jobs!

Oh no! I *hate* it when that happens (that GrassRoots re-recorded GH shows up on KCDX all the time and makes me want to scream).

All I bought was the CD of Nilsson Sings Newman feat bonus tracks (thanks Mark for the tip) and a vinyl version of the legendary and long-out-of-print Rotary Connection Xmas LP (all original tunes and VERY '60s).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #325 on: December 11, 2008, 10:10:52 AM »
Tanita Tikaram, Ancient Heart - now I'll find out what she did apart from "Twist in My Sobriety"
I know of her from her collaboration with Moodswings
Psychedelicatessen by The Moodswings.
Redemption Song (Oh Happy Day), vocals.
Together As One (Luminous)
let me know if you want to hear these.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 11, 2008, 03:59:02 PM »

Oh no! I *hate* it when that happens (that GrassRoots re-recorded GH shows up on KCDX all the time and makes me want to scream).

I got a double disc CSN Best of that turned out to be the same.  total crap.

But I do own a legit HoJo Best Of, I can burn you a copy one of these days.  (and speaking of...listened to the Bran Van all the way home from work Monday.  Thanks again!)  Let me know what you think of the Social D after a listen or 2.  Cuts 2-7 stand out for me.  Especially "Story Of My Life".
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 30, 2009, 10:25:36 AM »
Hey, if I'm not mistaken, Alicat is now commuting to the south bay, & I continue to be pushed to buy people lunch.  How's about I treat at a time & place of your mutual choosing sometime soon?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #328 on: April 30, 2009, 11:51:28 AM »
Hey, if I'm not mistaken, Alicat is now commuting to the south bay, & I continue to be pushed to buy people lunch.  How's about I treat at a time & place of your mutual choosing sometime soon?
when school is out...
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam
« Reply #329 on: June 01, 2009, 09:13:38 AM »
Anybody up for a group adventure with the knights who say Ni!?  I MUST go see Spamalot!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing