Author Topic: The Next Club Get-Together  (Read 140955 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Next Club Get-Together
« Reply #420 on: February 28, 2011, 09:34:12 PM »
I probably won't make these events next Monday and Tuesday, but thought I'd mention 'em:

On Monday, March 7 from 6:30pm-9:00pm, in conjunction with the Larkspur Public Library, Richie Unterberger will show rare film clips of women rock and soul performers from the 1950s to the 1980s at the Redwood High School Little Theatre, at 395 Doherty Drive in Larkspur. Included will be clips by Wanda Jackson, Brenda Lee, the Ronettes, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, Dusty Springfield, Lulu, Janis Joplin, Grace Slick with the Jefferson Airplane, Nancy Sinatra, Joni Mitchell, Nico, Patti Smith, and others. Admission is free.

In commemoration of International Women's Day, on Tuesday, March 8 from 6:00pm-7:30pm, he'll show rare film clips of women rock and soul performers from the 1950s to the 1980s on the third floor of the Central branch of the Berkeley Public Library at 2090 Kittredge Street in downtown Berkeley. This is *not* the same program as the one he presented on the same theme at the library in 2008, or the same as the program in Larkspur detailed in the above paragraph. This features entirely different clips, including footage of performers such as the Shangri-Las, the Collins Kids, Carole King, Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith, Dusty Springfield, Linda Ronstadt, the Crystals, the Seekers, the We Five, and others. Admission is free.

Also, on Monday, March 14 from 6:30pm-8pm, he'll present an evening devoted to comic and "can you believe this actually happened" vintage rock clips, including oddities by the likes of the Beach Boys, Beatles, Rolling Stones, the Supremes, Arthur Brown, Neil Innes, the Everly Brothers, Johnny Cash, and a bunch of people you've never heard of at the Antioch Library at 501 West 18th Street in Antioch. Admission is free.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 01, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
On the 5th I have kid sports until probably 3pm. Free after that. Sunday is open.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 01, 2011, 11:21:22 PM »
On the 5th I have kid sports until probably 3pm. Free after that. Sunday is open.

Saturday I'm with Mark for his kid's sports.   :)  I don't know what our evening plans are.

For Sunday, unless someone pipes up with another preference, I'll suggest revisiting something we did a couple of autumns ago: early afternoon brunch at the Citrus Club on Haight replete with birthday toasts, followed by browsing and carousing at Amoeba.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 02, 2011, 08:53:35 AM »

Saturday I'm with Mark for his kid's sports.   :)  I don't know what our evening plans are.

For Sunday, unless someone pipes up with another preference, I'll suggest revisiting something we did a couple of autumns ago: early afternoon brunch at the Citrus Club on Haight replete with birthday toasts, followed by browsing and carousing at Amoeba.

sounds like a plan -- should we make a reservation? last time we went on a Saturday; Sundays the brunch crowd is out in force.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 02, 2011, 09:30:48 AM »
That sounds good to me too.  Let's definitely make a reservation.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 02, 2011, 10:33:41 AM »

can we get a consensus as to what time?  I'd suggest noon if that's not too early for some folks, but please chime in.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 02, 2011, 10:35:48 AM »
Count me in.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 02, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »

can we get a consensus as to what time?  I'd suggest noon if that's not too early for some folks, but please chime in.
Noon is fine.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 02, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »

Noon or even 11 is bit better for me, especially if we hit Amoeba afterwards.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 02, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »

I won't be able to make it this weekend: me and the Ms are heading out of town for a spell.  Thankfully I'll get to see Gaz on Friday at the KFOG Concert, but I won't be able to see the rest of youse guys nor be able to buy the Shray-ster a drinkie-poo -- or give him a Fellow March 6 Birthday Bro Hug (TM) ..  :(

.. so can all of you gang up on him and give him a group hug from me?  Give yourselves one, too!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 02, 2011, 10:42:35 AM »

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 02, 2011, 10:54:39 AM »
Spaced on the Shray day. Reason to celebrate
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 02, 2011, 11:11:27 AM »

Turns out CC opens at 11:30. Maybe we shuld just plan to be there when the doors open.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 02, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »

Turns out CC opens at 11:30. Maybe we shuld just plan to be there when the doors open.
I'm good with that.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 02, 2011, 02:19:28 PM »

I'm good with that.

Me too.

--Carlos Santana, 2010