Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 78303 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« on: January 09, 2006, 11:11:44 PM »
Thank you, Craigslist:

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/wri/123993878.html

Rock/Pop Editor (6-month contract) (potrero hill)
Reply to: rhapsody_editor@hotmail.com
Date: 2006-01-09, 4:57PM PST

Do you know everything there is to know about the rock canon, from AC/DC to ZZ Top? Do you look forward to the next season of American Idol, and can you distinguish between the different phases of Mariah's career? Would you actually listen to Ashlee Simpson…for fun?

Rhapsody, the premier online music subscription service, seeks an expert in rock/pop for a full-time assignment through June 2006. The ideal candidate will have a deep knowledge and true love of rock and pop music -- past, present and future.

Candidate will help build out and maintain the rock/pop section of Rhapsody (www.rhapsody.com) by assigning similar artists and musical genres to acts; creating genre and themed playlists, as well as playlists of recommended tracks by each act; programming the rock and other Internet radio stations; and identifying holes in our catalog of music. In addition, the editor will write brief artist biographies and album reviews (often under tight deadlines). Existing relationships with relevant labels would be preferable, but is not essential. Bay Area location is also preferable, but not essential.

Job Requirements
• Superior writing skills
• Superior knowledge of rock and pop and all of their stylistic offshoots and predecessors
• 2+ years working at a music publication (print or online) or related business
• Tech-savvy and familiarity with content management systems
• Proficiency with various PC applications (Word, Excel, etc.)
• Broad knowledge of online music business
• Well-organized, detail-oriented, self-starting individual with excellent communication skills
• BA degree (or equivalent)
• Must own PC and have a broadband connection

Send resume, cover letter and writing samples to rhapsody_editor@hotmail.com. Please put ROCK EDITOR in the subject line. Your writing samples will be the one of the strongest indications of whether you're qualified for this job, so please send several of your best (preferably published) clips showcasing different kinds of music writing, such as album reviews, features, artist biographies, liner notes, etc.

* Compensation: Hourly
    * Telecommuting is ok.
    * no -- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    * no -- Please, no phone calls about this job!
    * no -- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
    * yes -- Reposting this message elsewhere is OK.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Job Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 07:37:10 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Thank you, Craigslist:

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/wri/123993878.html

Right up yer alley, bub!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 09:21:12 AM »
GO FOR IT! I don't know anyone more qualified. Telecommute OK!
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 12:18:14 AM »
I received a call Monday and had a phone screening today for a great opportunity. Cross your fingers for me. Hopefully an in person meeting will be offered. This chance is something I have lusted after for many years. Too nervous to offer more deets publicly.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 07:32:50 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
I received a call Monday and had a phone screening today for a great opportunity. Cross your fingers for me. Hopefully an in person meeting will be offered. This chance is something I have lusted after for many years. Too nervous to offer more deets publicly.

fingers, toes and other body parts crossed! Good luck, Ali!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 10:47:01 AM »

Good luck!

My New Year's Resolution was to get a better job, too.  With all the traveling I did the first 2 weeks it wasn't until yesterday that I finally began to put the plan into effect.  But yesterday I sent resumes to Cisco & Google for specific job postings, with my Cisco friend offering to personally forward to the hiring mgr & recommend me on the spot.  My wife's cousin (the one with the robot, Dave) has a friend at Google who he says will do the same for me.  I also got in touch with recruiters at 2 executive search places.

Why, you may ask, do I want a better job?  Well for one thing, when my CEO was here last week he handed me my bonus and as usual he was acting like he was being sooo generous.  He told me not to mention how much it was to my 2 coworkers because they didn't get as much.  I feel so sorry for them, because mine was $800.  At least it was more than 1% of my salary, unlike my first two years.  The company as a whole has had between 20-35% growth each of those years by comparison, during which I have gotten only one raise which was $100/month.

But I'm not bitter.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 03:00:30 PM »
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 03:05:31 PM »
Urth:
Know anything about this?

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/mar/169874037.html

Not specifically--we editorial types don't generally have a lot to do with the ad staff, but it's definitely here in the 2nd st. bldg. I'll try to ask around & see what I can find out, but I'd say submit your CV, and be patient. CNET is not known for moving terribly fast when it comes to hiring.
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 10:46:45 AM »
send me some good vibes for international work! i'm supposed to be on a flight back to sf right now. but i'm going to try my luck in madrid in a couple of weeks. i finished my dutch class, and have been speaking alot. it's a fun language. i shared a row with two dutchies on the plane from madrid yesterday, and we were chatting away like natives! well, they weren't pretending. i would stay here, but my housesitting job ends at the end of the month, and it's much harder for foreigners to work in the netherlands than it is in spain.

fyi: my favorite quote from the weekend in madrid: "y judd hirsch, tambien!"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 01:59:59 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
i shared a row with two dutchies on the plane from madrid yesterday, and we were chatting away like natives!

Reaction #1: I thought you said "HAD a row ..." and wondered if punches were thrown.

Reaction #2: So every time you got up to use the restroom, you passed the Dutchies on the left-hand side?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 02:02:51 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
i shared a row with two dutchies on the plane from madrid yesterday, and we were chatting away like natives!

Reaction #1: I thought you said "HAD a row ..." and wondered if punches were thrown.

Reaction #2: So every time you got up to use the restroom, you passed the Dutchies on the left-hand side?

r1: ha! no row. i wouldn't want to fight with any of these giants. though they are mostly gentle.

r2: word!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 02:44:25 PM »
I likewise thought our Princess 'had' a row.

I'll send you my vibes next week if you send me yours for the next 2 hrs.

I had an 11:30 phone interview with the director who is the boss of my potential hiring manager, and it went pretty well I think.  Beginning at  3:30 I have to go back to Cisco for two more interviews, one with a director I might be tasked to if I got the job, and one with one of the 4 managers who report to him.

In case that doesn't make sense, job is called Product Cost Manager & one is responsible for driving down costs and/or preserving or expanding the margins, by any means necessary.  So you get to stick your finger in a lot pies & see how many plums you can pull out within one manufacturing organization (typically containing 2-4 Business Units, each with mulitple product lines).  So all the PCM's are on the same team and have the same manager, but each is assigned to a different manufacturing group with a different director.  Got it?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 04:23:33 PM »
So every time you got up to use the restroom, you passed the Dutchies on the left-hand side?

LINE OF THE WEEK!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
My job
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 08:26:22 PM »
as of tomorrow afternoon, I'm unemployed.  Hopefully I will get hired before the fall; my teaching certificate came in the mail today.  But it was a rough year, had a falling out with dept chair, so I don't have good references yet.

Me and the 9th grade hooligans!:
[/img]
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: My job
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 10:02:20 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
as of tomorrow afternoon, I'm unemployed.

Not for long, I'm certain: Good teachers are hard to find.  If you have the stomach for another year of it, that is.   (I was forever scared off of teaching when I read Up the Down Staircase as a teen.  That book taught me much of what I needed to know about bureaucracy.)  Wishing you, and Mark, and the POC, and the Alicat (and any others?) and myself best of luck in the respective job hunts.  Funny that of all the people I know well, I don't think a single one of them is satisfied and secure in their job situation.  And these aren't fresh-out-of-college types; they're seasoned professionals in their 30s, 40s, and 50s.  Kind of scary when you think about it.  Like, when do we start getting some payoff for everything we're putting into the machine?  [ /rant ]