Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 78302 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 09:27:59 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Potential interview but their range is about 30% less than my desire and I wondering how low can I afford to go. I want to find as many positives as I can. How many benefits would make up for diminished wages. Might there be advencement potential within a year or two. Could I add to my repertoire of skills and move on and up more quickly than if I stay where I am. The job is spot on for what I love to do and I'm tremendously qualified. I need to hash this out quickly and say yes or no to move into interview stage.

Ironic this comes up right after talking about money and happiness yesterday.  I don't know how honest I am with myself about the balance of money and or job satisfaction. I don't have answers that seem right.

You'll likely pick up new skills out of necessity, but I wouldn't expect advancement potential -- most NPs have limited org charts and so you get stuck in your title, if not your role.  What's attractive about it, the job or the field?  If the answer isn't "both," then this may not be the right opp to seize.  I kinda think that in the Venn diagram of "job," "field," and "compensation," you need 2 out of the 3 for the sitch to work for you.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 05:32:44 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Potential interview but their range is about 30% less than my desire and I wondering how low can I afford to go. I want to find as many positives as I can. How many benefits would make up for diminished wages. Might there be advencement potential within a year or two. Could I add to my repertoire of skills and move on and up more quickly than if I stay where I am. The job is spot on for what I love to do and I'm tremendously qualified. I need to hash this out quickly and say yes or no to move into interview stage.

Ironic this comes up right after talking about money and happiness yesterday.  I don't know how honest I am with myself about the balance of money and or job satisfaction. I don't have answers that seem right.

You'll likely pick up new skills out of necessity, but I wouldn't expect advancement potential -- most NPs have limited org charts and so you get stuck in your title, if not your role.  What's attractive about it, the job or the field?  If the answer isn't "both," then this may not be the right opp to seize.  I kinda think that in the Venn diagram of "job," "field," and "compensation," you need 2 out of the 3 for the sitch to work for you.

Been meaning to chime in on Ali's query. My wife worked for the Nature Conservancy for several years, and her experience was similar to Gaz's. She started at a decent salary since TNC is a pretty big outfit, but raises were meager if at all, and she never got a promotion, even though she went from being one of a 6-person admin department to essentially acting as office administrator with a staff of one. Which is why she quit.

Also, she found that non-profits don't usually tend to attract the highest caliber of executive (or if they do, they get frustrated and don't stay), so there were some pretty dumb decisions made during her tenure, but she had no power to do anything about them.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 11:11:59 PM »
Thanks. I called today and said I couldn't consider the range but would love the opportunity if they could bump it up by $xx,xxx. I really would have loved the job but by Gaz's scenario, it would be a 1 of 3 love fest.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2006, 09:51:52 PM »
Cross your fingers for me. Ideal potential called today and I have a phone screening on Wednesday. Getting my homework done on it now.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2006, 09:01:58 AM »
Cross your fingers for me. Ideal potential called today and I have a phone screening on Wednesday. Getting my homework done on it now.

Ooh!  Promising!  Change that sig quote, there's not nowhere to go!   :D
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2006, 01:51:14 PM »

Good Luck Ali!

I had a phone interview this morning also, and am waiting to have one for a separate possibility.  The one today went well enough, but I know they have many candidates, most of whom are internal, so heaven only knows if I'll be invited back for face to face interviews in another 10 days or so.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Job Thread
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2006, 09:42:02 PM »
I was part of a pool of nine. Three will make it to the next level and I'll hopefully hear next week. I feel like it went well and I should be a strong candidate. There is one competency I'm short on but it's a desired, not a required.

Good luck to you Mshray. We'll both get an offer sooner or later.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
today
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2006, 10:08:14 PM »
I started my new job today, and I'm already so tired!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: today
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2006, 10:10:39 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

No more ballgames for you on a school night young man!!!
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2006, 10:12:11 PM »

Well, if someone sent you free tix to section 121, row O, and a parking pass, would you go? :lol:
http://www.tickets4u.com/VenueMaps/PacBellPark_ALL.gif

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2006, 10:33:45 PM »

Well, if someone sent you free tix to section 121, row O, and a parking pass, would you go? :lol:

I sure as hell would. Those are some nice seats--I have a friend with tix in 122 row W, and I thought his seats were great, but the ones you had are better.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 11:46:35 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
I sure as hell would. Those are some nice seats--I have a friend with tix in 122 row W, and I thought his seats were great, but the ones you had are better.
Well, it's going to take some time for me to get in the swing of things.  I have very poor time-management skills right now.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2006, 11:46:57 PM »

Silly question!  :wink: Watch for me on TV at the game tomorrow. I have a big orange poster board, with writing on it to welcome back Rich Aurilia and asking Kruk not to eliminate me!

Me grow up? Never!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2006, 07:30:00 AM »

Silly question!  :wink: Watch for me on TV at the game tomorrow. I have a big orange poster board, with writing on it to welcome back Rich Aurilia and asking Kruk not to eliminate me!

Me grow up? Never!

Say hello to Scott Hottie-berg for me :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2006, 09:11:38 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Me grow up? Never!

Say hello to Scott Hottie-berg for me :wink:

Come to the game!
Sharks bleed teal.