Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 155440 times)

RGMike

  • The Core
  • Eight Miles High
  • *****
  • Posts: 78306
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 07:48:50 AM »
Here's a terrific interview with Rodney Crowell from today's Chron:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2005/09/29/derk.DTL

His new CD is getting lots of play on KPIG; shame on KFOG for not being adventurous enough to give it a spin.  God forbid another Coldplay clone should go unplayed.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

  • The Core
  • Eight Miles High
  • *****
  • Posts: 78306
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 08:31:22 AM »
Benson the PD is on KFOG for New Releases Thurs -- new Depeche Mode. Yeah, sounds like DM all right.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

  • The Core
  • Eight Miles High
  • *****
  • Posts: 78306
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 07:40:25 AM »
OMG! Aidan Vaiziri writes a practically snark-free picec on Franz Ferdinand in the Chron:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/05/DDG1JF21J01.DTL
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

  • The Core
  • Eight Miles High
  • *****
  • Posts: 78306
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 12:50:30 PM »
this link may not work if you're not registered with the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/05/arts/music/05hall.html?8hpib

But a buncha indie rock types have done a parody of "Do They Know It's Xmas?" called "Do They Know it's Halloween?"  Wonder if Dave'll play it on this year's "spook-tacular"?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Anonymous

  • Guest
New Music!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 08:42:17 AM »
New Music, OLD music. What year was One Tin Soldier by Coven?

Listen children to a story
That was written long ago
'Bout a kingdom on a mountain
And the valley folk below
On the mountain was a treasure
Buried deep beneath a stone
And the valley people swore they'd
Have it for their very own

Go ahead and hate your neighbor
Go ahead and cheat a friend
Do it in the name of heaven
You can justify it in the end
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgment day
On the bloody morning after
One tin soldier rides away

So the people of the valley
Sent a message up the hill
Asking for the buried treasure
Tons of gold for which they'd kill
Came an answer from the kingdom
With our brothers we will share
All the secrets of our mountain
All the riches buried there

Now the valley cried with anger
Mount your horses draw your sword
And they killed the mountain people
So they won their just reward
Now they stood beside the treasure
On the mountain dark and red
Turned the stone and looked beneath it
Peace on earth was all it said

RGMike

  • The Core
  • Eight Miles High
  • *****
  • Posts: 78306
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 08:51:18 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
New Music, OLD music. What year was One Tin Soldier by Coven?

Listen children to a story
That was written long ago
'Bout a kingdom on a mountain
And the valley folk below
On the mountain was a treasure
Buried deep beneath a stone
And the valley people swore they'd
Have it for their very own

Go ahead and hate your neighbor
Go ahead and cheat a friend
Do it in the name of heaven
You can justify it in the end
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgment day
On the bloody morning after
One tin soldier rides away

So the people of the valley
Sent a message up the hill
Asking for the buried treasure
Tons of gold for which they'd kill
Came an answer from the kingdom
With our brothers we will share
All the secrets of our mountain
All the riches buried there

Now the valley cried with anger
Mount your horses draw your sword
And they killed the mountain people
So they won their just reward
Now they stood beside the treasure
On the mountain dark and red
Turned the stone and looked beneath it
Peace on earth was all it said


The song was released several times: in 1969 (by The Original Caste), then the following year by Coven, and again the year after that (to quote Monty Python) when it was used in "Billy Jack".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

  • The Core
  • Super Scribe
  • *****
  • Posts: 5456
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 09:01:53 AM »
I wonder which one is my childhood memory. I sang the lyrics over and over ad nauseum.
Sharks bleed teal.

Anonymous

  • Guest
New Music!
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 09:02:23 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
The song was released several times: in 1969 (by The Original Caste), then the following year by Coven, and again the year after that (to quote Monty Python) when it was used in "Billy Jack".


I replied to this in the other thread -- but the Original Caste charted with it in 1970, then Coven hit with it in 1971, 1973, and 1974.  I'm not aware of another song that has had three distinct chart runs, not counting Christmas songs.

RGMike

  • The Core
  • Eight Miles High
  • *****
  • Posts: 78306
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 02:53:23 PM »
Kate Bush is back

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=3&entry_id=1501

and if that's a recent picture, she looks fab.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

  • The Core
  • Super Scribe
  • *****
  • Posts: 5456
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2005, 03:45:11 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Kate Bush is back

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=3&entry_id=1501

and if that's a recent picture, she looks fab.

She looks like a twin of Shannon Doherty.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

  • Administrator
  • Master Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 9152
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Kate Bush
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2005, 07:14:37 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Kate Bush is back

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=3&entry_id=1501

and if that's a recent picture, she looks fab.
She looks like a twin of Shannon Doherty.

I don't know much about Shannon Doherty, but Kate Bush I really like.  I may have to get this.  Direct link to video:

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/qtv/bluish/kate_bush/king_of_the_mountain_600.mov
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15259
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2005, 10:15:48 PM »
Went to the Virgin Megastore tonight after work.  Got some quick samplings:

Robbie Williams - sounding *really* good on Intensive Care, though it's a case of "if you already like them, you'll enjoy this, and if you don't, it won't convert you."  And I'm in awe of how he turns a rather unattractive body into one big block of sex.

Stevie Wonder - sounding better than anticipated on A Time 2 Love, especially on opening track "If Your Love Cannot Be Moved."  It's overproduced in a way that suggests his handlers didn't trust his voice carrying him through -- lots of echoes and such -- that deprives the record of the earthiness that enlivened his early '70s recordings.  I think I would have been happier if Steveland had made an acoustic album.

Speaking of which, missed out on Alicia Keys Unplugged, some fat bitch was hogging the listening station and I shoulda pulled her bald.

Ahem.  Animal Collective sounding quite interesting on Feels.  I only know of them through a recent Voice interview piece, didn't think I'd like them, but I was curious, and it sounded really well thought out.  Somewhat reminiscent of the Futureheads' cover earlier this year of Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love" (did anyone else get to hear that?).

Alison Moyet has one of my top five albums of the year with Voice, released last year in Europe but only last month here.  She did so much more with her voice on this standards album than La Barbra did with hers on Bride Of Guilty.

And that's all I got, folks.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

  • The Core
  • Eight Miles High
  • *****
  • Posts: 78306
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2005, 08:27:23 PM »
Just what we've all been waiting for, I'm sure: Major League Baseball "presents"... Jimmy Buffett Live at Fenway.

http://click.mlb.com/ct/click?q=b4-aJlbQ6ZAxDlyfp1qJ7IfkTDdPMuR
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

  • The Core
  • Eight Miles High
  • *****
  • Posts: 78306
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2005, 07:42:59 AM »
Especially for Gaz: the new box set of obscure girl-group gems, One Kiss Can Lead to Another

http://www.slate.com/id/2129722/
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

  • The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
  • *****
  • Posts: 15274
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2005, 09:13:48 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Especially for Gaz: the new box set of obscure girl-group gems, One Kiss Can Lead to Another

http://www.slate.com/id/2129722/


That title sounds like it could have some relevance to another recent thread--I'll let you figure out which. ;)
Let's get right to it.