Author Topic: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)  (Read 95067 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 11:27:45 AM »
I wasn't aware of this, but the SJ Merc fired Brad Kava last month -- he got all of 2 weeks severance pay!  So he's started his own blog:

http://kavasradiosoup.blogspot.com/
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »
Say it isn't so!  The Weekly World News is about to cease publishing!

http://www.reuters.com/article/industryNews/idUSN7O23037320070724

What will become of BatBoy???

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 11:42:31 AM »
"From now on... this is a FREE FESTIVAL!"

Ok, not exactly Woodstock, but after 2 years of charging a subscription fee for certain articles, the NY Times website is maiking everything free again:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/18/business/media/18times.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 10:56:46 AM »
Nice piece on Debbie Harry from the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/16/arts/music/16harr.html

Haven't heard any reviews of her new album.  I wasn't wowed by lead single "Two Times Blue."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 08:00:10 AM »
For those who keep up with such things: Joe Levy is leaving Rolling Stone to become EIC of Blender.  I haven't read Blender since letting my subscription lapse two years ago, and it's been even longer since I bothered with RS, so no idea if this is a good thing.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 08:11:46 AM »
For those who keep up with such things: Joe Levy is leaving Rolling Stone to become EIC of Blender.  I haven't read Blender since letting my subscription lapse two years ago, and it's been even longer since I bothered with RS, so no idea if this is a good thing.

the guy who writes about politics for RS, Taibbi (forget his first name; wonder if he's related to Mike Taibbi of NBC fame) was on Colbert this week; he seemed rather unintelligent in a stoner/surfer-dude kinda way. I was not impressed

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »

the guy who writes about politics for RS, Taibbi (forget his first name; wonder if he's related to Mike Taibbi of NBC fame) was on Colbert this week; he seemed rather unintelligent in a stoner/surfer-dude kinda way. I was not impressed

Matt.  He used to write for the NY Press (the Voice's competition) and showed a lot of talent that he often undermined with gonzo stunts.  But he's one of the few lively voices out there among the young.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 07:34:21 AM »
Even for Maxim, this is a low:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP-Music-Black-Crowes-Maxim.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Black Crowes are lashing out at Maxim magazine for reviewing the band's new album -- apparently without actually hearing it first.

The review, published in Maxim's March issue, gives the Crowes' ''Warpaint'' a rating of two-and-a-half stars out of five.

''The writer -- who has not heard the album since advance CDs were not made available -- wrote what appears to be a disparaging assessment anyway, citing, `it hasn't left Chris Robinson and the gang much room for growth,''' said a statement on the band's official Web site.

The band's manager, Pete Angelus, said the magazine explained that its review was an ''educated guess.''  . . .

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 01:00:46 PM »

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Black Crowes are lashing out at Maxim magazine for reviewing the band's new album -- apparently without actually hearing it first.

The review, published in Maxim's March issue, gives the Crowes' ''Warpaint'' a rating of two-and-a-half stars out of five.

''The writer -- who has not heard the album since advance CDs were not made available -- wrote what appears to be a disparaging assessment anyway, citing, `it hasn't left Chris Robinson and the gang much room for growth,''' said a statement on the band's official Web site.

The band's manager, Pete Angelus, said the magazine explained that its review was an ''educated guess.''  . . .

Reminscent of a situation at our very own SF Chronicle a number of years ago. Music reviewer Heuwell Tircuit wrote an uncomplimentary review of a classical performance (don't recall if it was the symphony or another ensemble), and singled out a particular piece for his scorn. Turns out, at the last minute the program had been changed, and said piece had not been performed on the night he allegedly reviewed. His career at the Chronicle was essentially over when this came to light.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 05:24:01 PM »

Reminscent of a situation at our very own SF Chronicle a number of years ago. Music reviewer Heuwell Tircuit wrote an uncomplimentary review of a classical performance (don't recall if it was the symphony or another ensemble), and singled out a particular piece for his scorn. Turns out, at the last minute the program had been changed, and said piece had not been performed on the night he allegedly reviewed. His career at the Chronicle was essentially over when this came to light.

He took a rather Tircuitous route to unemployment.   ;)

Reminds me of an old Peter Sellers movie where he plays a theater critic. He's having an affair, and in order to be with his mistress, he skips a play he's supposed to see and writes a bogus review and slips it under his editors door. The review runs the next day -- on the same page as a story about how the theater burned down on opening night!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 10:48:55 PM »
Filed under "plagiarism is fun!":

http://www.slate.com/id/2196810/pagenum/all/

PS: I've met Jody Rosen, the author of this piece, a few times at EMP Pop Conferences.  Wonderful guy with an astonishingly erudite knowledge of vaudeville and pre-vaudeville tuneage.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 11:32:07 AM »
Filed under "plagiarism is fun!":

http://www.slate.com/id/2196810/pagenum/all/

PS: I've met Jody Rosen, the author of this piece, a few times at EMP Pop Conferences.  Wonderful guy with an astonishingly erudite knowledge of vaudeville and pre-vaudeville tuneage.

that's sad. reminds me of the haydensen flick...but without the compensation pomp.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 06:02:16 PM »
Ann Powers is one of the best music journos out there - she puts her utter heart into every project she takes on - and this is one of her better pieces, a talk with Dolly Parton as a 9 to 5 musical (!) approaches next year:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-ca-dolly21-2008sep21,1,6692849.story

(Guess we could use a "Music in Theater" thread, huh?)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 08:31:10 PM »
(Guess we could use a "Music in Theater" thread, huh?)

Or just a Theater (in general) thread.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 08:54:34 PM »
Maybe not the best thread but since it originated from the Journal...

Should I really be shocked? Well I was. Earlier in the week was reading the WSJ and there was an article about Trophy Kids and the Millennial generation. Just googled and found article at http://www.careerjournal.com/article/SB122455219391652725.html

Youngsters demanding jobs shape to their life style vs. having to buck up and get things done as your employer wants them done. I know times change and often for the better but this surprised me. Why do employers let it happen? Too costly to train new people? Are the kids really brighter than the majority of the unemployed seeking work? Hell no!
Sharks bleed teal.