Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 255788 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2006, 09:53:47 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "mshray"
Annalisa just played a song called "Afterglow" by the reinvented INXS.

It actually sounded real nice at first listen, but it definitely did not sound like signature INXS.  If she hadn't tipped it I would have thought it generic but nice KFOG music.

There was a discussion of that one last week when Benson the PD came in for New Releases. Apparently they've gotten tons of nasty emails from (mostly older) Fogheads who hate it because the new lead singer was chosen via that reality show.  And Benson defended it because he thinks it's actually a good song.

Maybe they should be reminded that the Monkees were created via a less democratic reality show.  Just because someone's auditioned doesn't mean they can't bring heart to the part.

Well, I suspect the emailers in question probably didn't like the Monkees in 1967 either.  But this is one of those generational things. I didn't send Benson a nasty email, but I never watched the INXS reality show and found the idea pretty cheezy.  I have rather old-fashioned ideas about musical authenticity. :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Monkees
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2006, 10:56:52 PM »
Well, I suspect the emailers in question probably didn't like the Monkees in 1967 either.  But this is one of those generational things.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Monkees.  When it was new, and I was in high school, I really liked the show, but I never really took them too seriously as a band.  It was later that they really tried to curry critical favor.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2006, 08:34:22 AM »
A very humorously-written review of Jamie Foxx's new CD:

http://www.slate.com/id/2134220/?nav=fo

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2006, 04:33:02 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
from a review on slate.com of the new Mary J Blige CD:

"Toward the end of the album, Blige encounters a heretofore immovable object: Bono. In a live recording from the Hurricane Katrina relief telecast, she joins U2, one of the few acts in the world with a comparable mastery of the grandiose, to perform "One." Bono sings the song's first verse beautifully. Blige then steps forward and steals the song from him completely—swooping, growling, leaping into a supple falsetto and unleashing spiraling melismas—recasting U2's anthem as a troubled sister's condemnation and lament. Bono may have planned to sing another verse; he doesn't bother. What do you call a woman who can storm U2's stage and reduce rock's biggest ego to a shrinking violet? Diva seems too mild a word."

has anyone heard this? or seen the video?

i just downloaded it, and am listening now. it's good, but, damn, i thought i was going to hear the likes of aretha and patti, the way the reviewer was carrying on. perhaps i haven't downloaded the live version. i downloaded the version from the itunes version of the album, the breakthrough. the song certainly doesn't sound like a live performance. maybe there's a different version on the tangible copy of the album.

ok, the more i listen, the more i like.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2006, 10:19:09 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Annalisa just played a song called "Afterglow" by the reinvented INXS.

It actually sounded real nice at first listen, but it definitely did not sound like signature INXS.  If she hadn't tipped it I would have thought it generic but nice KFOG music.

There was a discussion of that one last week when Benson the PD came in for New Releases. Apparently they've gotten tons of nasty emails from (mostly older) Fogheads who hate it because the new lead singer was chosen via that reality show.  And Benson defended it because he thinks it's actually a good song.

Maybe they should be reminded that the Monkees were created via a less democratic reality show.  Just because someone's auditioned doesn't mean they can't bring heart to the part.

Well, I suspect the emailers in question probably didn't like the Monkees in 1967 either.  But this is one of those generational things. I didn't send Benson a nasty email, but I never watched the INXS reality show and found the idea pretty cheezy.  I have rather old-fashioned ideas about musical authenticity. :wink:

Brad Kava in the Merc, on the INXS concert:

"Does this mean that someday the surviving members of Nirvana might go out and find a lounge-singer Kurt Cobain and try its luck again?

That's a scary thought, almost as scary as the idea that Queen might go on the road, replacing its swishy and flashy lead singer with some little macho sleeveless shirt-wearing leaden-voiced rocker.

What? That's already happened?

Ow. "

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2006, 12:48:46 PM »
Not sure if anyone here is interested in picking up the Children of Nuggets box that Rhino put out last year, but if so, there are several new copies available on Ebay right now, and the going price seems to be around $37 (which is what I paid)--a good $20 under retail. Even with shipping ($6.50 or so--if they want more, they're gouging) it's a pretty good deal. Just do a search for Children of Nuggets and you should turn them up.
Let's get right to it.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2006, 09:53:44 AM »
So, today while blog-searching I downloaded a duet of "Hey Hey My My" that Neil Young did with DEVO on some crazy-ass project Neil did awhile back... (it's towards the end of the first entry on the page...)

http://blog.wfmu.org/

THEN- I find this article:

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Video+%26+DVD&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270352&obj_id=50571

It's a weird world, kinda.
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2006, 10:05:08 PM »
FYI (this means you, princess): KFOG is playing the new Donald Fagen.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2006, 09:44:23 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"
So, today while blog-searching I downloaded a duet of "Hey Hey My My" that Neil Young did with DEVO on some crazy-ass project Neil did awhile back... (it's towards the end of the first entry on the page...)

http://blog.wfmu.org/

THEN- I find this article:

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Video+%26+DVD&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270352&obj_id=50571

It's a weird world, kinda.

I think the Devo/Neil version of Hey Hey My My was recorded around 1977, when Neil was filming Human Highway (Devo appears in the film). It was long only available on bootleg but now I think it's out on DVD in all its weirdness. Believe me, Greendale is Gone With the Wind in comparison with HH.

And I posted a link to the disney Devo2 page in the "Another sign of the demise of the record industry" thread about a week or so ago.
Let's get right to it.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2006, 09:58:27 AM »
And I posted a link to the disney Devo2 page in the "Another sign of the demise of the record industry" thread about a week or so ago.

Sorry...  :oops:
nakes? On my plane?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2006, 12:02:44 PM »

I haven't heard it yet.  When's he coming to town?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2006, 12:42:20 PM »

I haven't heard it yet.  When's he coming to town?

3/28 Oakland, Paramount Theatre; tics on sale: 2/5

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »
If anyone's interested in actually hearing what this new DEVO 2.0 will sound like- there's 2 mp3s posted at this blog:

http://www.somevelvetblog.blogspot.com/

Apparently? It's kinda suckful. I haven't listened to them yet myself...
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2006, 01:25:01 PM »
Quote from: "Beej"
If anyone's interested in actually hearing what this new DEVO 2.0 will sound like- there's 2 mp3s posted at this blog:

http://www.somevelvetblog.blogspot.com/

Apparently? It's kinda suckful. I haven't listened to them yet myself...

"suckful"?  that could be the Word of the Year -- it's even better than "truthiness"!

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2006, 01:30:36 PM »
LOL! "Truthiness" is a great word! I'm gonna try and use it everyday.

Example:

"The statement 'DEVO 2.0 is not suckful' lacks a certain truthiness".
nakes? On my plane?