Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 250540 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2005, 02:39:23 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
OK, I have yet to hear the Black-Eyed Peas' "My Humps" -- but this writer for Slate says it's, like, The. Worst. Song. EVAH!

http://www.slate.com/id/2131640/

Gaz? Princess? Bueller?

Very comparable to Kelis's "Milkshake."  A fluff throwaway but so well produced and gratingly earwormy that it becomes a guilty pleasure.

I can forgive "Milkshake", but not its bastard offspring "Hollaback Girl".  I hate Gwen Stefani even more now that Aidin Vaziri has pronounced her a genius. And yes, he was serious.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2005, 07:41:57 AM »
I couldn't decide what thread to put this in, but: How 'bout them Grammy nominations?  Mariah CAREY?!?

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,17927,00.html

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2005, 11:32:07 AM »
I couldn't decide what thread to put this in, but: How 'bout them Grammy nominations?  Mariah CAREY?!?

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,17927,00.html

you know pariah was the only artist to have #1 hits every year throughout the nineties? and now she's back? i didn't even know she sang anymore. isn't it time she was relegated to the throes of reality tv stars?

i hate gwen stefani, too. more than i hate j.k. rowling, i think.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2005, 11:58:21 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
isn't it time she was relegated to the throes of reality tv stars?

"I'm Mariah Carey -- Get Me Out of Here."

Quote from: "princessofcairo"
i hate gwen stefani, too.

Bless you, my child. That forgives the Blondie thing.   :wink:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2005, 02:51:18 PM »
So I'm listening to Little Steven, and he plays "Walking With The Ghost", which was one of his Coolest Song in the World picks earlier this year, and I suddenly realize, it's not Teegan & Sarah  --  turns out to be a cover of the song by the White Stripes!  It's on an EP they've just put out.

Gaz at da Voice

New Music!
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2005, 08:51:37 PM »
So I'm listening to Little Steven, and he plays "Walking With The Ghost", which was one of his Coolest Song in the World picks earlier this year, and I suddenly realize, it's not Teegan & Sarah  --  turns out to be a cover of the song by the White Stripes!  It's on an EP they've just put out.

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0548,catucci,70478,22.html

(no, I didn't write it)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2005, 07:40:21 AM »
Quote from: "Gaz at da Voice"

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0548,catucci,70478,22.html

(no, I didn't write it)

I didn't know Jack White was anti-hip-hop... but now that I know, I like him even more :wink:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2005, 03:25:30 PM »
didn't know where to put this.  It seems music publishers are trying to shut down song-lyric websites. Seems they cut into sheet music sales...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051209-5730.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2005, 07:57:31 AM »
of special interest to Gaz, the first best of/worst of 2005 lists I've encountered:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/2005/

A friend sent me the link; I wasn't familiar with Pitchfork previously  Gaz will especially appreciate that Akon's "Mr Lonely" is on their Worst Singles list.  Did Akon really think Bobby Vinton was black? WTF?!?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2005, 09:36:25 AM »
didn't know where to put this.  It seems music publishers are trying to shut down song-lyric websites. Seems they cut into sheet music sales...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051209-5730.html

That may work for the domestic lyric sites, but all the offshore ones will be pretty much unaffected. Sort of like the internet gambling sites.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Robert Randolph
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2006, 02:37:49 PM »
in a classic case of digital cherry-picking, I was able to buy for $0.99  the track 'Trinity (Featuring Kirk Hammett & Robert Randolph)' from the new Santana album.  I don't have to wade through all the other stuff, and get to hear Robert Randolph's electrifying licks whenever I want.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Worst of 2005
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2006, 07:58:40 PM »
I haven't heard the Santana and wish I had -- I adored two non-hits from his previous album.

On the other hand, here are 10 songs from 2005 that you should be glad you haven't heard.

1. Simple Plan, “Untitled (How Can This Happen to Me)” — It’s not untitled. If you’ve got a subtitle, you've got a title. So shut up, whiny crackers. You’ve put together a remarkable streak of songs exponentially increasing in sucking predictability. You actually help make life dreary. This one’s abstractly written and poorly sung, just like everything else you’ve cynically created for 12-year-olds. Grow up. And I mean that.

2. Akon, “Lonely” — You're Mister Corny.

3. Natalie, “Goin’ Crazy” — Blender’s review summed this up perfectly: She claimed to have written this track in 15 minutes, but most of us could have done it in five.

4. Eminem, “Ass Like That” — You keed.  Is this what “Lose Yourself” was supposed to be leading up to? This and “Just Lose It” and “When I’m Gone”? I feel cheated.

5. Jessica Simpson, “These Boots Are Made for Walkin’ ” — An easy target, but deservedly so.

6. DHT, “Listen to Your Heart” — Whether you like Roxette’s music or not, you have to admit that Per Gessle had a sharp grasp of Beatlesque songcraft and Marie Fredriksson had a powerful well of a voice far outstripping those of the hair-metal poseurs. When they were on, they were on—and so it’s very disappointing to hear their work redone so inferiorly and emotionlessly.

7. Leo Kottke, “Sweet Emotion” — Speaking of pointless covers and emotion, this one didn’t even bother with catchiness to hook on to. Take all the Tyler ’n’ Perry cocksure hubris out of this, and all that’s left is a tepid song—nice science fair experiment, Lou.

8. Fiddy Cent, “Magic Candy Stick Shop” — Curtis is past the 12-minute mark.

9. Nickelback, “Photograph” — I appreciate that you’re trying to grow in your songcraft, guys, I really appreciate it, but please be aware that your legacy may yet amount to one line: “What the hell is on Joey’s head?”

10. Lifehouse, “You and Me” — the embodiment of a soullessness (the metaphysical sense, not the r&b one) plaguing contemporary young-adult entertainment: passing emptiness off as universal applicability. The lyrics meant nothing, the simpleminded strum providing the nation with a dumb campfire sing-along.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2006, 08:58:05 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2006, 03:07:39 PM »
from a review on slate.com of the new Mary J Blige CD:

"Toward the end of the album, Blige encounters a heretofore immovable object: Bono. In a live recording from the Hurricane Katrina relief telecast, she joins U2, one of the few acts in the world with a comparable mastery of the grandiose, to perform "One." Bono sings the song's first verse beautifully. Blige then steps forward and steals the song from him completely—swooping, growling, leaping into a supple falsetto and unleashing spiraling melismas—recasting U2's anthem as a troubled sister's condemnation and lament. Bono may have planned to sing another verse; he doesn't bother. What do you call a woman who can storm U2's stage and reduce rock's biggest ego to a shrinking violet? Diva seems too mild a word."

has anyone heard this? or seen the video?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
one
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2006, 04:06:03 PM »
from a review on slate.com of the new Mary J Blige CD:

"Toward the end of the album, Blige encounters a heretofore immovable object: Bono. In a live recording from the Hurricane Katrina relief telecast, she joins U2, one of the few acts in the world with a comparable mastery of the grandiose, to perform "One." Bono sings the song's first verse beautifully. Blige then steps forward and steals the song from him completely—swooping, growling, leaping into a supple falsetto and unleashing spiraling melismas—recasting U2's anthem as a troubled sister's condemnation and lament. Bono may have planned to sing another verse; he doesn't bother. What do you call a woman who can storm U2's stage and reduce rock's biggest ego to a shrinking violet? Diva seems too mild a word."

has anyone heard this? or seen the video?

you certainly got my attention!  I'd pay $0.99 for that anyday!

update:  yup, found it on iTunes, and yup, definitely worth $0.99!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!