Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 77517 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: My job
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 10:22:02 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "ggould"
as of tomorrow afternoon, I'm unemployed.

Not for long, I'm certain: Good teachers are hard to find.  If you have the stomach for another year of it, that is.   (I was forever scared off of teaching when I read Up the Down Staircase as a teen.  That book taught me much of what I needed to know about bureaucracy.)  Wishing you, and Mark, and the POC, and the Alicat (and any others?) and myself best of luck in the respective job hunts.  Funny that of all the people I know well, I don't think a single one of them is satisfied and secure in their job situation.  And these aren't fresh-out-of-college types; they're seasoned professionals in their 30s, 40s, and 50s.  Kind of scary when you think about it.  Like, when do we start getting some payoff for everything we're putting into the machine?  [ /rant ]

Wish Urth well too!
The kids look like a nice group. Really.
Good luck Mark. Sounds like you have a leg up, so to speak.
I put in a good day of work today but it was not pleasant. Why am I not satisfied? Don't try to answer.(/rant)[/u]
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 08:14:52 AM »
And speaking of jobs, our special little company is hiring.  Think of us as a re-startup.  Doesn't seem like any of our positions would fit with any of you, though Ali might look at the sales position, and pretty much anyone can do Account Management (don't tell the account managers I said that).  And you all know other people who might need work.

Descriptions can be found here:

http://www.davidcorp.com/career.html
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 02:30:49 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
And speaking of jobs, our special little company is hiring.  Think of us as a re-startup.  Doesn't seem like any of our positions would fit with any of you, though Ali might look at the sales position, and pretty much anyone can do Account Management (don't tell the account managers I said that).  And you all know other people who might need work.

Descriptions can be found here:

http://www.davidcorp.com/career.html

TANC: (this is starting to be a little freaky) i watched the yul in indio black last night on television, and here's rod's avatar!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Electronic Frontier Foundation job
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 07:33:18 AM »
Any of you qualified for / interested in this?  The EFF do wonderful work.

EFF Seeks Staff Technologist

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), an Internet civil liberties
nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, is seeking a fulltime Staff
Technologist to work in our Mission District office.

EFF works in that difficult space where law and technology collide. Unlike
other nonprofit lawfirms, EFF is known for our technical expertise. Along
with our webmaster and sysadmin, EFF's tech staff includes a couple of
technologists who translate technical issues to two major audiences: 1) EFF
attorneys, who need to understand the specifics of how technology works in
order to do their legal work and 2) the general public, which looks to EFF
to explain what's really going on in non-technical jargon.

The staff technologist job includes being part of litigation teams, writing
white papers, attending technical meetings, public speaking, preparing
evidence or declarations to be presented to courts, and working with the
rest of EFF's staff. Technical expertise is absolutely required, as is great
writing skill and a healthy respect for deadlines. As part of the tech team,
the staff technologist will sometimes be asked to pitch in and assist with
whatever tech issue happens to be causing a problem at the moment. A
willingness to be a team player is a must. The job requires some travel.

Requirements:

* Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer science or a
related technical field (mathematics, physics, etc.), or equivalent
experience;
    * Strong writing and public speaking skills. Must have technical writing
sample(s) illustrating the explanation of a technical topic to an
intelligent lay audience;
    * Detailed knowledge of and experience using and programming for at
least one computer operating system;
    * Detailed knowledge of and experience using at least one (preferably
low-level) programming language, such as C;
    * Knowledge of or willingness to learn about information security topics
such as cryptography and digital rights management (DRM); and
    * Familiarity with Internet architecture and network protocols.

In addition, the ideal candidate will have:

* Experience with radio frequency technologies and communications;
    * Detailed knowledge of the Microsoft Windows platform (development,
    * debugging, reverse engineering, etc.);
    * Hardware engineering experience;
    * System administration or system programming experience; and/or
    * Experience presenting at technical conferences.

To apply, send a cover letter and your resume to stafftech@eff.org. Please
send these materials in a non-proprietary format. No phone calls please!
Principals only.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: My (new) job
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 03:28:57 PM »
Not for long, I'm certain: Good teachers are hard to find.  If you have the stomach for another year of it, that is.   (I was forever scared off of teaching when I read Up the Down Staircase as a teen.  That book taught me much of what I needed to know about bureaucracy.)  Wishing you, and Mark, and the POC, and the Alicat (and any others?) and myself best of luck in the respective job hunts.  Funny that of all the people I know well, I don't think a single one of them is satisfied and secure in their job situation.  And these aren't fresh-out-of-college types; they're seasoned professionals in their 30s, 40s, and 50s.  Kind of scary when you think about it.  Like, when do we start getting some payoff for everything we're putting into the machine?  [ /rant ]

Well, today, I signed away another year of my life.  I took a position at Wallenberg HS, which is a small school, and the principal said she liked me.  It's going to be rough, because I will teach 5 classes in 4 different rooms, and I'll have to wear a tie everyday, but if I can't survive those inconveniences, I guess I'm not cut out for teaching!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 09:04:31 PM »

Well, today, I signed away another year of my life.  I took a position at Wallenberg HS, which is a small school, and the principal said she liked me.  It's going to be rough, because I will teach 5 classes in 4 different rooms, and I'll have to wear a tie everyday, but if I can't survive those inconveniences, I guess I'm not cut out for teaching!

We knew your unemployment wouldn't last for long.  I think the novelty will help you grow even further.  And they wouldn't sign up on to something they didn't think you'd rise to.  CONGRATULATIONS, Teach!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 08:51:09 AM »

Way to go Geoff.  That's up by USF isn't it?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 09:16:42 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

very close to Geary and Masonic, near the old Sears location.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 09:30:47 AM »

It that a "magnet school"? smarter, more motivated kids?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2006, 09:37:15 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
It that a "magnet school"? smarter, more motivated kids?

It's called an 'Alternative' school.  I don't think they use the term magnet anymore.  I was at a 'Dream School' last year.  Wallenberg is called a 'traditional' school, and the focus is on academics, but I wonder about science!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 09:39:21 AM »
I was at a 'Dream School' last year.  

From your posts it sounded more like a Nightmare School :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2006, 09:54:11 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I was at a 'Dream School' last year.  
From your posts it sounded more like a Nightmare School :wink:

well, the teachers weren't too happy about being told the year before that they had to re-apply to return to the school.  About 80% of the teachers didn't return.  Nonetheless, there's lots of really dedicated teachers there.  It's an incredibly difficult job in the current climate.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 03:51:44 PM »
Who has worked at a non-profit and what has your experience been?
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 08:26:56 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

During my two years in Boston, I was the administrative assistant for two nonprofits, Old West United Methodist Church and Safe Havens Interfaith Partnership Against Domestic Violence.  The latter was comparatively well-funded by the city of Boston because it set clear and demonstrable goals that brought many communities' leaders together.  Both were good orgs, even if Methodism isn't terribly compatible with my worldview; and while I was not very well paid, I felt good about the work I was doing.  On the whole it was a good experience for me.

What, specifically, are ye fishin' to know?  Curious as to what's on your mind.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 10:11:12 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

During my two years in Boston, I was the administrative assistant for two nonprofits, Old West United Methodist Church and Safe Havens Interfaith Partnership Against Domestic Violence.  The latter was comparatively well-funded by the city of Boston because it set clear and demonstrable goals that brought many communities' leaders together.  Both were good orgs, even if Methodism isn't terribly compatible with my worldview; and while I was not very well paid, I felt good about the work I was doing.  On the whole it was a good experience for me.

What, specifically, are ye fishin' to know?  Curious as to what's on your mind.

Potential interview but their range is about 30% less than my desire and I wondering how low can I afford to go. I want to find as many positives as I can. How many benefits would make up for diminished wages. Might there be advencement potential within a year or two. Could I add to my repertoire of skills and move on and up more quickly than if I stay where I am. The job is spot on for what I love to do and I'm tremendously qualified. I need to hash this out quickly and say yes or no to move into interview stage.

Ironic this comes up right after talking about money and happiness yesterday.  I don't know how honest I am with myself about the balance of money and or job satisfaction. I don't have answers that seem right.
Sharks bleed teal.