Author Topic: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)  (Read 95918 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »
Years ago I wrote a note to Selvin expressing my interest in breaking into rock journalism.  He invited me over for a brief chat (he lived on Potrero HIll at the time); his basement was a library of shelves of vinyl and other music formats, and he had a full-sized jukebox in his kitchen.

Anyone know if he's still married to Keta Bill, who was one of the vocalists for Big Bang Beat/Zasu Pitts Memorial Orch? He had to take a little hiatus from the Chron a few years back when it came out he was using his column to promote his wife's gigs. Little conflict of interest. Just a little.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2009, 07:47:21 AM »
Years ago I wrote a note to Selvin expressing my interest in breaking into rock journalism.  He invited me over for a brief chat (he lived on Potrero HIll at the time); his basement was a library of shelves of vinyl and other music formats, and he had a full-sized jukebox in his kitchen.

So they're not kidding on his Sunday nite radio show when they say "live from his basement record library on Potrero Hill..."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2009, 12:58:27 AM »
The Washington Post has a good bit of its credibility at stake after it came out that they were offering to sell sponsorships for off-the-record "salons" with access to Post editors and reporters as well as highly placed members of Congress and other politicians. Their publisher, Katharine Weymouth, after trying to point the finger at their marketing department for arranging this debacle, is finally taking responsibility. The invitations to these "salons" were sent from her personal e-mail address, and were to be held at her home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/04/business/media/04post.html

Weymouth is the granddaughter of legendary Post publisher Katherine Graham, and the daughter of Newsweek senior editor Lally* Weymouth. And, in the "it's a small world" department, she is the niece of Talking Heads bassist Tina Weymouth.

And if I might venture a guess, she's also a fucking idiot.

*And apropos of nothing, I'd also like to mention that every time I read about a grown adult who goes by some waspy, baby-talk nickname that smacks of a bunch of Ivy League sorority sisters, I am truly disgusted.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 01:04:02 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »
Anyone who has ever been intersted in this topic needs to read this.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2009, 11:28:22 PM »
Article and short video clips provide insights into the personalities of Lennon, Bono, Dylan, Springsteen, Janis Joplin, Michael Jackson from longtime music critic of the LA Times. All of this is chronicled in his new memoir, "Corn Flakes with John Lennon (and Other Tales From a Rock 'n' Roll Life)" (the clips will run automatically one after another):
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-hilburn-lennon11-2009oct11,0,2380230,full.story

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2009, 11:57:20 PM »
Time Inc. laid off some Sports Illustrated staffers today.  More cuts are coming in the morning - perhaps to the tune of 400-500.  And I might be among them - as my boss had to acknowledge to me tonight, although my work has been stellar, I'm still kinda low on the seniority totem pole.

I'll know more in the afternoon.  Sigh.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2009, 07:40:48 AM »
Time Inc. laid off some Sports Illustrated staffers today.  More cuts are coming in the morning - perhaps to the tune of 400-500.  And I might be among them - as my boss had to acknowledge to me tonight, although my work has been stellar, I'm still kinda low on the seniority totem pole.

Fingers crossed for ya, bub.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2009, 08:05:06 AM »

oy.. like RGM said, fingers crossed.  Not sure how big Time, Inc. is, but 400-500 cuts seems huge.  The Chron has prob cut close to 300 or so (I may be waaay off, could be more...), but those cuts took place over many months.  If Times wants to strip that many jobs, they must have titles all over the place. 
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »

Likewise, my thoughts are with ya. One thing you have going for you by virtue of your junior-ity: you're probably not making as much as the folks who have been there long-term. So if they're looking to cut significant costs, that might work to your advantage.

400 to 500 positions in one fell swoop does sound pretty extensive. This recession is far from over.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »

Likewise, my thoughts are with ya. One thing you have going for you by virtue of your junior-ity: you're probably not making as much as the folks who have been there long-term. So if they're looking to cut significant costs, that might work to your advantage.

400 to 500 positions in one fell swoop does sound pretty extensive. This recession is far from over.

anyone heard anything from Gaz? The silence is kinda... ominous.  I read elsewhere that EW (also part of Time Inc) laid off some folks yesterday too.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »

anyone heard anything from Gaz? The silence is kinda... ominous.  I read elsewhere that EW (also part of Time Inc) laid off some folks yesterday too.

Nary a peep, but he did post a typically angry and pointed FB status aimed at the Catholic church's support of the Maine "marriage protection" measure a little while ago.

Hoping he was able to dodge the axe.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2009, 11:57:49 AM »

Nary a peep, but he did post a typically angry and pointed FB status aimed at the Catholic church's support of the Maine "marriage protection" measure a little while ago.

Hoping he was able to dodge the axe.

LOL! just saw his post, to which i say "Ditto, and right on mah brotha!" 

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2009, 08:07:34 PM »
Thanks for your concern; my silence was merely busy-ness at work.

I'll share the job info privately, but to confirm: I am still employed for at least the next two weeks.  But I have some decisions to make.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2009, 10:59:21 AM »
Company closes a bunch of gay newspapers, including Southern Voice and the Washington Blade (which just celebrated its 40th anniv):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/11/16/financial/f082518S53.DTL&tsp=1

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2009, 10:09:47 AM »
Check your loo!
Rare Darwin book found on toilet bookshelf
(11-22) 07:31 PST LONDON, United Kingdom (AP) --
An auction house says it is selling a rare first edition of Charles Darwin's "On the Origin of Species" found in a family's guest lavatory in southern England.
Christie's auction house said Sunday the book — one of around 1,250 copies first printed in 1859 — had been on a toilet bookshelf at a family's home in Oxford.
The book will be auctioned on Tuesday, the 150th anniversary of the publication of the famous work. Christie's said the book is likely to sell for 60,000 pounds ($99,000).
Darwin's "The Origin of Species" outlined his theory of natural selection, the foundation for the modern understanding of evolution.
Celebrations around the world this year have marked the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth.
On the Net: Darwin's Collected Works: http://darwin-online.org.uk/