Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 78330 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2006, 01:15:04 PM »
Well, fuck.

Major layoffs at the Voice today:

Darren Reidy, a friend of mine who'd been a copy editor for the past year
Elizabeth Zimmer, the Dance editor (I presume the section is being killed)
Ed Park, the Books editor (ditto, unless New Times plans to syndicate)
Jorge Morales, the Theater editor, also a friend of mine (not to mention the only person still giving me regular assignments)

. . .  and, shockingly, the Dean himself.  Yup, Xgau is X'ed.

I hope no future prospective employer ever asks me my opinion of New Times.

Guess it's a good thing I'm a mercenary in the job force.

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2006, 01:35:35 PM »
Merciless. But aren't most employers? Hope you still still have income streaming in.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2006, 09:00:55 AM »
Just found out I didn't make it to the next round for a job I phone interviewed for and was totally interested in.  :cry:
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2006, 09:08:32 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Just found out I didn't make it to the next round for a job I phone interviewed for and was totally interested in.  :cry:

Damn.  Really sorry to hear that.  Equally sorry that I don't have good consoling words, but these are simply fucked up times.  The only way to succeed in today's job market is to lie your ass off, cheat as many people as you can, and change the rules of the game as soon as you're in a position of power.  It's the American Way, and it's despicable.  There are two kinds of people in my world these days: The good people, and the fiscally secure people.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2006, 09:23:02 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

....The good people, and the fiscally secure people.

I'd like to be both.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2006, 09:26:08 AM »

I'd like to be both.

So would I, friend.  But it can't happen when capitalism has no brakes.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2006, 09:46:22 AM »

I'd like to be both.

I feel ya, Ali. Seems like it's all folks like us can do to stay even, let alone get ahead a bit.

Sorry to hear they didn't have the good sense to call you in--I know you really wanted that one. Keep plugging, my friend, what else can you do?
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2006, 10:42:20 AM »
So...
I am torn between not saying anything, by way of trying to avoid jinxing my chance, and sharing all the details, by way of trying to generate some positive karmic momentum on this thread.

And...
The deciding factor is that, in the aftermath of Bob's set that I missed all but the back-announce, The Drive is playing JT ("Shower the people you love with love..."), followed by 3DN ("Wash away your troubles...").

Thus...
Two Monday's ago I got a call out of the blue from a recruiter in Dallas (months after I'd sent my resume to someone in the SJ branch of the same recruiting company).  He described a position very similar to my own, even to the point that the primary focus would be on the account with Cisco.  He never said who it was, but over the course of several conversations (necessitated by him making a mistake in his inital notes, thinking I was currently only making $35k & wondering how I could justify such a much higher salary) I learned that they were European-based, which to my mind meant it could only be one company.  I checked with my best buddy within the industry, Tony, and he confirmed that as far as he could tell it must be Worldmark; based in Scotland & the largest (& most global) competitor in our business space.  Which in turn meant that I currently hold the only other exactly comparable position within any other company on the planet.  I have all the contacts within Cisco, understand their corporate culture, can get mutilple letters of rec from Cisco folks, etc.  But, by the end of that week this recruiter told me that my candidacy was no longer under consideration.  SHIT!!!  He seemed really stuck on the question of my making $35k, which was never true in the first place.  When I asked him directly, he still wouldn't confirm that it was Worldmark, but his evasion kind of gave it away anyway I thought.  After I got back from my Labor Day trip I called my buddy Tony again, and he said he had some contact info for Worldmark's US office in Chicago, and to say that he recommended me.  The next day (last Wednesday) I met with my headhunter & she helped me put the finishing touches on a new & improved resume format*, and at the end of the day I sent it to the contact at Worldmark's Chicago office.  The following morning just after 9:00 I got a call from the president of Worldmark USA.  I had been right.  They did need to replace their Cisco director, who was moving up within the organization, and he thought my background was perfect.  He was actually glad that the recruiter screwed it up & that I contacted him directly, because it would save him the commision**.  After 40 minutes of conversation he said they'd like to fly me out to Chicago as soon as he gets back from his then-up-coming trip to Europe, i.e. next Thursday the 21st.  Email on Saturday confirmed his intentions to do this.  

My friend Tony says he knows this guy, seems sharp, and that Worldmark is a first class organition to work for in his opinion.  And they definitely have a career path for me, it seems the President previously held the postion to which I am applying.  Tony said, "Mark, unless you go there and insult them to their faces, I don't see how they wouldn't hire you.  You're perfect for this, and it's damn near perfect for you."

This better not jinx it though!

*I would be more than happy to share my hard-won resume expertise with any of the rest of you.  Presumably the Dallas recruiter sent my little one-pager to someone, either in his company or in Worldmark & they didn't give it a second thought.  But the new & improved two-pager got me a call from the president within hours.

**I immediately flashed on the scene from Pretty Woman, where Vivien goes back to the Rodeo Drive designer gown shop where she'd been snubbed & shows them all the stuff she bought & rubs their noses in the commissions they didn't get - "Big mistake.  HUGE!".  But I'm not going to do that myself, especially since I haven't gotten anything yet.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2006, 09:52:18 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
*I would be more than happy to share my hard-won resume expertise with any of the rest of you.

Email me. I still need a change.

I cross my fingers for you.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2006, 10:51:12 PM »
Gaz: Telecommute?

Creative Advertising and Marketing Copywriter (redwood city)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: job-207213190@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-09-14, 9:26AM PDT

WHO WE ARE
A new music television channel.

POSITION DESCRIPTION

OK, here's the deal. We're looking for a strong copywriter that knows how to whip words into shape. We're talkin' clean, snappy copy with innovative, original vision and solid strategic thinking. If this is you, here's what you'll be up to:

* Helping develop the creative approach to various marketing and advertising projects
* Writing, editing and proofing execution copy for all forms of media including, but not limited to: ads, television promo and multimedia
* Serve as a resource for strategic input and concept development
* Work in a team environment within an integrated marketing, advertising and design group

This position reports directly to the channel's creative director.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

* Television broadcast experience or agency experience a major plus
* Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure
* Copywriter must demonstrate an ability to take direction but function independently
* Ability to hand multiple projects and tasks
* Ability to research issues and make recommendations for resolution
* Presentation skills a major plus
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
* Have a working understanding of both MAC and PC platforms

EDUCATION

* Bachelor's degreer or equivalent experience
* 2-4 years of related experience with writing marcom and advertising copy
* Proven proofreading skills preferred

**This is a 3 month contract position with potential for extension**
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2006, 08:45:30 AM »
Gaz: Telecommute?

Creative Advertising and Marketing Copywriter (redwood city)

Greatly appreciated, and I'll look up the company for other opps, but I'm just not able to work in ad copy.  I don't have the head or the heart for it.

Thanks for the alert!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2006, 03:22:11 PM »
Worldmark Update

Quote from: "two Mondays ago mshray"
...After 40 minutes of conversation he said they'd like to fly me out to Chicago as soon as he gets back from his then-up-coming trip to Europe, i.e. next Thursday the 21st. Email on Saturday confirmed his intentions to do this.

Well, after nervously waiting to hear more, I finally got a brief email on Tuesday saying 'sorry for the lack of communication, I'm back from the trip, but this week isn't going to work out'.  Then tried to call yesterday but didn't get a call back.  Finally just now talked to the president again & we're tentatively set to have me fly to Chicago a week from Monday (10/2).

I have been & still am really struggling to be patient & calm & keep my hopes in check about this.  But it's hard.  I want this SOOO bad.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2006, 05:06:28 PM »
Worldmark Update

...After 40 minutes of conversation he said they'd like to fly me out to Chicago as soon as he gets back from his then-up-coming trip to Europe, i.e. next Thursday the 21st. Email on Saturday confirmed his intentions to do this.

Well, after nervously waiting to hear more, I finally got a brief email on Tuesday saying 'sorry for the lack of communication, I'm back from the trip, but this week isn't going to work out'.  Then tried to call yesterday but didn't get a call back.  Finally just now talked to the president again & we're tentatively set to have me fly to Chicago a week from Monday (10/2).

I have been & still am really struggling to be patient & calm & keep my hopes in check about this.  But it's hard.  I want this SOOO bad.

Okay, I got the confirmation.  Going to Chicago this weekend.  Meetings Monday morning, flying back out about 3pm Chicago time, which I presume means lunch before departing.

Wish me luck!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2006, 06:12:26 PM »
Worldmark Update

Okay, I got the confirmation.  Going to Chicago this weekend.  Meetings Monday morning, flying back out about 3pm Chicago time, which I presume means lunch before departing.

Wish me luck!

Luck, dude! And try to give Bob a call while you're in Chicago--although I'm betting you won't be able to catch his set live-but if ya get a gig out of it, totally worth the sacrifice.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2006, 09:34:41 PM »
Worldmark Update

Wish me luck!

Best of luck!!!
BTW, Roger Waters is there on Saturday doing Dark Side of the Moon. Tme to score a ticket and see a show? Might bring ya extra good karma to mix music and business.

I'm seeing him Oct 10 at Shoreline.
Sharks bleed teal.