Author Topic: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)  (Read 96040 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2010, 05:51:33 PM »
Question for Tinka --sorry if I've asked this before but... where does sfgate get their outside bloggers? Who picks these people? Zennie 62 is such a f***ing idiot. He makes LaSalle seem like Einstein. Truly, the guy is a moron.

some were recruited, others ask to be part of City Brights and we tell them yea or nay.

Zennie was a referral from the Chron's Op-Ed dept.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2010, 10:39:29 PM »
Question for Tinka --sorry if I've asked this before but... where does sfgate get their outside bloggers? Who picks these people? Zennie 62 is such a f***ing idiot. He makes LaSalle seem like Einstein. Truly, the guy is a moron.

some were recruited, others ask to be part of City Brights and we tell them yea or nay.

Zennie was a referral from the Chron's Op-Ed dept.

well, I'm sorry to hear that. ::)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
This could've gone under Movies or Copyedit 101 too.  I dunno which is more disturbing: the fact that Channel 5 wrote an article about "the best movie theaters in the Bay Area" that includes the Century 20 in Daly City (WTF?) -OR- the fact that they misspelled "Dailey City" when they did it -OR- the fact that SFGate is linking to this article *today* even tho' it's Two. Months. Old.  Talk about a clusterfuck.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/top-lists/top-5-bay-area-movie-theaters/

(and don't get me started about the Sundance Kabuki)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2011, 06:09:30 AM »
This could've gone under Movies or Copyedit 101 too.  I dunno which is more disturbing: the fact that Channel 5 wrote an article about "the best movie theaters in the Bay Area" that includes the Century 20 in Daly City (WTF?) -OR- the fact that they misspelled "Dailey City" when they did it -OR- the fact that SFGate is linking to this article *today* even tho' it's Two. Months. Old.  Talk about a clusterfuck.

The Century 20 theatre in Dailey Daly City is great if you enjoy hearing cell phones ringing and teenagers chatting during the movie.  WTF, indeed.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2011, 08:34:10 AM »

god, what a horrible little piece that was.  Some commenter said "Article should be re-titled “5 Bay Area Movie Theaters”". 

The SFGate home page used to have a twitter module that would flow in live tweets from various news sources, but now that real estate is being used to link to things 'Around The web'.  This one seems like a pretty poor choice. 

What do you have against the Kabuki?  The sell wine in the balcony!  which means movie and wine (no popcorn) for two could set you back $70.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »

What do you have against the Kabuki?  The sell wine in the balcony!  which means movie and wine (no popcorn) for two could set you back $70.

I find the patrons at the Kabuki are just a diff kind of annoying; instead of texting-teen meatheads it's upper-class-twit douchebags. I appreciate no-commercials but the surcharges just aren't worth it to me. And the "reserved seat" option is something I find useless -- at, say, Metreon, if some loudmouthed moron sits down behind me, I can move to the other side of the theater; at Kabuki, I'm stuck with my assigned seat.

So I only go there if it's the only theater showing a film I really want to see, which happens a few times a year -- last time I was there was labor day, to see "Animal Kingdom".  I nearly saw "Howl" there last fall but I'm glad I waited; it's on Comcast On-Demand right now for $4.99 and was totally worth 5 bucks (it's, like, 80 mins long) but $13 or $14 at Kabuki woulda been silly.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:11:37 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2011, 09:05:50 AM »

What do you have against the Kabuki?  The sell wine in the balcony!  which means movie and wine (no popcorn) for two could set you back $70.

I find the patrons at the Kabuki are just a diff kind of annoying; instead of texting-teen meatheads it's upper-class-twit douchebags. I appreciate no-commercials but the surcharges just aren't worth it to me. And the "reserved saet" option is something I find useless -- at, say, Metreon, if some loudmouthed moron sits down behind me, I can move to the other side of the theater; at Kabuki, I'm stuck with my assigned seat.

heh, I completely agree with you.   The entitled-bay-area-privileged- Berkeley-liberal-artsy- Prius-formerly-Volvo occasionally sanctimonious preachy attitude thing.  ah yes, we are so fortunate to be who we are, aren't we?

I've only been to the Kabuki once to see a current release (True Grit), although I see many movies there during the SF International Film Fest.  some group behind me munched popcorn and periodically chatted (quietly) during the movie.  Someone 'shushed' them and they stopped.   That kind of selfish behavior isn't reserved for any class of people, aside from no-class.  

I'm a finicky film-goer.  If I can't have the theater to myself when I see a movie, I want others around me who:

- don't talk
- don't eat popcorn or anything noisy
- don't sit beside me, in front of me or behind me.  
- don't laugh at things just to hear themselves laugh or b/c the movie cues them that THIS IS FUNNY.  

Assigned seats can be good or bad.  "yay!  we don't have to rush!" or  "Alas! we are stuck in crap seats."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:29:36 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2011, 09:37:42 PM »

The Century 20 theatre in Dailey Daly City is great if you enjoy hearing cell phones ringing and teenagers chatting during the movie.  WTF, indeed.
Well, I have had some trouble there as you noted, but it's hard to beat the easy access, and free parking.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »

Well, I have had some trouble there as you noted, but it's hard to beat the easy access, and free parking.

The parking is free, but a couple of times it has taken me 15 minutes or more to get out of the parking lot because of the volume of people all leaving at once, with there only being a single exit.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2011, 11:50:21 AM »
"An open letter to my wife, who hates Rush" by Peter Hartlaub

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/parenting/detail?entry_id=81886

very funny...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:53:01 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »

very funny...

I just *knew* someone would have posted this.  My favorite line:

I'm ready to accept the fact that my loved ones will never enjoy listening to Rush. All I ask is that you respect the idea of Rush.

Paging RGMike... ;)
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2011, 12:54:24 PM »

very funny...

I'm ready to accept the fact that my loved ones will never enjoy listening to Rush. All I ask is that you respect the idea of Rush.

Paging RGMike... ;)

It's a well-written piece. But Rush is still godawful. And 10 pages of comments was waaay to much for me to sift thru (I got as far as the guy who said he likes Rush In spite of Geddy's voice. LOL!)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2011, 02:08:16 PM »

very funny...

Paging RGMike... ;)

It's a well-written piece. But Rush is still godawful. And 10 pages of comments was waaay to much for me to sift thru (I got as far as the guy who said he likes Rush In spite of Geddy's voice. LOL!)

love this clip from Freaks and Geeks where Nick finds out there are other drummer besides Neil Peart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMBIH2TBpU
~CPL593H~

SFGuy

« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2011, 11:11:53 PM »
This is not the print media but it is media. Huffington Post sold to AOL for $315 million. This would put co-founder Arianna Huffington in charge of all AOL content.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/02/06/financial/f213530S22.DTL&tsp=1