Author Topic: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)  (Read 94978 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2009, 11:13:57 AM »
Hey, didya know that Every. Single. Issue of Billboard magazine is viewable on-line thanks to Google? Amazing stuff:

http://books.google.com/books?id=jhQEAAAAMBAJ&dq=billboard&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0#all_issues_anchor
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2009, 11:26:37 PM »
Hey, didya know that Every. Single. Issue of Billboard magazine is viewable on-line thanks to Google? Amazing stuff:

http://books.google.com/books?id=jhQEAAAAMBAJ&dq=billboard&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0#all_issues_anchor

Actually not every issue. I'm checking 1981 and the 1st half isn't listed.

While I have the Hot 100 Chart books, it's fun reading some of the other charts and articles.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »

While I have the Hot 100 Chart books, it's fun reading some of the other charts and articles.

pretty awesome.  This could suck away a lot of time.
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2009, 10:28:54 PM »

pretty awesome.  This could suck away a lot of time.
Wow, serious flashbacks
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
Copied this over from the Local radio thread, as it's a bit more on topic here:

http://sfppc.blogspot.com/2009/05/k-fox-sale-near-goodbye-greg-kihn.html

Check out the list of fired or bought-out Chronicle staff on the left column. Quite a few names there that are old timers, and will be missed: Edward Guthmann, Jesse Hamlin, Steve Winn, Ruthe Stein, Sylvia Rubin, Joel Selvin--all longtime Datebook writers, Nancy Gay and Gwen Knapp from the sports desk, Steve Rubinstein, a ton of photographers, a ton of copy editors, and more I'm not even mentioning. Christ, it's going to be very quiet at Myth and Fission from here on.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2009, 07:45:37 AM »
Copied this over from the Local radio thread, as it's a bit more on topic here:

http://sfppc.blogspot.com/2009/05/k-fox-sale-near-goodbye-greg-kihn.html

Check out the list of fired or bought-out Chronicle staff on the left column. Quite a few names there that are old timers, and will be missed: Edward Guthmann, Jesse Hamlin, Steve Winn, Ruthe Stein, Sylvia Rubin, Joel Selvin--all longtime Datebook writers, Nancy Gay and Gwen Knapp from the sports desk, Steve Rubinstein, a ton of photographers, a ton of copy editors, and more I'm not even mentioning. Christ, it's going to be very quiet at Myth and Fission from here on.

it's so sad. So much talent has left the building.  many empty cubes, much stress.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 09:09:41 AM »
Peter Hartlaub needs a higher concept

Am I the only one who finds Hartlaub's recent high-concept fluff peices just a bit forced and dumbed down?  I know the Chron is trying to attract readers, but I don't feel his heart is really in these.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 09:14:45 AM »

Am I the only one who finds Hartlaub's recent high-concept fluff peices just a bit forced and dumbed down?  I know the Chron is trying to attract readers, but I don't feel his heart is really in these.

I guess in this case he's trying to be the new Joel Selvin (who was laid off). But yeah, he's all over the place, reviewing movies, theater, writing "The Poop" (their parenting blog)... 

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2009, 05:24:25 PM »

I guess in this case he's trying to be the new Joel Selvin (who was laid off). But yeah, he's all over the place, reviewing movies, theater, writing "The Poop" (their parenting blog)... 

yes, he's done better pieces, that's true --  it's fluffy, but it's only pop music.  :)   Since his beat is "Pop Culture" and not just pop music, he goes all over the place.  nice gig.

And unlike Joel Selvin, Peter Hartlaub can write about this subject and include a wide range of pop references -- like Tupac -- and not sound like a befuddled dinosaur windbag.  He knows what people like to read and comment on: it's got 225 comment so far, and his blog posts often stir up a lot of conversation.  He's been doing this kind of piece for a while. He did one where he came out of the closet as a Rush fan that was pretty good.  It lovingly touched many people here.   The article even quotes Dave Morey (he loves Barry Manilow) -- Read it here.   

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:34:39 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 09:31:59 AM »
... and not sound like a befuddled dinosaur windbag.  He knows what people like to read and comment on: it's got 225 comment so far

I wonder just when Joel went from "elitist, know-it-all blowhard" to "befuddled dinosaur windbag" -- growing old sucks.

I wasn't trying to put down Hartlaub too much, but I have issues writing articles just because he knows people will get riled up and make lots of comments.  Say what you will about Selvin, but he wasn't one to pander to his audience. 

But again, this is pop culture reporting, and it really is okay.  Just not up to this befuddled dinosaur's standards.   ;D
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »
And unlike Joel Selvin, Peter Hartlaub can write about this subject and include a wide range of pop references -- like Tupac -- and not sound like a befuddled dinosaur windbag.  He knows what people like to read and comment on: it's got 225 comment so far, and his blog posts often stir up a lot of conversation.  He's been doing this kind of piece for a while. He did one where he came out of the closet as a Rush fan that was pretty good.  It lovingly touched many people here.   The article even quotes Dave Morey (he loves Barry Manilow) -- Read it here.   

Interesting that he got the media-shy Dave to speak for attribution.  And the date on that was in 2004 -- 4 years before Hartlaub called Dave a "crank".

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 11:43:15 AM »
... and not sound like a befuddled dinosaur windbag.  He knows what people like to read and comment on: it's got 225 comment so far

I wonder just when Joel went from "elitist, know-it-all blowhard" to "befuddled dinosaur windbag" -- growing old sucks.

I wasn't trying to put down Hartlaub too much, but I have issues writing articles just because he knows people will get riled up and make lots of comments.  Say what you will about Selvin, but he wasn't one to pander to his audience. 

But again, this is pop culture reporting, and it really is okay.  Just not up to this befuddled dinosaur's standards.   ;D

yes, Peter does shoot from the hip more than Joel.  Peter is def younger and I think his writing reflects that a lot. He seems more fun than Joel, although I've never hung out w Joel, so who knows?  What's weird is that Joel was the "Senior Pop Music Critic" when he left the Chronicle, but I think -- to him -- pop music stopped in the mid-70s.
 ???   :P
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »

yes, Peter does shoot from the hip more than Joel.  Peter is def younger and I think his writing reflects that a lot. He seems more fun than Joel, although I've never hung out w Joel, so who knows?  What's weird is that Joel was the "Senior Pop Music Critic" when he left the Chronicle, but I think -- to him -- pop music stopped in the mid-70s.
 ???   :P

Joel taught Rock 1 and 2 at SF State -- I took both classes (eta:  circa 1979, 80).  And you are pretty much correct about his conception of popular music, though to him I don't think it even made into the '70s, period.

The classes were a blast, however, and you could tell the man truly loved his music.  Lecturing, he was somewhat annoying and in your face, but when he put a record on, he transformed into just another fan.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:22:47 PM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2009, 08:59:25 PM »
Years ago I wrote a note to Selvin expressing my interest in breaking into rock journalism.  He invited me over for a brief chat (he lived on Potrero HIll at the time); his basement was a library of shelves of vinyl and other music formats, and he had a full-sized jukebox in his kitchen.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”